Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

Condemned? Seriously? What he said is correct. We care more about this because it's the pats* getting blasted. Jests & fins would get similar treatment in the exact same circumstances, less but similar IMO. If it was 'any old team' meh.

What I wonder is how much Capri Sun Kraft actually gives a crap about his fans. You know those two guys that got shot in a drive by were Pats fans. At the end of the day Kraft drafted a guy he knew was trouble and this guy may have literally killed part of the fan base. You think the Pats didn't know Hernandez was at that club? You think they didn't know he had a silver SUV? Who knows, the dead guys may have been season ticket holders and now Kraft could charge more for their seats plus extract another seat license.

Mathieu lost his chance at being last year's honey badger for LSU and he is an abject idiot and pot smoker which are the same thing but I don't think he killed anyone. It is not a good comparison.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condemned? Seriously? What he said is correct. We care more about this because it's the pats* getting blasted. Jests & fins would get similar treatment in the exact same circumstances, less but similar IMO. If it was 'any old team' meh.

I was agreeing with him and pointing out how timely the Arizona comparison was... Seeing as they just picked up a guy with a similarly checkered past (drug test failures and rumored association/veiled gang references at times). The outrage is 99% that its pats, 1% simple "I told you so" even though none had the foresight to actually say it. None really seemed to care just months ago when a similar draft story unfolded.

The 2 guys were shot last July. His extension came in August. They could have know about/investigated that. And there was probably other stuff as well. To go along with what was known pre-draft.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, unless you have strong reference that even the police had any idea at that point it was Hernandez - otherwise it would've been dumb luck of having someone follow him that night.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, unless you have strong reference that even the police had any idea at that point it was Hernandez - otherwise it would've been dumb luck of having someone follow him that night.

A PI could have found out he was questioned by police and then investigated further. Or followed him when his homies stopped by and investigating them and his gang ties.

I think that Mathieu is a putz, but did he cold-rooster someone and rupture eardrum? Was he questioned by police with respect to a shooting?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals aren't media darlings, as are the Pats*. Plus, there's that whole Spygate thing. Coach is an adulterer, too. Other than that, the two franchises are exactly alike.

I'm sure I'm missing a few of Hernandez's pre-draft Greatest Hits, but here goes:

1. Failed drug tests

2. Gang tats

3. Rupturing the eardrum of a bouncer

4. Possible involvement in a 2007 shooting.

The Hernandez timeline reads like this… I've put the incidents which the NFL and its teams might have known about in red:

April 28, 2007: Hernandez cold cocked a bouncer outside a bar after being kicked out for not paying for two drinks. Tim Tebow is “witness 1” on the police report after trying unsuccessfully to intervene. Hernandez does not deny throwing the punch which ruptured the bouncer’s ear drum. Police recommended assault charges against Hernandez. The bouncer was insistent that charges be brought against AH however later he “changed his mind” asking that the charges not be brought while mentioning in a supplemental report that he had been contacted by the school’s legal department as well as the coaching staff. Tebow was listed as an anonymous witness because he didn’t want to be associated with the incident although he tried to arrange for payment of the drinks. The bouncer was contacted for comment yesterday by USA Today and declined to comment. Officials at Florida deny that a settlement was reached in this case.

http://www.usatoday....rfight/2483559/

September 30, 2007: After leaving a nightclub where they had an altercation with several Florida football players (Aaron Hernandez, current Bengal Reggie Nelson and current NFL O-linemen Mike and Maurkice Pouncey), two men are shot and wounded while in a car stopped at a traffic light leaving the nightclub. A third man in the car with the two victims, Randall Cason witnessed the shootings. Cason identified Reggie Nelson as accompanying the shooter and described the shooter as Hawaiian or Hispanic with a large, muscular build about 6-foot-3 or 6-4, weighing about 230 or 240 pounds and having a lot of tattoos.

