Who's your top 3 crucial 2013 players?

Thought it would be an interesting thread to ask everyone who they think are the top 3 most crucial players that must play great for the Bills in 2013. I'd also like each response to include why you think these players are your top 3.

To me there's many different thoughts about why you would chose your players. For example the player has to be great in order for us to: make the playoffs - to have a winning record - to shore up a position - or for the future of our team.

Here are mine:

Nigel Bradham: I chose Nigel because this team is so very desperate for answers at all the LB positions. The reason I didn't have Kiko here is I actually expect him to be a very very good player and for him to answer one of our question marks at LB. If Nigel can secure another slot we will be such a better team for it and obviously would begin to end this teams seemingly unending search for a solid LB group.

Robert Woods: For very similar reasons as Bradham above I chose Woods. I imagine Woods game being patterned similarly to Hines Ward. Good hands, finds soft spots in the defense well, a first down machine, and a nemisis to a defense. If you look at Hines 2009 season where he caught 95 balls for 1,167 yards it allowed several things to happen beyond his individual great season; it allowed Ben to have his best statistical season, it allowed Santonio Holmes to have his most productive season, and in 2009 began the emergence of a rookie named Mike Wallace. I think Woods can be the cog that takes pressure of of Stevie and will allow our speed receivers to take the top off of a defense.

E.J. Manuel: Ok don't shoot me for making this easy choice. I'm honestly not trying to say that if Kolb beats Manuel out it means anything long term about Manuel, but I think it's crucial for the 2013 Bills to have Manuel win this job and play very well. IMO there isn't a more important position in all of sports. This team and coaching staff needs Manuel to be the number one reason this team has a chance to become a great team going forward. He needs to be the reason every FA signing and draft pick means we are building a winner and conversely the reason why not being able to keep every player i.e. Levitre stings less.

Edited by Triple Threat

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ Manuel- QB most important position in football.

CJ Spiller- Needs to be as productive as last year but with more touches, leaned on big to help ease EJ into QB job

Jairus Byrd- Without him we are missing Ed Reed comparable stats (first 4 years)

1. Spiller - He is a playmaker, plain and simple. A high octane running game is going to be crucial. He needs to be able to carry the ball ~25 times per game and he needs to be on the field on 3rd downs in the red zone. He also needs to catch the ball out of the backfield and get some YAC. Because ....

2. EJ Manuel should be the starting QB, and every QB benefits from a solid run game. I don't care if Kolb has a good training camp and/or pre-season ... Trent Edwards did that every year. Kolb sucks. He's proven that he sucks. Many times. EJ was the first QB picked in the draft; therefore, he should start. That said, he has to play well and he has to play smart. With Spiller, he can be Capt. Checkdown all day long, I don't care. Get positive yardage and don't turn the ball over.

3. Mario Williams - Beginning with Week 1, the name of the game is going to be pressure the QB. Hit him hard and hit him often. Sacks are great, but even if you can't get them, at least let the QB know you're on him like stink on schit. If we can start with good QB pressure, it'll make it that much easier for the LBs and the DBs. If the run D can keep the 3rd downs to 3rd and 5 or more, we can't let QBs convert all day long like last year. This cat is making a lot of money. It's time to earn it. And I don't want to hear the crap about how awesome he was after his surgery. We played crappy teams whenever he played well. He didn't get better, our opponents got worse.

Go Bills!!

1. Spiller - He is a playmaker, plain and simple. A high octane running game is going to be crucial. He needs to be able to carry the ball ~25 times per game and he needs to be on the field on 3rd downs in the red zone. He also needs to catch the ball out of the backfield and get some YAC.

No RB totes it 25 times a game; that's the equivalent of a 400-carry season. Somewhere around 17-19 carries per game, plus another 3-5 touches in the passing game, sounds about right to get the production we need.

No RB totes it 25 times a game; that's the equivalent of a 400-carry season. Somewhere around 17-19 carries per game, plus another 3-5 touches in the passing game, sounds about right to get the production we need.

