It's somebody else's fault that my daughter eats poorly

Of course.

I also agree with Chef Jim.

Coming from a family of nine kids, and a Mother who thought a stick of butter improved the taste of everything, our diets were not what you would want today,

but we were all as skinny as rails, because we were active from dawn to dusk.

Can't speak for others, but we NEVER ate fast food at our house. We would occasionally get a Brazier at the DQ, but if it happened more than four times in a year I'd be surprised. We had the edge, though, because my mother didn't work. It's different now. You see many homes with two parents working, so it's faster, easier and cheaper to drive through McDonalds than it is to actually make your kids lunch. By the time dinner rolls around, in between extra-curricular school activities, etc., dinner isn't much more well thought out.

Oh man you just reminded me. When my dad grilled steaks outdoors in the summer he ran a stick of butter over each one as it came off the grill. :lol:

Bistecca!!

Edited by LABillzFan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak for others, but we NEVER ate fast food at our house. We would occasionally get a Brazier at the DQ, but if it happened more than four times in a year I'd be surprised. We had the edge, though, because my mother didn't work. It's different now. You see many homes with two parents working, so it's faster, easier and cheaper to drive through McDonalds than it is to actually make your kids lunch. By the time dinner rolls around, in between extra-curricular school activities, etc., dinner isn't much more well thought out.

Same here; we ate what Mom cooked ~360 days a year.

And since my parents had that midwestern frugal thing instilled by their depression-era parents, we weren't exactly gorging ourselves at meal times. A pound of pasta says '8 servings' and there were eight of us. Add a pound of ground beef and a jar of Ragu and dinner is served! Still hungry? Have some more salad.

Same here; we ate what Mom cooked ~360 days a year.

And since my parents had that midwestern frugal thing instilled by their depression-era parents, we weren't exactly gorging ourselves at meal times. A pound of pasta says '8 servings' and there were eight of us. Add a pound of ground beef and a jar of Ragu and dinner is served! Still hungry? Have some more salad.

Nothing could feed the masses like pasta. We ate it with sauce, with butter, with scrambled eggs.

One of the dishes we ate often was Klops and chop meat. Klops were a brand of egg noodles. Cook up ground beef, cook Klops, combine with a pound of butter and serve.

Nothing could feed the masses like pasta. We ate it with sauce, with butter, with scrambled eggs.

One of the dishes we ate often was Klops and chop meat. Klops were a brand of egg noodles. Cook up ground beef, cook Klops, combine with a pound of butter and serve.

I still love egg noodles....we always had the beef stew over egg noodles.

Another classic was the post-easter leftover dish of ham, hardboiled eggs and I forget what else in the cheese sauce (pretty much milk + Velveeda) over corn muffins. Chipped beef was another staple with the cheese sauce/corn muffins. Yum.

Oh man you just reminded me. When my dad grilled steaks outdoors in the summer he ran a stick of butter over each one as it came off the grill. :lol:

I just read an article to do this while grilling burgers, it caramelizes and bonds to the sugars in the meat and makes the burger tastier. Your Dad was onto something there.

I just read an article to do this while grilling burgers, it caramelizes and bonds to the sugars in the meat and makes the burger tastier. Your Dad was onto something there.

My dad was a chef as was his dad. I was born into the profession.

I go back once a year to visit my mom for a couple fo days then ski with my dad for a couple more. Mom always makes me dinner. I look at the plate and say "mom....I'm not 12 anymore." :lol:

Goulash, Spanish rice, pork chops, meatloaf (followed by meatloaf and cheese sandwiches for lunch the next day), chili, cube steak, pot roast, spaghetti (on Thursday regardless of how hot/humid it was outside), ham and scalloped potatoes(Monday after Sunday ham dinner), and Friday fish fry maybe 6 times a year at......the bowling alley. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

My dad was a chef as was his dad. I was born into the profession.

I go back once a year to visit my mom for a couple fo days then ski with my dad for a couple more. Mom always makes me dinner. I look at the plate and say "mom....I'm not 12 anymore." :lol:

Goulash, Spanish rice, pork chops, meatloaf (followed by meatloaf and cheese sandwiches for lunch the next day), chili, cube steak, pot roast, spaghetti (on Thursday regardless of how hot/humid it was outside), ham a scalloped potatoes(Monday after Sunday ham dinner), and Friday fish fry maybe 6 times a year at......the bowling alley. :D

Its like grew up in the same house. My mothers meatloaf, when it cooled had solidified fat at least half way up the pan... that **** was so good.

