How Long Have You Been A Bills Fan And When Did You Know?

H2o

My father had season tickets from the Bills inception. I know that my brother went to the first game, because he reminds me all the time. I remember when the Houston Oilers won the first AFL championship. That being said I think I really became a fan in 1963.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Bills fan since before I can remember.

Seriously. There are pictures of me all decked out in Bills gear at Bills games from the time I was 2 that my dad took.

We are very close and some of my most treasured memories are him and I going to Bills games.

It’s because of all the great memories my dad created for me through the Buffalo Bills that I will forever bleed red, white, and blue.

My wife and I just had our first child back in January and I already have her in Bills sleepers and onesies and I am looking forward to creating wonderful memories for her with the Buffalo Bills.

That is until she is 16 and would rather go to the mall with her friends.

CBF

I do remember another time parking near the rockpile in a guys driveway. I said why are we parking there to my dad, do you work with him? He said. NO.

There was a guy to this day that i can remember saying programs, programs in this voice that sounded like he ate glass. He was at the rockpile and then at rich stadium.

I started following the Bills around 1967 when I was eight years old. I went to my first game in 1968...a blowout loss to the Oakland Raiders in a 1-12 season. It didn't matter I was already hooked. I left the Buffalo area in 1977; however, I brought my passion for the Bills with me...and it has never wavered...through the worst of times, the best of times, and everything in between... My children are 31, 30, and 22. None have ever lived in the Buffalo area (although they have spent a considerable time there visiting family over the years), yet, all three are passionate Bills fans.

It is what it is

11 years; The first game I watched was when the Bills played the Dolphins in 2002 during that snowstorm, its actually one of my earliest memories. I didn't start to track/listen/watch every single game till I was 10 though.

You guys always complain that you haven't watched the Bills play in a playoff game for what seems like a lifetime. Well, I've literally never seen the Bills in a playoff game for a lifetime, so you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. :D

Us Young'uns are going to have to take the forum over after all these old guys keel over, I'm in the same boat since im only 21

I remember my first Bills game...birthday present in 1971. Mom and I went with 2 neighbors from South Buffalo, Jack and Dan Pugh. We went in Jack's van and mom and I sat on the floor (no bench seats). It was a preseason game...Green Bay. Parking in a front yard in the Fruit belt and walking to the stadium. It was a night game and standing in at the top of the stairs and seeing the most greenest grass and bright lights. Sat in the 2nd row behind the Green Bay bench. Seeing up close Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson and Donny Anderson was a great thrill. It did not matter that the Bills lost 20-14. It was a magical night. Ray was a nice guy to us after he was done for the night. He chatted with the younger fans. I was too nervous to talk to him. Mom, Jack and Dan are gone but that night will live forever with me. Every time I go to a game I feel like that 11 year old kid. How that feeling never goes away.

These are incredible stories and really speak to how our lives and our team are threads which have been woven into one and the same fabric. Probably most of us will go to our graves wearing some kind of Bills regalia. But we don't have to worry about that now.

In the nearer future is the day that we'll be able to celebrate a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Championship together.

The longest-suffering, most-deserving fans in the NFL will finally have our day in the sun and what a glorious day it will be. We'll be celebrating with all of our Bills brothers and sisters and the souls of all Bills fans and loved ones who've departed will be with us in spirit.

All from the memory of a 67 year old Bills fan. living in British Columbia, Canada... was raised in Amherst (Snyder), New York. I played football at Park School and one year at Cornell. After the Buffalo Bisons went out of business with the old All-American Professional Football Conference (around 1946-1950), Western New York was desperate to have another Pro-team here. I was only 5 when it folded, but my Dad went to some of their games at the old Civic stadium - later War Memorial stadium. Anyways, he took me to a pro exhibition game there in around the late 50's. Bobby Lane played for the Detroit Lions... I remember trying to get an autograph from him on the field and he just brushed me by. I was not a Bobby Lane fan after that incident, even though the Bills uniforms at the beginning in 1960 had the same colors as the Lions had. Silver and Columbia Blue. Ralph Wilson was a Detroit guy and obviously that must have been an influence.

In 1959 - the Bills opened up training camp at the ???? Motor Inn... It was right off the Thruway. I think it might have been called the Blasdell Motor Inn. I would hitchhike there from Amherst whenever I could to see them practice. I think a guy by the name of Buster Ramsay was their coach.

In the first couple - three years of existence, the Bills would hold a sort of MEET YOUR BILLS night. They had all kinds of skills competitions going on between the players. They would see who could kick the longest, run the fastest..(Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion was one of the fastest) and I believe one of the receivers threw the football the longest...it have been RAY RENFREW???

I attended almost every game until 1964. It could be wild there at the open end zone where the auto racing track still remained. Those were the cheap seats... splinter filled bleacher seats. You could bring in your own beer and yes, even in glass bottles. Well around the 2nd or 3rd year, the Bills record was poor and the Bills were being "kicked again"... and Buster was still coaching them. The fans started singing in unison "GOOD BYE BUSTER" .... "WE'RE SORRY TO SEE YOU GO", etc. . Someone threw the first bottle onto the asphalt track and within seconds, there were so many bottles flying that the undermanned City of Buffalo cops were simply over whelmed and couldn't really arrest any one as there were so many "people" throwing bottles.

