I can't believe my eyes, these QB's actually throw spirals

Watching the practice highlights and it appears we might actually have a qb with an arm finally. This is a huge start.

It's been a rough time for me personally with the hatred I have had for Trentative/Fitzpicksix/Losman etc. Just no hope with any of them ever existed IMO.

No more Amish popgun fluttering ragarm nonsense.

This is a start, kudos to Marrone for standing up to the shmos in the local media (Coach Sal/Murph excluded) fans of both of theirs.

EJ is huge, I wonder if he has any big ben/culpeper (for a second) like ability to shake off the sacks.

That's actually one of the first things I noticed too when watching the practice videos. Manuel especially throws a really nice spiral down the field. I know it doesn't mean that much in grand scheme of things but its still nice to see after the last few years of wobbling footballs from our QBs.

Agree as Jason Campbell and Jeff George both threw nice spirals w less than stellar accuracy

Just gotta hope the trend of young qbs flourishing lately is the trend.

Kaep/rg3/Wilson are beyond amazing IMO. I got no prob with Tannenhill. Gabbert the main scrub of the group.

That's actually one of the first things I noticed too when watching the practice videos. Manuel especially throws a really nice spiral down the field. I know it doesn't mean that much in grand scheme of things but its still nice to see after the last few years of wobbling footballs from our QBs.

I know what you mean with 'it doesn't mean that much', given many successful QBs through history who didn't/couldn't throw tight spirals, but it DOES mean something. The tighter the spiral, the faster it goes and the more consistently a passer can count on his ability to put it where it needs to be. An added plus is the way it will cut through strong winds.

It does make a huge difference. Duck balls lose velocity, accuracy, and distance when thrown. Those tight spirals are a blessing.

I remember watching a video on passes I think Drew Brees was who they had throwing them in the video.

Edited by BuffaloFood

What a striking difference it is to watch Manuel effortlessly throw the deep ball. Watching Fitz or even Kolb throw those deep passes you immediately recognize how much effort and body torque they are applying to a type of pass that EJ comfortably makes.

As the prior posts state having arm strength doesn't automatically translate into being a successful qb but at least it indicates that the qb has an important attribute for the position.

The most important issue in this upcoming season is determining whether Manuel is a legitimate franchise qb. That is even more important than what the team's record is. I would rather EJ get plenty of playing time at the expense of victories if that will accelerate his development. Winning more games with Kolb as the starter is less meaningful than having a worse reocrd with Manuel with the benefit of more quickly learning his position.

The foundation for success for any franchise relates to the caliber of its starting qb. Once that is established then your team has a legitimate chance to be a serious team. That is the central issue for this team and franchise this year.

Watching the practice highlights and it appears we might actually have a qb with an arm finally. This is a huge start.

It's been a rough time for me personally with the hatred I have had for Trentative/Fitzpicksix/Losman etc. Just no hope with any of them ever existed IMO.

This is a start, kudos to Marrone for standing up to the shmos in the local media (Coach Sal/Murph excluded) fans of both of theirs.

EJ is huge, I wonder if he has any big ben/culpeper (for a second) like ability to shake off the sacks.

Nice observation ... after watching Fitzy throw knucklers for awhile, I'd say throwing a tight spiral is pretty darn important in the Ralph. Jimbo could certainly spin a nice one, and whenever #12 stepped into a throw, you just knew the point of the ball was going to be delivered right into the numbers of Andre squaring across the middle. Or dropping right down the chimney to Lofton streaking down the sideline. Ah, the memories.

And I love the comparison ... we can only hope EJ has some Culpepper/the early years in him. Daunte was a lethal weapon for a time there, pretty much right up until I decided to select him first overall in my fantasy draft circa 2005.

The true test for EJ will be how well he can grasp the offensive concept, adapt to game time defensive looks, and lead his team to wins. there's no doubt about his physical ability, he's got everything you want in a franchise QB.

Listening to him in the interview, I feel like he has basic the concept down. From what I can tell, what Hackett has him doing is beautifully simple: Option 1, option 2, then dump to spiller or Freddy on a screen. He'll probably work up to a few more as time goes on.

I do want to start seeing more of those exotic blitzes that Pettine has been throwing at Kolb and see how he handles it.

But man, that is still one beautiful spiral. :)

Guy shoots bullseyes and gets a badge in rifle practice. Doesn't mean he's going to be good in combat. Throwing spirals is nice. Throwing spirals to a receiver is nicer. Avoiding the rush, recognizing the open man and getting the ball away and into the hands of an open receiver is nicer. I'm hoping Manuel is going to do all those things, but we won't know until the season actually starts.

Nice observation ... after watching Fitzy throw knucklers for awhile, I'd say throwing a tight spiral is pretty darn important in the Ralph. Jimbo could certainly spin a nice one, and whenever #12 stepped into a throw, you just knew the point of the ball was going to be delivered right into the numbers of Andre squaring across the middle. Or dropping right down the chimney to Lofton streaking down the sideline. Ah, the memories.

And I love the comparison ... we can only hope EJ has some Culpepper/the early years in him. Daunte was a lethal weapon for a time there, pretty much right up until I decided to select him first overall in my fantasy draft circa 2005.

One way in which EJ is already superior to Culpepper is hand size. Daunte constantly fumbled because he had baby-sized hands, and EJ's were the biggest of any QB coming out this year.

Please note that you are hereby banned from drafting EJ as your fantasy quarterback. You may have Tom Brady as a consolation prize however.

I am glad you had surgery to fix your blindness.

I hope your psychotherapy is working well to removal your irrational hatred.

Joe Dufek threw a nice tight spiral as well....

It does make a huge difference. Duck balls lose velocity, accuracy, and distance when thrown. Those tight spirals are a blessing.

I remember watching a video on passes I think Drew Brees was who they had throwing them in the video.

im assuming its the sports science episode where they put him up against an archer - its a cool little clip.