Also, we always had breaded pork chops or stuffed pork chops... pork shops were never enough, they needed a coating or stuffing...

We also had Stuffed Peppers quite often to....

My parent barely recognize what my wife and i eat nowadays.... in fact I get bad indigestion when my mother makes food when we visit... she obviously thinks I am still 16 and have o fear of Cornanry Artery Disease... lol

something else you may wish to try is a little trick I learned in my years as a cook: sprinkle some salt onto the burger patty when you first begin to cook it. it helps hold the juices into the burger as it cooks.

something else you may wish to try is a little trick I learned in my years as a cook: sprinkle some salt onto the burger patty when you first begin to cook it. it helps hold the juices into the burger as it cooks.

I sprinkle salt on my burgers along with fresh ground pepper for.......flavor. :nana:

Well, if we're talking about hamburger tips, let me throw out a couple more.

When you combine your beef with salt/pepper/whatever, mix it with a fork, not your hand like you're making a meatloaf. You don't want the meat compact.

When you form the patty, don't pack it. Form it gently so the fat can melt inside and give you great texture.

Before you put it on the grill, press your thumb down in the middle to create an indentation (otherwise your burger will bubble up in the middle).

Lastly, put a thin layer of mayo on the bottom bun before you put the burger on it because apparently the heat from the burger makes the mayo react in such a way as to create a seal so the burger juices don't make the bun soggy.

Oh, and if you want a kickass burger, don't get ground beef. Get a brisket and have the butcher grind it for you (tell him/her to run it through twice).

Carry on.

Edited by LABillzFan

Goulash, Spanish rice, pork chops, meatloaf (followed by meatloaf and cheese sandwiches for lunch the next day), chili, cube steak, pot roast, spaghetti (on Thursday regardless of how hot/humid it was outside), ham and scalloped potatoes(Monday after Sunday ham dinner), and Friday fish fry maybe 6 times a year at......the bowling alley. :D

Its like grew up in the same house.

Same here (except for the fish fry part). My parents would also grow and can a lot of their own vegetables, still do, but not in the same quantity. Homemade applesauce, chilli sauce, hot dog relish, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, pickled beets, pickles, etc...

Same here (except for the fish fry part). My parents would also grow and can a lot of their own vegetables, still do, but not in the same quantity. Homemade applesauce, chilli sauce, hot dog relish, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, pickled beets, pickles, etc...

Started my first garden so I'll be doing some canning and making tomato sauce. Have tons of preserved lemons from our lemon tree. My wife pruned it way back this winter and not sure when we'll get lemons this year. It was a mess and needed it.

Well, if we're talking about hamburger tips, let me throw out a couple more.

When you combine your beef with salt/pepper/whatever, mix it with a fork, not your hand like you're making a meatloaf. You don't want the meat compact.

When you form the patty, don't pack it. Form it gently so the fat can melt inside and give you great texture.

Before you put it on the grill, press your thumb down in the middle to create an indentation (otherwise your burger will bubble up in the middle).

Lastly, put a thin layer of mayo on the bottom bun before you put the burger on it because apparently the heat from the burger makes the mayo react in such a way as to create a seal so the burger juices don't make the bun soggy.

Oh, and if you want a kickass burger, don't get ground beef. Get a brisket and have the butcher grind it for you (tell him/her to run it through twice).

Carry on.

I've actually never heard of any of those, but I'll be trying them all within a week. thanks!

I sprinkle salt on my burgers along with fresh ground pepper for.......flavor. :nana:

I am humbled.....you are a true professional! :)

Relax you two! New Shimmer is a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

Sorry, food's my gig baby! I'm the guy that cringes when I see Chicken Caesar Salad on a menu. Once you put chicken on it, it is no longer a Caesar Salad.

So, having said that. Pickle juice is a seasoning NOT a sauce.

Sorry, food's my gig baby! I'm the guy that cringes when I see Chicken Caesar Salad on a menu. Once you put chicken on it, it is no longer a Caesar Salad.

Of course it's not. It becomes a Chicken Caesar Salad. :rolleyes: