Math, Science Popular Until Students Realize They’re Hard

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting link, especially as berea is a model institution of learning imo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berea_College. check out the diverse list of notable alums. nevertheless, there are many good paying jobs in the sciences. chemistry majors work in many industries, for example, at relatively high pay and opportunities for advancement. geologists possibly even more so especially in energy related industries. computer scientists, the same.

Edited by birdog1960

So this job listing isn't real...? :unsure:

http://www.careerbui...es&IPath=JRKV0I

First thing I thought of when I heard 'Biochem" was "You get to make new flavors for foods at General Mills!" Because I know people (ok, one person) who have done that with a biochem degree. :)

I used to work with the guy that made Pringles taste like something other than wet cardboard.

I stopped eating Pringles after listening to his stories.

I used to work with the guy that made Pringles taste like something other than wet cardboard.

I stopped eating Pringles after listening to his stories.

The chapter in Fast Food Nation on how they make the burger and fries taste good was an eye opener.

I work with a company that makes simulated cheese, ie, the stuff you get with your nachos at a movie theater. No dairy required. (PETA rejoices!)

Was anyone ever under the impression that that crap was a natural product? I always thought it was just canola oil mixed with melted plastic (albeit delicious melted plastic.)

A bio/chem undergrad is pretty useless unless you want to sit in a lab all day.

For a non-PhD scientist that is probably true if you work anywhere but in corporate research. In a corporate research setting you probably spend more than half your time sitting in meetings talking about the lab work that you'd like to do.

So you're a generalist?

Yep. My degree is in biochem, but i work with chemists, physicists and biologists and their titles are all scientist as well. The only ones who don't fall under the scientist umbrella are the engineers.

Conner's reading that and saying "Ooooh! A climate change person!"

If I had to do it again, I'd get a degree in Geology and make a point to frack the **** out of each of your backyards.....

My motto would be "go frack youself"

The chapter in Fast Food Nation on how they make the burger and fries taste good was an eye opener.

It's easy. Good quality meat, clean oil in the fryer and salt. Where's my $$$$ B word??

I work with a company that makes simulated cheese, ie, the stuff you get with your nachos at a movie theater. No dairy required. (PETA rejoices!)

No the stuff YOU get on your nachos. :sick:

If I had to do it again, I'd get a degree in Geology and make a point to frack the **** out of each of your backyards.....

Get a culinary degree. Chicks dig guys that can cook. Oh and you won't get stuck eating cheese whiz nachos.

You'd probably frack my parent's backyard to, you motherfracker.