Ron Jaworski's on QB Kevin Kolb (Ranked #30)

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/07/2013-jaws-qb-countdown/#kolb

Kolb has always shown flashes that he’s capable of being an efficient starter. The situation in Arizona, unfortunately, highlighted his limitations. He played behind the worst offensive line in the NFL.

“One thing that has always prevented Kolb from developing into a consistent quarterback has been his inability to operate in a muddied pocket, with bodies flying around him. You have to be able to do that. Kolb is a functional space passer who needs a comfortable cradle to deliver the football.

Interestingly Titans signed our backup QB and their starting QB is rated #31, below Kolb.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The situation in Arizona, unfortunately, highlighted his limitations. He played behind the worst offensive line in the NFL."

That's all that should be said. Everything else is negative lip fodder and comes from being harassed more than ANY other QB. I am in the 'wait & see' category.

All that should be said, maybe, other than that he's coming into a team with an offensive line who's glaring weaknesses were masked by an intelligent quarterback with a quick release. Oh, and they also lost the best offensive lineman out of a very mediocre bunch.

For those that didn't click on the link, it's a worthwhile read.

The series is based on Jaworski ranking the Top 32 starting QBs in the league starting with #32 and finishing with the player he believes is the best QB in the league.

Jaworski spends substantial space on each quarterback, discussing their strengths and weaknesses.

His rankings so far:

32) Matt Flynn

31) Jake Locker

30) Kevin Kolb

29) Chad Henne

28) Mark Sanchez

27) Christian Ponder

26) Brandon Weeden

25) Michael Vick

24) Ryan Tannehill

23) Carson Palmer

22) Sam Bradford

21) Josh Freeman

20) Alex Smith

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/07/2013-jaws-qb-countdown/#kolb

For those that didn't click on the link, it's a worthwhile read.

The series is based on Jaworski ranking the Top 32 starting QBs in the league starting with #32 and finishing with the player he believes is the best QB in the league.

Jaworski spends substantial space on each quarterback, discussing their strengths and weaknesses.

His rankings so far:

32) Matt Flynn

31) Jake Locker

30) Kevin Kolb

29) Chad Henne

28) Mark Sanchez

27) Christian Ponder

26) Brandon Weeden

25) Michael Vick

24) Ryan Tannehill

23) Carson Palmer

22) Sam Bradford

21) Josh Freeman

20) Alex Smith

http://espnmediazone...countdown/#kolb

Wow. If Mark Sanchez is better that Kevin Kolb then it's going to be another long season...

Thanks for sharing the link. I think the analysis of the players is thoughtful and insightful. Better than a lot of the garbage I read so often online.

Jaws is the best at assessing QBs, IMO. But this e v a l is lame. Not because he's dissin' our guy, I think he's makin'stuff up because Kolb 'played behind the worst OL in the League' (his words), then was hurt and lost the job to another guy.

Granted, it's been a few years since he actually appeared to be competent, but his shortened season last year has no real bearing on his capabilities. Jaws, himself, looked shaky when he was under duress back in the day..

Again, though, I'm good with every negative thing said about us. It keeps everyone believing we're a push over.

Again, though, I'm good with every negative thing said about us. It keeps everyone believing we're a push over.

Exactly. Let expectations be low. Stay under the radar. Even Jaws whom I respect cant predict the future. His evaluations appear based solely on last year. A lot of these guys (qb's) have different players (or teams) around them now so results can and will change.

I'd like to see the same countdown AFTER the season is over. It'd be different.

No team gets anywhere meaningful when its starting qb is a Kolb, Fitz, Orton and Grossman caliber of qb. You can hope all you want. Dreams of success rarely turn into reality when you don't have an authentic franchise qb. Backup caliber qbs are what they are: backup qbs. The new regime in Arizona didn't release Kolb because he was battered by one of the worst OLs in the league. They released him because they didn't believe he had the potential to be a quality starting qb in this league.

The Bills probably won't have a winning team this year. That doesn't mean that they can't have a successful season. It mostly boils down to whether E.J. Manuel demonstrates that he has the ability to be a legitimate franchise qb. If he doesn't then this is another setback season for this plagued franchise. If he does show starting ability then the trajectory for this franchise finally moves upward.

This coaching staff has to make the tough decision of whether to play E.J. right away or to bring him along more slowly as a backup until he is better prepared to play. In the grand scheme of building a successful team how Kolb plays is meaningless. His job is to help prepare Manuel to take over the reigns as a starter as soon as possible.

Ron Jaworski is one of the best qb evaluators in the business. But you don't have to be too accomplished to recognize the difference between a Fitz type qb compared to a good qb in this league. All you have to do is watch the games with your eyes open and have an ounce of objectivity. Those people in the organization who invested in Fitz as a starting qb should be ashamed of themselves.for their gross incompetence. They set this bumbling franchise back by years.

No team gets anywhere meaningful when its starting qb is a Kolb, Fitz, Orton and Grossman caliber of qb. You can hope all you want. Dreams of success rarely turn into reality when you don't have an authentic franchise qb. Backup caliber qbs are what they are: backup qbs. The new regime in Arizona didn't release Kolb because he was battered by one of the worst OLs in the league. They released him because they didn't believe he had the potential to be a quality starting qb in this league.