When the Bills got Kaufman, Gilchrist, Wray Carlton, Joe Sestak, Stratton, Maguire, Ken Rice and Coach Lou Sabin... they turned it around. I was in attendance for their first AFL championship win.

This September, I'll be flying in with my son for the opener against the Patriots. Yes, they used to be called the Boston Patriots. Anyways, we'll be joining 15 other family members who live as far away as Hawaii, California, Texas and DC.

Gary Mols

in 1965 when I started collecting Coca Cola Buffalo Bills bottlecaps

http://www.ebay.com/...e-/360670780187

Oh man ! AWESOME ! I used to go to the Country club behind my house armed with a long magnet. I used to fish the bottle caps out of the pop machine !! I had a gazzillion of those. Dayum those were the days !! No idea what I ever did with them. Mom probably tossed em ! LOL !

EDIT: I was late to the party. I became a fan in 84. Prior to that I was an LA Rams fan dating back to the mid to late 60's. I was just a kid and thought the Rams had a cool helmet !

Honestly dont recall a specific event that made me a Bills fan but there is no turning back and thats for sure !

Edited by jaybee

Oh man ! AWESOME ! I used to go to the Country club behind my house armed with a long magnet. I used to fish the bottle caps out of the pop machine !! I had a gazzillion of those. Dayum those were the days !! No idea what I ever did with them. Mom probably tossed em ! LOL !

EDIT: I was late to the party. I became a fan in 84. Prior to that I was an LA Rams fan dating back to the mid to late 60's. I was just a kid and thought the Rams had a cool helmet !

Honestly dont recall a specific event that made me a Bills fan but there is no turning back and thats for sure !

EdinKC and I collected these bottle caps also. We had a ton of them and got the footballs as the prize. Wore that football out as it was a very good one. We did the same thing with the magnet and fishing out of the machine. As far as becoming a Bills fan...My dad and a couple of co-workers shared seasons tickets. First game at the Rockpile was in 1962. Been following ever since. There are several Bills fans here in WV and Darryl Talley is the reason for that

All from the memory of a 67 year old Bills fan. living in British Columbia, Canada... was raised in Amherst (Snyder), New York. I played football at Park School and one year at Cornell. After the Buffalo Bisons went out of business with the old All-American Professional Football Conference (around 1946-1950), Western New York was desperate to have another Pro-team here. I was only 5 when it folded, but my Dad went to some of their games at the old Civic stadium - later War Memorial stadium. Anyways, he took me to a pro exhibition game there in around the late 50's. Bobby Lane played for the Detroit Lions... I remember trying to get an autograph from him on the field and he just brushed me by. I was not a Bobby Lane fan after that incident, even though the Bills uniforms at the beginning in 1960 had the same colors as the Lions had. Silver and Columbia Blue. Ralph Wilson was a Detroit guy and obviously that must have been an influence.

In 1959 - the Bills opened up training camp at the ???? Motor Inn... It was right off the Thruway. I think it might have been called the Blasdell Motor Inn. I would hitchhike there from Amherst whenever I could to see them practice. I think a guy by the name of Buster Ramsay was their coach.

In the first couple - three years of existence, the Bills would hold a sort of MEET YOUR BILLS night. They had all kinds of skills competitions going on between the players. They would see who could kick the longest, run the fastest..(Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion was one of the fastest) and I believe one of the receivers threw the football the longest...it have been RAY RENFREW???

I attended almost every game until 1964. It could be wild there at the open end zone where the auto racing track still remained. Those were the cheap seats... splinter filled bleacher seats. You could bring in your own beer and yes, even in glass bottles. Well around the 2nd or 3rd year, the Bills record was poor and the Bills were being "kicked again"... and Buster was still coaching them. The fans started singing in unison "GOOD BYE BUSTER" .... "WE'RE SORRY TO SEE YOU GO", etc. . Someone threw the first bottle onto the asphalt track and within seconds, there were so many bottles flying that the undermanned City of Buffalo cops were simply over whelmed and couldn't really arrest any one as there were so many "people" throwing bottles.

When the Bills got Kaufman, Gilchrist, Wray Carlton, Joe Sestak, Stratton, Maguire, Ken Rice and Coach Lou Sabin... they turned it around. I was in attendance for their first AFL championship win.

This September, I'll be flying in with my son for the opener against the Patriots. Yes, they used to be called the Boston Patriots. Anyways, we'll be joining 15 other family members who live as far away as Hawaii, California, Texas and DC.

Gary Mols

Fantastic history lesson there. Thanks for the great post, Sir. eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif Your family is gonna have a blast that day...win or lose. Oh...I didnt despise them as much when they were the Boston Patriots !!

I was 7 the year OJ ran for 2003 in 1973. I had to listen to games on a transistor radio on my Dads farm. That year was amazing. The buzz that spread through western NY was something that hooked me. The Final game against the Jets, in the snow, the call was" OJ running left, 7 yards maybe more. I dunno.. He GOT IT! He's done it!!!! OJ simpson has gone over 2000 yards...."

And was hooked ever since....