Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

Yeah the 1 million dollar+ per game is astounding. He (or at least his agent) sure saw Buddy Nix coming.

Yes his agent is Nostradamus and knew his client would get hurt play only 5 games and would be cut following year with regime change after most of the big money was spent. I hope the agent is picking the lottery tickets using all of your savings for you.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Hamilton from WGR a couple of years ago stated that it was a common practice for the finance boys to tell the football decsion-makers that a certain amount of salary had to be cut from the roster. According to PH they wouldn't dictate who was to be cut but what they would do (as you noted) is provide a list of players whose salary fell into the range that needed to be cut. The football people would then make the cut, whether they liked it or not. It was not a secret around the organization or even the league that the owner was financially squeezing his franchise at the expense of fielding a competitive team. . Ralph's piggy bank business model shamelessly took advantage of the system. That is why Ralph was resented by many of the owners, especially the newer and more modern owners

Under the new CBA that type of fiscal stringency is going to be mitigated because all teams will be required to spend up to 95% of the cap. The rule was instituted because of owners such as Ralph. There is nothing unusual for owners in all pro sports to consider salaries in relationship to player productivity. It is a business after all. But Ralph took it too another level.

Ralph missed the actual playoffs every year but his Bills made the net income playoffs virtually every year. They are pretty much a wildcard shoe-in every year in that regard. Somewhere around 10th. That is how Ralph worked. He is competitive but not committed to winning on the field.

Read it on my phone and wish I could have linked it then as it hit a nerve. Now I'm thinking it was a espn article?

The article was on organizational changes within the Bills. The reference to Jim Overdorf was something along the lines of

He still has the power to sway any contractual signings. My take was he can reject and does indeed to do the contract numbers not a GM.

Having "sway" doesn't mean he has the FINALLY call. I'm sure they have established some sort of regime by which they manage the cap and he is the guy who crunches the numbers and recommends contract numbers, and probably raises the issue when they are considering straying from that regime, but that doesn't mean he FINALLY decides whether a contract offer gets made or not.

Having "sway" doesn't mean he has the FINALLY call. I'm sure they have established some sort of regime by which they manage the cap and he is the guy who crunches the numbers and recommends contract numbers, and probably raises the issue when they are considering straying from that regime, but that doesn't mean he FINALLY decides whether a contract offer gets made or not.

Did you hear about how Lawyer Milloy was cut as a total surprise to the coaches and GM at that time?

Somehow, saying he doesn't have the "FINALLY call" [sic] seems weak, when the transcript reads like an ultimatum. "We were told we had to cut $X million and given a list of players to choose from. We had to make a decision or have one imposed on us."

Did you hear about how Lawyer Milloy was cut as a total surprise to the coaches and GM at that time?

Somehow, saying he doesn't have the "FINALLY call" [sic] seems weak, when the transcript reads like an ultimatum. "We were told we had to cut $X million and given a list of players to choose from. We had to make a decision or have one imposed on us."

I recall that Milloy, Adams, and Campbell were all released a week prior to free agency in March, 2006 in order to clear salary cap space. They were also hoping to re-sign Moulds. I also remember Marv Levy talking about how sometimes tough and sad choices needed to be made with players you still have a high regard for. This is the first I've heard that Marv and the coaches didn't have advance knowledge on these players. Considering this was a new regime coming in at the time, it's very hard to believe that's how it went down.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Ralph missed the actual playoffs every year but his Bills made the net income playoffs virtually every year. They are pretty much a wildcard shoe-in every year in that regard. Somewhere around 10th. That is how Ralph worked. He is competitive but not committed to winning on the field.

Ralph's business model has been in place since its inception. That's why the history of the Bills is weighted toward the losing side over the winning side. Chuck Knox, Bill Polian and John Butler all faced the same internal tug a war with the financial people. When the conflict between pugnacious Bill Polian got out of hand with Littman the owner (not surprising) sided with his finance employee over the football employee.

Ralph is now basically out of the picture. His financial guardians are still hovering over the organization. But the system under the new CBA has changed where all teams are required to spend at similar levels. That is not to say that there won't be internal financial maneuvers to squeeze more out of the franchise but it will be less of a factor.

Although I have little regard for this shyster owner and the way he has run the franchise I do believe that when the owner turned the keys of the operatiion to Brandon that there was a glimmer of hope. With Nix's departure and Whaley's elevation and the hiring of a new and more vibrant coaching staff it has changed the gloomy atmosphere to a more hopeful one.