The Bills probably won't have a winning team this year. That doesn't mean that they can't have a successful season. It mostly boils down to whether E.J. Manuel demonstrates that he has the ability to be a legitimate franchise qb. If he doesn't then this is another setback season for this plagued franchise. If he does show starting ability then the trajectory for this franchise finally moves upward.

This coaching staff has to make the tough decision of whether to play E.J. right away or to bring him along more slowly as a backup until he is better prepared to play. In the grand scheme of building a successful team how Kolb plays is meaningless. His job is to help prepare Manuel to take over the reigns as a starter as soon as possible.

Ron Jaworski is one of the best qb evaluators in the business. But you don't have to be too accomplished to recognize the difference between a Fitz type qb compared to a good qb in this league. All you have to do is watch the games with your eyes open and have an ounce of objectivity. Those people in the organization who invested in Fitz as a starting qb should be ashamed of themselves.for their gross incompetence. They set this bumbling franchise back by years.

Damn, pretty scathing!

I'll argue with you as soon as you post something I don't agree with...

Wow. If Mark Sanchez is better that Kevin Kolb then it's going to be another long season...

from a wins and losses standpoint, yes, it is going to be a long season. but 2-14 gets us Jadaveon Clowney, the best d prospect in a long time and the next Lawrence

Taylor in most peoples opinion. Just enjoy EJ's high points and lets go from there.

I really don't care where Kolb is ranked on this list since he was signed to be a veteran backup who could and may start a few games which is exactly what you want from your backup

What does it say about EJ if the 30th QB in the league is projected to beat him out.

BUST

(seriously, the media must think EJ sucks if everyone has him behind what the media considers one of the worst QBs... crazy. Wonder how fast they'll be backtracking if he starts and does well, heh.)

Edited by Dorkington

I can't really disagree. The fact that there was no back up plan if Fitz was not the answer is mind boggling. Your right about Kolb, the trouble with Kolb is he doesn't know what his role is. He thinks he has a shot at being the long term solution to the Bills QB problem. I don't think he will be either the long or short term solution. I am baffled as to why people think Kolb is anything more than a back up.

Build an offense around EJ's skill set. They drafted him to play so play him. Give him as much help as possible.

Hate to say it, but Kolb likely turned out to be the their "Rob Johnson". A guy with the tools but lacking in being too slow of a decision maker. Just yet another QB who holds the ball too long and is afraid to throw into tight coverage.

I can't really disagree. The fact that there was no back up plan if Fitz was not the answer is mind boggling. Your right about Kolb, the trouble with Kolb is he doesn't know what his role is. He thinks he has a shot at being the long term solution to the Bills QB problem. I don't think he will be either the long or short term solution. I am baffled as to why people think Kolb is anything more than a back up.

Build an offense around EJ's skill set. They drafted him to play so play him. Give him as much help as possible.

I agree with much you stated with the exception of where I highlighted. Kolb knows his role. He came to a team because the prior starter wasn't willing to accept a backup role and a pay cut commensurate with his change of qb status. Kolb is also very aware that the Bills used their first round pick on a qb. He signed with the Bills for the simple reason that no other team was banging on his door. He had no other options at that point

Whether Kolb starts or not is determined by not how well he plays; it is determined by whether E.J. is prepared enough to play right away or not. Even if Kolb starts right away he is not the long term qb answer, and never will be.

A qb such as Kolb or Fitz can make a lot of money and can last a long time in this league if the player understands and is accepting of their role. Rex Grossman has been in the league for 11 seasons. At his best he is nothing more than a pedestrian qb. But as a backup he has carved up a very useful role that has turned out to be very lucrative. Make no mistake about it Kolb is not gong to be a quarrelsome and resentful veteran qb who resents the young qb prospect like Favre did in Green Bay. Kolb signed with the Bills with the staff making clear what they expected from him and with the understanding where this franchise was going with the qb position.

The fact that there was no back up plan if Fitz was not the answer is mind boggling.

What was more mind boggling about not having a backup plan if Fitz was not the answer is in the first place believing that Fitz was ever going to be the answer, short or long term. Nix's lassez-faire approach to drafting a serious qb prospect in his first three years was tantamount to malfeasance. His three year record was 16-32. The Bills are now in another rebuilding faze. Yet there are still ardent devotees of him insisting that he did a good job. That willing acceptance of mediocrity is somehting I don't undrstand, and never will!!!!

Edited by JohnC

Ouch but so true...

Personally I hope EJ sees the fire of starting with game one. Let's see what we have and if he is going to be the guy we hope he will be.

Ouch but so true...

Personally I hope EJ sees the fire of starting with game one. Let's see what we have and if he is going to be the guy we hope he will be.

I'm not against him at first sitting and watching. The 49ers didn't play Kaepernick much in his first year. They played him in spots gentlely acclimating him to the game. Russell Wilson played right away and struggled for half a season. He then took off and played at a very high level. The coaches have to decide what is the best approach for his development. It is a tough call. How much can Manuel handle? Is he mentally tough enough to handle struggling and failure and grow from it as opposed to being demoralized by it. . This is where coaching becomes critically important.