That same day Cason, who had originally said Nelson and the Hawaiian or Hispanic male were the suspects, "rescinded his identification of Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson," according to the report. While Hernandez's name was redacted in the document, it was the first time the report indicated that Cason had positively identified Hernandez as the shooter at some point.

http://espn.go.com/e...cording-sources

2009: Hernandez takes an iPhone/Mirror “selfie” picture of himself holding a .45 caliber Glock pistol, possibly the weapon used in the recent Lloyd homicide.

In addition to these incidents there were reports linking Hernandez to gang affiliations and multiple failed drug tests

April 2010: New England drafts Aaron Hernandez while approximately 12 teams are retrospectively reported to have blackballed him.

June 2012 (approximately 2 months before New England agrees to a contract extension with Hernandez): While renting an apartment in Hermosa Beach, CA a neighbor called police to report fighting between Hernandez and his then-pregnant fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins inside their apartment.

“We're told when police arrived, Jenkins said she was ok and didn't want to press charges so they left without making an arrest.

Law enforcement sources also tell us ... cops came to the house several other times after neighbors made noise complaints. One source says Hernandez "acted like an a**hole" when cops responded.”

http://www.tmz.com/2.../#ixzz2Y7m6OjAB

July 15 2012: A double homicide occurs in Boston’s South End and is retroactively being linked to Hernandez because the getaway vehicle described in that case has rumored to have been found at Hernandez’ uncle’s house. It’s doubtful New England knew about any Hernandez involvement in this incident.

There’s also a recent story of the “flophouse” apartment that Hernandez kept near his house. Did the football team know about this residence? If so what did they surmise the purpose of the apartment was? Does it matter?

Late August 2012: Hernandez signs a contract extension with the Patriots.

February 2013: A man is shot by Aaron Hernandez and left bleeding in an alley with head and arm injuries. The man, Alexander Bradley is described as "a friend of Aaron Hernandez and after a botched filing, successfully files a civil suit against Hernandez in late June, seeking monetary damages for his injuries while not cooperating with the criminal investigation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/06/19/aaron-hernandez-lawsuit-shooting-strip-club-alexander-bradley/2438713/

May 18, 2013:

Authorities have also linked Hernandez to a May 18 fight outside a bar in Providence, R.I., that involved a gun.

A prosecutor with the Bristol County district attorney's office has said that a man who matched the description of a man seen on video with Hernandez on the night of Lloyd's slaying was seen putting a gun under a car during the Rhode Island incident.

Authorities traced that gun to a Florida gun shop. Then following Lloyd's death, police said they recovered a .22 caliber gun about a quarter-mile from the defendant's home - a weapon authorities said was traced to the same store.

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Y7qf7261

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I think that Mathieu is a putz, but did he cold-rooster someone and rupture eardrum? Was he questioned by police with respect to a shooting?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals aren't media darlings, as are the Pats*. Plus, there's that whole Spygate thing. Coach is an adulterer, too. Other than that, the two franchises are exactly alike.

Ill give you a hint: "mathieu needs to get out of New Orleans" wasn't because he was playing too much Xbox with his future business leader of america friends that casually got high.

Its all over the league. Lots of jerks and idiots. Even criminals. Most players are great guys, lots are not.

Edited by NoSaint

You're getting a bit of a free ride here. You have to be much more explicit. Exactly what do you presume the pats knew about (things his team mates and the press knew nothing about until now) before they offered him a new contract?

I could ask you that exact same question. I posted the timeline upthread. None of us know. Not you or I. The only thing we can do is make reasonable guesses.

You could have simply said, "I don't know what they knew either but I disagree with your opinion."

I'd think that if you are contemplating giving a huge deal to a player, especially a guy who many teams had as undraftable, you'd want to hire a PI to investigate him for a little while. Saying "we didn't/couldn't have known" is a cop-out.

Haven't been keeping up...did someone in the ne organization say that?

No, just the Pats* apologists.

Exactly. The team has kept mum on the subject as they should. Any attempt at a PR spin would not be worth the possible downside of that spin.

But IMO a lot of people here strangely forgiving of New England's decision to draft this guy and then extend him.