You're right. I went a little overboard with the total carries.

I will further this idea by picking 3 crucial players from the offense and the defense. It's just too difficult for me to pick 3 from the whole team, as the offense and defense were both pretty bad last season.

Offense:

EJ Manuel - If not immediately, I expect him to take the reigns at some point in the season. There are a lot of talented players on this offense...we just need someone to be able to get them the ball. I think EJ is that guy.

CJ Spiller - I believe he will be a top 3 RB in the NFL this season, and will take some pressure of our rookie QB.

Eric Wood - The Bills really need him to stay healthy, and play well, for an entire season. Our offensive line really fell apart when he got injured.

*Honorable Mention - Who ever plays LG.

Defense:

Leodis McKelvin - He is going to be heavily relied upon this year. We really need him to solidify the other side of the field, so the safeties can be freed up to blitz.

Kiko Alonso - I think he will quickly become the heart and sole of this defense. He needs to come in and be dominant. Also, he brings that element of nastiness that this team desperately needs.

Marcell Dareus - We need him to play up to his potential. He is an absolute force when he does. He was not that force last season.

*Honorable Mention - Aaron Williams....I have a feeling that he will eventually surpass Da'Norris Searcy as our starting SS. Finally justifying his high draft position.

Only to a point. Ask Brees how it feels to carry a bad defense.

GO BILLS!!!

All the way to the Super Bowl. Yes they were opportunistic with a lot of key take aways, but they ranked 20th in points given up and 25th in yards.

I'm going to go at this a bit differently. I think the three crucial "players" on this year's team (I'm admittedly taking liberties with the definition of player) are Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine.

I'm on record stating I believe the Bills had/have enough talent to compete for a playoff spot; it's going to be all about how well this new staff implement their systems and manage the game.

I'm going to go at this a bit differently. I think the three crucial "players" on this year's team (I'm admittedly taking liberties with the definition of player) are Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine.

I'm on record stating I believe the Bills had/have enough talent to compete for a playoff spot; it's going to be all about how well this new staff implement their systems and manage the game.

I share this sentiment, and also have, on record.

I maintain: If we had a defensive coordinator operating at even 50% competency last year, Fitz/Gailey are both still with the Bills organization. They were not the problem. It was our defensive scheme (or lack thereof) and execution (or lack thereof)--both of which I credit at least 75% to the coaches (or lack thereof)

Kiko, or Nigel one of these two needs to become a household name in the USA. Preferably both will.

#2 WR, be it Robert Woods, Rogers, Goodwin or someone else. We're going nowhere without a legitimate WR corps.

Kolb, and/or Manuel. We have to get a lot more production out of this position.

1. Spiller - He is a playmaker, plain and simple. A high octane running game is going to be crucial. He needs to be able to carry the ball ~25 times per game and he needs to be on the field on 3rd downs in the red zone. He also needs to catch the ball out of the backfield and get some YAC. Because ....

2. EJ Manuel should be the starting QB, and every QB benefits from a solid run game. I don't care if Kolb has a good training camp and/or pre-season ... Trent Edwards did that every year. Kolb sucks. He's proven that he sucks. Many times. EJ was the first QB picked in the draft; therefore, he should start. That said, he has to play well and he has to play smart. With Spiller, he can be Capt. Checkdown all day long, I don't care. Get positive yardage and don't turn the ball over.

3. Mario Williams - Beginning with Week 1, the name of the game is going to be pressure the QB. Hit him hard and hit him often. Sacks are great, but even if you can't get them, at least let the QB know you're on him like stink on schit. If we can start with good QB pressure, it'll make it that much easier for the LBs and the DBs. If the run D can keep the 3rd downs to 3rd and 5 or more, we can't let QBs convert all day long like last year. This cat is making a lot of money. It's time to earn it. And I don't want to hear the crap about how awesome he was after his surgery. We played crappy teams whenever he played well. He didn't get better, our opponents got worse.

Go Bills!!

I agree with this!