Are the Bills/Stevie gonna regret this photo posted on FB?

You're making a false equivalent.

Adults who wear tacky and "offensive" clothes aren't public figures. They don't go to photo shoots, they don't make public appearances.

Not really, I'm saying the idea of social norm is in the "eye of the beholder" so to speak. Just because Eball sees a social norm as one thing, does not mean another person sees it that way. I would opine, in fact, that his type of behavior is becoming the "social norm" to more and more people with the new generations coming through.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no decorum any more. No standards. No self respect. And what kind of narcissistic ahole wear a cap with his own name stitched on it as big as possible? What a dipshit.

Edited by Dante

There is absolutely no decorum any more. No standards. No self respect. And what kind of narcissistic ahole where a cap with his own name stitched on it as big as possible? What a dipshit.

That statement was filled with contradictions. Sarcasm?

Not really, I'm saying the idea of social norm is in the "eye of the beholder" so to speak. Just because Eball sees a social norm as one thing, does not mean another person sees it that way. I would opine, in fact, that his type of behavior is becoming the "social norm" to more and more people with the new generations coming through.

Okay fine. If that's the case, then you'd concede that people like Stevie help set those standards (assuming, unlike Dante has, that said standards exist). So where/how should he set them? Is he obligated to raise the bar? Wouldn't a choice like this be a choice to lower the bar?

What of Arian foster's reputation for how he chooses to dress whenever he's in front of the media?

As per your opining, I can't disagree. Heaven forbid our millionaire receiver be above it, though.

In what group of professional adults is it a "social norm" to wear USS FUHKMORE CV-69 shirts? I'll give you hip-hop artists, but that's not what Stevie is first and foremost.

By the way, they wouldn't be social norms if everybody did their own thing.

You're making a false equivalent.

Adults who wear tacky and "offensive" clothes aren't public figures. They don't go to photo shoots, they don't make public appearances.

Except for hip-hop stars as menitoned, nba players, nfl players, and musicians. What do they all have in common? No not that they are black! (This isn't PPP) It is that they are all ENTERTAINERS. At the end of the day they all fall in the same category. None of them are blue collar or even white collar. They are no collar. Their job is to provide entertainment to the masses. Their norm is not the same norm you have sitting behind a desk.

Okay fine. If that's the case, then you'd concede that people like Stevie help set those standards (assuming, unlike Dante has, that said standards exist). So where/how should he set them? Is he obligated to raise the bar? Wouldn't a choice like this be a choice to lower the bar?

What of Arian foster's reputation for how he chooses to dress whenever he's in front of the media?

As per your opining, I can't disagree. Heaven forbid our millionaire receiver be above it, though.

I understand the concern some of you are putting forth, believe me. I myself wish he would make some better choices sometimes. However, one cannot argue, he's been an upstanding citizen. There are bigger fish to fry in the realm of atheletes gone awry. It's not so bad with Stevie. He's a 26 year old who's enjoying his life. Just as has been pointed out in this thread, he's not breaking laws. That's saying a LOT in the current climate of professional sports. Just today we hear about Von Miller. Cut him some slack. He's worked hard, he's arrived, now let him have a little fun. I think a lot of you would be doing the same.

As far as what kind of standard should be set, I would also argue that that line is being blurred more and more with this current generation also. It seems that so much more is acceptable every year. It's a scary proposition in some respects. While we are constantly moving forward in some areas, it appears to me that we are quickly regressing in our social lives. This may be due to the ever increasing access to information and the smaller and smaller emphasis on face to face social activity that breeds respect for one another. All these message board hero's can sit behind their keyboards and spew hatred or inappropriate things. I digress, we could go on and on about this.

What I'm garnering from this thread is that ideally we'd like Stevie to dress like an 80 year old white guy. Although in the summertime, I've seen way more offensive clothing on some of them than anything Stevie's ever worn.

What I'm garnering from this thread is that ideally we'd like Stevie to dress like an 80 year old white guy. Although in the summertime, I've seen way more offensive clothing on some of them than anything Stevie's ever worn.

