Texas executes inmate No. 500

And that's just this week!!!

:D

When you empower the state to legally kill it's citizens, the state will legally kill it's citizens.

I strongly disagree with granting government this power.

With that said, Texas isn't my state, so I rightly don't have a say there.

True, but that being said, is there a time when in the most heinous of cases that we should make a statement?

Most would agree that Texas goes a little overboard but I have to admit that there are time when I think a person should be put to death. It's something I struggle with since I am mostly anti death penalty.

Sometimes I think we have to make the statement that a person is so utterly depraved that they are not fit to live in this world.

The real story is the person she killed years ago. Capital punishment is the ultimate deterrant: No executed prisoner has ever committed a murder after the execution. To me, the refinement of DNA is a strong impetus for the death penalty. DNA evidence enables the state to be even more confident that the right person is being executed.

Edited by Keukasmallies

And that's just this week!!!

:D

True, but that being said, is there a time when in the most heinous of cases that we should make a statement?

Most would agree that Texas goes a little overboard but I have to admit that there are time when I think a person should be put to death. It's something I struggle with since I am mostly anti death penalty.

Sometimes I think we have to make the statement that a person is so utterly depraved that they are not fit to live in this world.

The natural logical extension of a state empowered to kill it's own citizens is a federal armed drone program attached to executive kill lists which can include US citizens whom are not entitled to a trial, and it only gets worse from there... or perhaps there are some federal agencies you can think of that aren't incredibly prone to corruption, over-reaching, and abuse of power?

Again, governments empowered legally kill their citizens will legally kill their citizens.

When you empower the state to legally kill it's citizens, the state will legally kill it's citizens.

I strongly disagree with granting government this power.

With that said, Texas isn't my state, so I rightly don't have a say there.

The state does not have "the power to kill". It is still a trial by peers, the penalties for conviction are mostly preset.

That has nothing to do with having a death penalty.

It's the logical eventual extension of a state empowered to kill it's own citizens. The slow and steady creep of unintended powers, incrementally justifiable. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Freedom isn't an absolute; step over the line, exhaust your due process, and at that point government has the obligation to protect the majority of the nation.

Bingo. Same with Human Rights IMO. At some point if you do things offensive enough you no longer qualify as human and should not be offered those rights.

Out of those 500 I bet 495 deserved it.

Out of those 500, I bet there were 30,000 who deserved it. Pity we only execute the absolute worst of the worst rather than all who are deserving.

It's the logical eventual extension of a state empowered to kill it's own citizens. The slow and steady creep of unintended powers, incrementally justifiable. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

I think having an Executive branch that is increasingly cutting the legislative branch and the states out of the governing process is a lot bigger concern than a tiny handful of sub-humans being put down where they belong.

Edited by KD in CT