Both the Seahawks and the Redskins turned around their stagnant franchises over a three year period. Each team last year were serious teams that came close to being SB participants. There is no reason that over a similar period of time this frustrating franchise shouldn't be able to elevate itself into being a serious team. What both of those teams have in common is that by finding their franchise qb it accelerated their rebuilding task. Is Manuel the qb who can propel this franchise upward? We'll find out this year.

OK so once again, where is the evidence that Jim Overdorf is making that call? Seems weak when there is absolutely no evidence, but only assumption, that because he is their cap and numbers guy, that this was somehow his decision.

At that time, Overdorf reported to Russ and Ralph. Are you trying to tell me that they had no input and that they were as surprised as the GM and the Coach were? I think NOT.

I am sure that Jim is asked to make recommendations. I'm sure he is given parameters within which to work, whether it's in negotiations with players or whether it's roster and cap planning. I am sure he reports to Brandon when they stray from those parameters and adjustments must be made.

I have seen ZERO evidence that Jim Overdorf is making those calls himself and somehow the men over him have nothing to say about it.

Edited by BuffaloBob

When Lee Evans didn't catch that pass in the endzone from Flacco that would have sent the Ravens to the Super Bowl........that was the highlight of the Bills season for you. Admit it. :rolleyes:

Nah, the highlight of the Bills season that year for me was collecting a 4th rd pick for a guy that logged four more catches in his career.

OK so once again, where is the evidence that Jim Overdorf is making that call? Seems weak when there is absolutely no evidence, but only assumption, that because he is their cap and numbers guy, that this was somehow his decision.

At that time, Overdorf reported to Russ and Ralph. Are you trying to tell me that they had no input and that they were as surprised as the GM and the Coach were? I think NOT.

I am sure that Jim is asked to make recommendations. I'm sure he is given parameters within which to work, whether it's in negotiations with players or whether it's roster and cap planning. I am sure he reports to Brandon when they stray from those parameters and adjustments must be made.

I have seen ZERO evidence that Jim Overdorf is making those calls himself and somehow the men over him have nothing to say about it.

Jeff Littman, the treasurer of the franchise, is the main financial person who has the most influence regarding the finances of the franchise. He is Ralph's most trusted advisor who works out of Michigan. I don't believe, as you do, that Overdorf makes any personnel decisions. What happens is that Littman determines whether enough cash is flowing to the homebase (Ralph's pockets) in Michigan. If expectations are not being met then a review of the player salaries maintained by Overdorf's office is examined. Overdorf compiles the salaries that will meet Littman's bottom line demand and hands it over to the football side of the operation. The football people then examine the menu of salaries/players and make the decison as who to cut. Littman and Ralph give a rat's ass over who is going to be cut. Their focus is on the money.

Jeff Littman, the treasurer of the franchise, is the main financial person who has the most influence regarding the finances of the franchise. He is Ralph's most trusted advisor who works out of Michigan. I don't believe, as you do, that Overdorf makes any personnel decisions. What happens is that Littman determines whether enough cash is flowing to the homebase (Ralph's pockets) in Michigan. If expectations are not being met then a review of the player salaries maintained by Overdorf's office is examined. Overdorf compiles the salaries that will meet Littman's bottom line demand and hands it over to the football side of the operation. The football people then examine the menu of salaries/players and make the decison as who to cut. Littman and Ralph give a rat's ass over who is going to be cut. Their focus is on the money.

This is so far from reality, it's laughable.

GO BILLS!!!

heard somewhere, that Lawson was quite a good pass rusher with the Bengals. Not sure. I've never noticed him okay honestly. But that's what I read somewhere. It was posted here recently. Not quite sure what post it was.

Dude are you channeling Hank Kimball?

Then, please, for the sake of the rest of our sanity, STOP BEING ONE.

I'll second that emotion.

Could you elaborate on your response?

Not sure it would do any good given the rash of your "Ralph is cheap" posts today, but ok.

Since the advent of the salary cap, every team has an Overdorf to act in the same role, chiefly to negotiate contracts towards satisfying cap requirements and maintaining cap compliance at all times. This is just not the job of GMs as it's cumbersome and detracts too much from the personnel side of things. It's too fluid a process before, during, and after the season.