He should probably go to the thrift store with McLemore then...

I understand the concern some of you are putting forth, believe me. I myself wish he would make some better choices sometimes. However, one cannot argue, he's been an upstanding citizen. There are bigger fish to fry in the realm of atheletes gone awry. It's not so bad with Stevie. He's a 26 year old who's enjoying his life. Just as has been pointed out in this thread, he's not breaking laws. That's saying a LOT in the current climate of professional sports. Just today we hear about Von Miller. Cut him some slack. He's worked hard, he's arrived, now let him have a little fun. I think a lot of you would be doing the same.

As far as what kind of standard should be set, I would also argue that that line is being blurred more and more with this current generation also. It seems that so much more is acceptable every year. It's a scary proposition in some respects. While we are constantly moving forward in some areas, it appears to me that we are quickly regressing in our social lives. This may be due to the ever increasing access to information and the smaller and smaller emphasis on face to face social activity that breeds respect for one another. All these message board hero's can sit behind their keyboards and spew hatred or inappropriate things. I digress, we could go on and on about this.

What you're referring to is a generation awash with narcissism and self-entitlement. Stevie could be their poster boy, at this point.

What you're referring to is a generation awash with narcissism and self-entitlement. Stevie could be their poster boy, at this point.

Well, that could be so, but that could be construed as the social norm as I've tried to say. Just depends on who's looking at it.

This is a very get off my lawnish type post right here. Daggum kids!

Lol, that's the feeling I got with him too. He's only 29 year old according to his profile, I wonder what he'll be like when he's 80. He won't even warn the daggum kids, he'll just start shooting :nana:

Well, that could be so, but that could be construed as the social norm as I've tried to say. Just depends on who's looking at it.

This is a very get off my lawnish type post right here. Daggum kids!

Lol, that's the feeling I got with him too. He's only 29 year old according to his profile, I wonder what he'll be like when he's 80. He won't even warn the daggum kids, he'll just start shooting :nana:

Yeah...I take a lot of grief from my friends for being crotchety WELL beyond my years. :unsure:

Those "Grandparents Do It With Their Teeth Out" t-shirts really do need to go...

this is NOT ok from the viewpoint of his employer.

like it or not, these athletes also act as defacto PAID SPOKESPERSONS representing a BRAND called the NFL & Buffalo Bills.

it just isn't smart on stevies part.

and it's a disaster if this was a team sanctioned photo shoot. heads should roll.

this is NOT ok from the viewpoint of his employer.

like it or not, these athletes also act as defacto PAID SPOKESPERSONS representing a BRAND called the NFL & Buffalo Bills.

it just isn't smart on stevies part.

and it's a disaster if this was a team sanctioned photo shoot. heads should roll.

:lol: The people who posted the pic in the ifrst place?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I totally understand there is a long list of questionable "incidents."

I just think many on here assail his leadership (if he's viewed as one to begin with) based on little things like this. That, I find excessive.

Really? I think this is a really poor decision for an adult, except under very limited circumstances. I love crude humor, but there is a time and place for it. Just like the stupid celebrations and drawing penalties to the detriment of the team, or celebrating the fact that he doesn't take his off-season workouts seriously and yet can achieve the 20th ranked WR in the league. AWESOME DUDE!

I fail to see how making poor decisions does NOT reflect on his leadership ability. I love Stevie as a player. As a person, I'm sure he can be fun to hang around with, but how he conducts himself as a representative of the team is simply unprofessional on so many levels. It's as if he goes out of his way to do this crap every chance he gets.

A person who cannot conduct himself professionally, while great to have around at parties, is not someone on whom I would prefer to rely to lead my team.

I get the Peter Pan concept. It sucks having to grow up. But this is what we do. We find a way to celebrate the kid in us when appropriate, and otherwise we conduct ourselves with professionalism and put the team first. We try to do our absolute best, rather than rely on our natural ability to get us by.