Eric Moulds was on Sirius radio today.

I turned it on during him, Ben Utecht, Torry Smith and I believe with some other former players. I listened for a minute or two but they asked Moulds a couple of questions and one of them was does Buffalo have the best fans in the NFL. Without a moment of heisitation Eric stated absolutely! He then went on to say that no matter what the weather was like or our record Buffalo would ALWAYS sell out. I appreciate his sentiment and I have always felt that #80 got robbed in his career. If there were any kind of continuity or stability during his career here his numbers would even be nastier. The guy was a baller and was a big time Miami killer. I still got a dark blue jersey of his in my closet that is way oversized for me so I ended up giving it to one of my sons. I remember one time that Terrell Owens was asked during the height of his career that if he were to assemble a team what players would be choose and Moulds was the first WR of choice for him. At the time that was a pretty big compliment coming from T.O. #80 will always be one of my all time Bills.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned it on during him, Ben Utecht, Torry Smith and I believe with some other former players. I listened for a minute or two but they asked Moulds a couple of questions and one of them was does Buffalo have the best fans in the NFL. Without a moment of heisitation Eric stated absolutely! He then went on to say that no matter what the weather was like or our record Buffalo would ALWAYS sell out. I appreciate his sentiment and I have always felt that #80 got robbed in his career. If there were any kind of continuity or stability during his career here his numbers would even be nastier. The guy was a baller and was a big time Miami killer. I still got a dark blue jersey of his in my closet that is way oversized for me so I ended up giving it to one of my sons. I remember one time that Terrell Owens was asked during the height of his career that if he were to assemble a team what players would be choose and Moulds was the first WR of choice for him. At the time that was a pretty big compliment coming from T.O. #80 will always be one of my all time Bills.

I feel the same way about Moulds. I think he's the best player to put on a Bills uniform from 1998 to present. the only member of the Bills since 98 who was arguably among the top 3 at his position as a Bill (unless we are counting a punter)

Most overrated Buffalo Bill ever.

He was absolutely unreal in 1998. After that, he quickly began to lose quickness and speed and declined. By 2002 he was really having a hard time getting open and he never had anything more than average hands. Bledsoe was fantastic that year and Moulds put up good numbers with an array of weapons helping open things up, but Moulds was a shadow of that WR he had been in 1998.

Not to mention the fact that he mailed-in his first 2 seasons because he was too busy getting his freak on and slappin' his women in Buffalo around, dodging his child support payments in Mississippi and generally keeping the Bills legal counsel occupied.

There are a lot of Bills fans who were children when Moulds was in his brief prime and I understand that looking thru the eyes of a 9 year old Bills fan Moulds was the man......but other than 1998 he was not one of the elite WR in the NFL. Not even that close either.

I literally can't think of even ONE acrobatic grab he ever made as a receiver and as time wore on his RAC yards became non-existent. The Bills QB play declined significantly after 2002 but by 2003 he was ailing and practically every throw to him was up for grabs because he just couldn't separate. He would come back to a ball, catch it and then turn around and try to put these moves on the db that he didn't seem to realize were in slow motion. His feet just got slow.

I will say this though, he once caught a ball, then turned around and flattened Phillip Buchanon with a stiff arm and stepped on his neck as he trucked over him and that was one of the better plays I saw from a Buffalo Bill in the decade of the 2000's.

I'm pretty indifferent about Moulds, but man...

BADOLBEELZ did that feel better? Not everyone can be as prolific as you.

Just tellin' it like it was. He was great for one season. The Bills drafted him because they needed a big play WR to round out their offense in 1996. The Bills were a SB favorite coming into that season and Kelly was coming off a great year where many people felt he had deserved to be the AFC's MVP. Moulds was going to be that last explosive piece of the puzzle.