Your assertion that Littman forwards a budget to Brandon and Overdorf and then forces them to have the GM and coaches pare the roster accordingly is actually backwards. It works in the complete opposite direction. Personnel requirements and decisions are made at the coaching/GM level with NO regard to cap constraints, initially. This is where Overdorf and his critical cap management skills come into play especially. If acquisitions need to and can be made without adversely effecting the cap, that's as far as it goes. This is seldom the case though, for EVERY team, as player acquisitions usually require movement somewhere else in order to maintain all important cap compliance. The cap rules every aspect of player movements on a club, from cutting and signing players, to placing them on IR, etc. Most teams in the league want to operate with a cap cushion as insurance against injury during the season, as well. Littman has nothing to do with any of that.

In the case of a huge cash expenditure, he is going to be consulted, like any CFO in any company. Mario is the latest obvious example. But most player-related issues don't even cross his desk. And contrary to the popular negative narrative, most of those expenditures have been given the OK. While Mr. Wilson has always been viewed as a miser, at one time he held the record for making players the highest paid at their respective positions over the years.

Then there are common sense player movements like the ones we've seen with Evans and Anderson. The conspiracy theorists like to blame Overdorf/Littman when the simple fact was that both were at salary levels not commensurate with production and/or the direction the team chose to go. EVERY team in the league makes these kinds of decisions all the time.

Like it or not, Littman has a financial responsibility to the organization as its CFO and not just as it pertains to player salaries and their impact on the bottom line. Additionally, he spends less of his time on Bills related issues than he does on Mr. Wilson's other business interests, including his work with Mr. Wilson's foundation.

I have to run right now. But I'll continue later.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure it would do any good given the rash of your "Ralph is cheap" posts today, but ok.

Since the advent of the salary cap, every team has an Overdorf to act in the same role, chiefly to negotiate contracts towards satisfying cap requirements and maintaining cap compliance at all times. This is just not the job of GMs as it's cumbersome and detracts too much from the personnel side of things. It's too fluid a process before, during, and after the season.

Your assertion that Littman forwards a budget to Brandon and Overdorf and then forces them to have the GM and coaches pare the roster accordingly is actually backwards. It works in the complete opposite direction. Personnel requirements and decisions are made at the coaching/GM level with NO regard to cap constraints, initially. This is where Overdorf and his critical cap management skills come into play especially. If acquisitions need to and can be made without adversely effecting the cap, that's as far as it goes. This is seldom the case though, for EVERY team, as player acquisitions usually require movement somewhere else in order to maintain all important cap compliance. The cap rules every aspect of player movements on a club, from cutting and signing players, to placing them on IR, etc. Most teams in the league want to operate with a cap cushion as insurance against injury during the season, as well. Littman has nothing to do with any of that.

In the case of a huge cash expenditure, he is going to be consulted, like any CFO in any company. Mario is the latest obvious example. But most player-related issues don't even cross his desk. And contrary to the popular negative narrative, most of those expenditures have been given the OK. While Mr. Wilson has always been viewed as a miser, at one time he held the record for making players the highest paid at their respective positions over the years.

Then there are common sense player movements like the ones we've seen with Evans and Anderson. The conspiracy theorists like to blame Overdorf/Littman when the simple fact was that both were at salary levels not commensurate with production and/or the direction the team chose to go. EVERY team in the league makes these kinds of decisions all the time.

Like it or not, Littman has a financial responsibility to the organization as its CFO and not just as it pertains to player salaries and their impact on the bottom line. Additionally, he spends less of his time on Bills related issues than he does on Mr. Wilson's other business interests, including his work with Mr. Wilson's foundation.

I have to run right now. But I'll continue later.

GO BILLS!!!

This is utter nonsense. The football people decided to outright cut Langston Walker? To release Lawyer Mallloy? The football people decided to cut Dwan Edwards? To trade Lee Evans? You've got to be joking,

Edited by Coach Tuesday

man, Buddy sure knew how to waste Ralph's money. Anderson, Merriman, Fitz.

This coaching staff to me knows how to judge talent. This gives me hope for the season.

And more cuts will come...Brad Smith and Lindell are walking on Thin ice as they enter training camp.

This is utter nonsense. The football people decided to outright cut Langston Walker? To release Lawyer Mallloy? The football people decided to cut Dwan Edwards? To trade Lee Evans? You've got to be joking,

Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.....These players were let go because their skill set was in the decline and their production did not match what they were getting paid or they did not match the scheme run by the new coaching staff. You simply don't want to try to insert a square peg into a round hole!

The great Lee Evans went on to prove the Bills wrong with his spectacular season with the Ravens after being released. I can't recall if Milloy and Walker were even picked up after the Bills.

Milloy played several years for the Atlanta Falcons, while Walker went back to the Raiders and played a few seasons