Colin Kaepernick in a Dolphins hat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as ridiculous as this may sound, it seems that if a team is paying you millions of dollars (i know, he's still on a second round draft pick deal) and you know that football fans are not quite right in the head, and that everyone and their brother now has a camera phone, then maybe you should stick to your own team's gear. especially in the offseason when people are just pouncing on any little thing they can blow out of proportion and make a story of.

To add to what NoSaint said, if this happened to EJ Manuel or Kevin Kolb, the topic would be 15 pages by now and people here would be freaking out.

As your post implies, this is disloyal behavior. The Niners drafted him. They pay him.

On top of that he's the quarterback meaning he's the face of the franchise and bears a higher standard of behavior than the non-QB players. There's a reason QBs are expected to be the first player in, the last player out, the guy who organizes voluntary workouts on his own dime, and who when successful becomes the highest-paid player on the team.

How many other NFL QBs have ever been caught flying a competitors colors?

IMO this is really stupid behavior by Kaepernick and if this happened to one of the Bills QBs I'd be really pissed off.

It aint a big deal, and I don't care, but he should know better.

He gets a bazillion dollars to play for rabid fans. Show your colors already.

You wouldn't see a Microsoft exec wearing a Mac hat. No difference.

That's the example I said to someone pretty quickly.... He's the face of that teams franchise. His job is to win games and help sell the brand. As long as #1 is going well, #2 gets some leeway but if he has a bit of a slump or battles injuries its going to be a rough go with the fans if they think he's more into style than niner pride. I think some forget that he's only started a half season.... It's ballsy to be calling out the media and fans on something so obviously wrong, even if its not the big deal some make it out to be.

Odds are it amounts to nothing at all but why even stir the pot.

Good for Colin telling delusional homers to stick it. Although, Dolphin teal over the classy 49er look? C'mon, Colin.

It appears to me he chose it because the dolphin teal green matches his underwear.

Seriously though as inconsequential as it is, it not only demonstrates the lack of loyalty and corporate citizenship pointed out, what about his own personal pride? The former will ruffle the fans feathers, but the later really surprises in a game filled with intense competition and immense egos. Why wear the gear of an opponent??

Imagine if it were a Tanehill jersey or a ravens hat.

Wierd.

It's disrespectful to his team, it would be like working at the Ford plant but wearing a Chevy hat to work, not cool :thumbdown: . I realize he wasn't in SF but Athletes are videoed 24/7 and he needs to represent his own team and not act he is some fan boy of another team. Would we be OK with Jimbo wearing a Cowboys hat? I think not.

Truthfully, this shows either a little immaturity or lack of common sense on Kaepernick's part. I can't recall a situation in which I've seen a player in one professional sport wearing any gear from a team in that same sport other than his. Just silly, really -- why give people something to snipe at?

How many other NFL QBs have ever been caught flying a competitors colors?

IMO this is really stupid behavior by Kaepernick and if this happened to one of the Bills QBs I'd be really pissed off.

Your post encapsulates my feelings too. This is a stupid move on his part - not just that he wore the hat but his 'fu' response to criticism. It actually shows that he doesn't care for the fans. Which, in any professional sport, is a big no-no. I bet Harbaugh is more pissed that he doesn't have a viable backup option having traded away Smith. So, he cannot sit CK as a disciplinary measure without risking a few games.

And those saying that it matched the rest of his .. ahem... clothes, couldn't he have either bought a plain teal cap ? Or worn different colored underwear ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I think he should be allowed to dress how he wants in his personal life.

Well, of course he should be (and is) -- but that's not really the point here. We all make choices and have restrictions -- explicit or implicit -- placed upon us based on those choices. It is pretty unprecedented for a professional athliete to show support for another team in his same league, and as I stated above, it shows a lack of something on Colin's part. It's just not very smart.

Well, of course he should be (and is) -- but that's not really the point here. We all make choices and have restrictions -- explicit or implicit -- placed upon us based on those choices. It is pretty unprecedented for a professional athliete to show support for another team in his same league, and as I stated above, it shows a lack of something on Colin's part. It's just not very smart.

It's uncommon, sure. But really, the fans shouldn't care as long as he's out there on Sundays doing his job well, and he's not breaking any laws/harming anyone when not at work. I understand why it's weird... but I think people should be more objective about it. Let's say I'm a life long Bills fan, and I get drafted to the Raiders, do I stop being a Bills fan because I play on another team? Nah. Do I stop playing hard because I'm not on the Bills? Nah. I bet it's fairly common for players to root for other teams, but in private. So one guy gets caught in a hat, and people blow up about it? It just seems like a whole lot of something for a whole lot of nothing. Was it a bad choice, knowing how people react to these things? Possibly. But should he care? Probably not.

It's uncommon, sure. But really, the fans shouldn't care as long as he's out there on Sundays doing his job well, and he's not breaking any laws/harming anyone when not at work. I understand why it's weird... but I think people should be more objective about it. Let's say I'm a life long Bills fan, and I get drafted to the Raiders, do I stop being a Bills fan because I play on another team? Nah. Do I stop playing hard because I'm not on the Bills? Nah. I bet it's fairly common for players to root for other teams, but in private. So one guy gets caught in a hat, and people blow up about it? It just seems like a whole lot of something for a whole lot of nothing. Was it a bad choice, knowing how people react to these things? Possibly. But should he care? Probably not.

I think we all should (and need to) care what our employers think about the choices we make. I certainly do, and I bet you do as well.

i agree. its one of those things that doesnt really tie directly to on field play but its some sort of red flag about common sense, or maturity or... something... even if it never ends up manifesting in other ways.

I think we all should (and need to) care what our employers think about the choices we make. I certainly do, and I bet you do as well.

I don't care what my employer thinks about my personal life, because I keep the two separate. I stay out of trouble, and my employer doesn't inquire about the rest.

I don't care what my employer thinks about my personal life, because I keep the two separate. I stay out of trouble, and my employer doesn't inquire about the rest.

So your employer wouldn't care if he found out you were supporting a competitor on your "free time?" I'd find that hard to believe.

So your employer wouldn't care if he found out you were supporting a competitor on your "free time?" I'd find that hard to believe.

No, my employer does not care if I use an IBM computer, or a CISCO phone. Just like the 49ers shouldn't care if their players are humans and are football fans outside of playing for their team.

Edited by Dorkington