Instead he was worthless and that continued in 1997. It's easy to forget but coming into training camp in 1998 there were questions about whether Moulds would even make the team. We aren't talking CJ Spiller's first couple years kinda' bust......Moulds was much closer to Maybin-esque in his bustitude. He couldn't do anything right. When he and Friggin' Lonnie were on the field together at the same time you just knew something stupid was going to happen, which was in direct contrast to a Bills team that had prided itself on smarts and savvy for so many years. He had played awful on offense and he was a criminal who was bringing a lot of bad PR to the team. The strides he made in the 1998 season were incredible, but it also underscored the talent he had been wasting. Then, to have him almost immediately start to decline at such a young age was too bad for us Bills fans. His 1998 was the greatest season ever by a Bills receiver and we thought we had a guy who would be All Pro for many years. Unfortunately it just never worked out that way. Never was the same player after that year.

Most overrated Buffalo Bill ever.

He was absolutely unreal in 1998. After that, he quickly began to lose quickness and speed and declined. By 2002 he was really having a hard time getting open and he never had anything more than average hands. Bledsoe was fantastic that year and Moulds put up good numbers with an array of weapons helping open things up, but Moulds was a shadow of that WR he had been in 1998.

Not to mention the fact that he mailed-in his first 2 seasons because he was too busy getting his freak on and slappin' his women in Buffalo around, dodging his child support payments in Mississippi and generally keeping the Bills legal counsel occupied.

There are a lot of Bills fans who were children when Moulds was in his brief prime and I understand that looking thru the eyes of a 9 year old Bills fan Moulds was the man......but other than 1998 he was not one of the elite WR in the NFL. Not even that close either.

I literally can't think of even ONE acrobatic grab he ever made as a receiver and as time wore on his RAC yards became non-existent. The Bills QB play declined significantly after 2002 but by 2003 he was ailing and practically every throw to him was up for grabs because he just couldn't separate. He would come back to a ball, catch it and then turn around and try to put these moves on the db that he didn't seem to realize were in slow motion. His feet just got slow.

I will say this though, he once caught a ball, then turned around and flattened Phillip Buchanon with a stiff arm and stepped on his neck as he trucked over him and that was one of the better plays I saw from a Buffalo Bill in the decade of the 2000's.

You're very wrong about a few things here. He was fabulous in 1999 in the games he played in. He missed nearly 3 full games because of a hamstring that season, but in the 13.2 games he played in, he was a beast. He was also phenomenal again in 2000, particularly when he had a competent NFL qb throwing to him (Flutie). Not surprisingly, the Johnson game numbers weren't as good. Finally, you're completely wrong about when he lost speed. He lost it when he tore his groin at the end of game 5 of 2003 against the Bengals in OT. He was off to one of the best starts in his career that season, and his big catch against the Bengals sealed the victory (it was also the play where he got hurt). After that injury, he was never the same as a runner. The Bills offense also went into the tank after he got hurt, which tells you how well he was playing. He absolutely destroyed the Pats and Jags in games 1 and 2 of that season. Through five games in 2003, he had 30 catches for 457 yards. Averaged out, that's 96 catches for 1463 yards. More than that, he absolutely dominated in 3 of the first 5 games of that season.

Come on, Badol -- where's your memory? You're better than ill-informed criticisms like this one.

Just tellin' it like it was. He was great for one season. The Bills drafted him because they needed a big play WR to round out their offense in 1996. The Bills were a SB favorite coming into that season and Kelly was coming off a great year where many people felt he had deserved to be the AFC's MVP. Moulds was going to be that last explosive piece of the puzzle.

Instead he was worthless and that continued in 1997. It's easy to forget but coming into training camp in 1998 there were questions about whether Moulds would even make the team. We aren't talking CJ Spiller's first couple years kinda' bust......Moulds was much closer to Maybin-esque in his bustitude. He couldn't do anything right. When he and Friggin' Lonnie were on the field together at the same time you just knew something stupid was going to happen, which was in direct contrast to a Bills team that had prided itself on smarts and savvy for so many years. He had played awful on offense and he was a criminal who was bringing a lot of bad PR to the team. The strides he made in the 1998 season were incredible, but it also underscored the talent he had been wasting. Then, to have him almost immediately start to decline at such a young age was too bad for us Bills fans. His 1998 was the greatest season ever by a Bills receiver and we thought we had a guy who would be All Pro for many years. Unfortunately it just never worked out that way. Never was the same player after that year.

You're wrong. Check out pro-football-reference.com and your own memory banks.

Edited by dave mcbride