As I said earlier, this is an organization that cheated for years.

Why would we trust that they simply didn't know about all the red flags?

It's more plausible to me that they decided to pretend that those flags didn't exist

Ill give you a hint: "mathieu needs to get out of New Orleans" wasn't because he was playing too much Xbox with his future business leader of america friends that casually got high.

Its all over the league. Lots of jerks and idiots. Even criminals. Most players are great guys, lots are not.

This is what it boils down to for me:

Does Honey Badger have a violent past or do all of his transgressions amount to drug use and non-violent incidents?

Because I don't equate drug use/shoplifting/larceny etc with punching a person and quite possibly shooting a person.

I could ask you that exact same question. I posted the timeline upthread. None of us know. Not you or I. The only thing we can do is make reasonable guesses.

You could have simply said, "I don't know what they knew either but I disagree with your opinion."

Exactly. The team has kept mum on the subject as they should. Any attempt at a PR spin would not be worth the possible downside of that spin.

But IMO a lot of people here strangely forgiving of New England's decision to draft this guy and then extend him.

As I said earlier, this is an organization that cheated for years.

Why would we trust that they simply didn't know about all the red flags?

It's more plausible to me that they decided to pretend that those flags didn't exist

This is what it boils down to for me:

Does Honey Badger have a violent past or do all of his transgressions amount to drug use and non-violent incidents?

Because I don't equate drug use/shoplifting/larceny etc with punching a person and quite possibly shooting a person.

So, to summarize: you think it is reasonable to hold a team responsible to know or conclude what the police force in each of these cases could not previously conclude? Are you saying that the pats likely knew AH was connected to unsolved murder cases when they extended his contract and they didn't report their suspicions or outright knowledge to the cops? It certainly seems you are saying this, which is crazy.

And the act of extending his contract is related to this recent shooting how, exactly?

So, to summarize: you think it is reasonable to hold a team responsible to know or conclude what the police force in each of these cases could not previously conclude? Are you saying that the pats likely knew AH was connected to unsolved murder cases when they extended his contract and they didn't report their suspicions or outright knowledge to the cops? It certainly seems you are saying this, which is crazy.

And the act of extending his contract is related to this recent shooting how, exactly?

You slammed the Bills for extending Jauron and Fitz too early. Why aren't you slamming the Pats for doing the same with AH?

He's a Pats* fan, that's why.

What, specifically, is Mathieu accused of doing?

You apparently didn't read the timeline very carefully.

The only incidents I said the Patriots could possibly know about were in red.

At least 12 teams blacklisted the guy. Why do you think that is? Are you saying that just because charges were not brought that no team knew about the pre-draft incidents in Gainesville?

The only other item I highlighted in red was the incidents in Hermosa Beach. This happened before his contract extension. Are you saying that it's unbelievable that the Patriots knew about these incidents?

Are you saying that just because charges aren't brought that teams are unaware of these incidents? It certainly seems you are saying this, which is crazy.

The Hernandez timeline reads like this… I've put the incidents which the NFL and its teams might have known about in red:

April 28, 2007: Hernandez cold cocked a bouncer outside a bar after being kicked out for not paying for two drinks. Tim Tebow is “witness 1” on the police report after trying unsuccessfully to intervene. Hernandez does not deny throwing the punch which ruptured the bouncer’s ear drum. Police recommended assault charges against Hernandez. The bouncer was insistent that charges be brought against AH however later he “changed his mind” asking that the charges not be brought while mentioning in a supplemental report that he had been contacted by the school’s legal department as well as the coaching staff. Tebow was listed as an anonymous witness because he didn’t want to be associated with the incident although he tried to arrange for payment of the drinks. The bouncer was contacted for comment yesterday by USA Today and declined to comment. Officials at Florida deny that a settlement was reached in this case.

http://www.usatoday....rfight/2483559/

September 30, 2007: After leaving a nightclub where they had an altercation with several Florida football players (Aaron Hernandez, current Bengal Reggie Nelson and current NFL O-linemen Mike and Maurkice Pouncey), two men are shot and wounded while in a car stopped at a traffic light leaving the nightclub. A third man in the car with the two victims, Randall Cason witnessed the shootings. Cason identified Reggie Nelson as accompanying the shooter and described the shooter as Hawaiian or Hispanic with a large, muscular build about 6-foot-3 or 6-4, weighing about 230 or 240 pounds and having a lot of tattoos.

That same day Cason, who had originally said Nelson and the Hawaiian or Hispanic male were the suspects, "rescinded his identification of Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson," according to the report. While Hernandez's name was redacted in the document, it was the first time the report indicated that Cason had positively identified Hernandez as the shooter at some point.

http://espn.go.com/e...cording-sources

2009: Hernandez takes an iPhone/Mirror “selfie” picture of himself holding a .45 caliber Glock pistol, possibly the weapon used in the recent Lloyd homicide.

In addition to these incidents there were reports linking Hernandez to gang affiliations and multiple failed drug tests

April 2010: New England drafts Aaron Hernandez while approximately 12 teams are retrospectively reported to have blackballed him.

June 2012 (approximately 2 months before New England agrees to a contract extension with Hernandez): While renting an apartment in Hermosa Beach, CA a neighbor called police to report fighting between Hernandez and his then-pregnant fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins inside their apartment.

“We're told when police arrived, Jenkins said she was ok and didn't want to press charges so they left without making an arrest.

Law enforcement sources also tell us ... cops came to the house several other times after neighbors made noise complaints. One source says Hernandez "acted like an a**hole" when cops responded.”

http://www.tmz.com/2.../#ixzz2Y7m6OjAB

July 15 2012: A double homicide occurs in Boston’s South End and is retroactively being linked to Hernandez because the getaway vehicle described in that case has rumored to have been found at Hernandez’ uncle’s house. It’s doubtful New England knew about any Hernandez involvement in this incident.

There’s also a recent story of the “flophouse” apartment that Hernandez kept near his house. Did the football team know about this residence? If so what did they surmise the purpose of the apartment was? Does it matter?

Late August 2012: Hernandez signs a contract extension with the Patriots.

February 2013: A man is shot by Aaron Hernandez and left bleeding in an alley with head and arm injuries. The man, Alexander Bradley is described as "a friend of Aaron Hernandez and after a botched filing, successfully files a civil suit against Hernandez in late June, seeking monetary damages for his injuries while not cooperating with the criminal investigation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/06/19/aaron-hernandez-lawsuit-shooting-strip-club-alexander-bradley/2438713/

May 18, 2013:

Authorities have also linked Hernandez to a May 18 fight outside a bar in Providence, R.I., that involved a gun.

A prosecutor with the Bristol County district attorney's office has said that a man who matched the description of a man seen on video with Hernandez on the night of Lloyd's slaying was seen putting a gun under a car during the Rhode Island incident.

Authorities traced that gun to a Florida gun shop. Then following Lloyd's death, police said they recovered a .22 caliber gun about a quarter-mile from the defendant's home - a weapon authorities said was traced to the same store.

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Y7qf7261

Nice job, SJBF.

But how could the Pats* have possibly known about any of these incidences?

I wonder what the Pats* reaction was to the Bradley incident.

:)

Besides the ones I believe they knew about, I wonder if they knew about the gun brandishing picture in 2009 and his secret apartment near his primary house.

Oh, I think they knew about the incident with the bouncer, the 2007 shooting, the idiotic picture with the gun, the gang tats and the domestic incident, and still rewarded him with a multi-million dollar extension.

I'd be curious to learn what the Pats* reaction was to the "accidental" Bradley shooting. I mean, it's perfectly normal for people to wave guns in a car, right?

You slammed the Bills for extending Jauron and Fitz too early. Why aren't you slamming the Pats for doing the same with AH?

The obvious answer is that I knew Jauron was a crappy coach. By any standard, AH was a very good TE, and no one, except the conflators here, knew he was or would be a killer.