Robert Kraft SB Ring stolen

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies. YE OLE should have perhaps added this to the thread from 2005. The NY Post story that was linked was just published on the 14th. Thought it was interesting that Kraft now claims it was stolen and blames the WH for strong arming him into the original story he portrayed. How very strange to come out with this now.

More on the story:

http://profootballta...uper-bowl-ring/

"What Mr. Kraft is saying now is weird,” spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. “I was standing 20 centimeters away from him and Mr. Putin and saw and heard how Mr. Kraft gave this ring as a gift.”

The Russians say the ring is on display with other state gifts at the Kremlin.

On one hand, you can't put too much value in the testimony of Putin's spokesman.

On the other hand, at least the ring is on display at the Kremlin and not in Putin's "personal collection."

I wonder in the wake of this controversy if the ring will make it back to Kraft?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

More on the story:

http://profootballta...uper-bowl-ring/

"What Mr. Kraft is saying now is weird,” spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. “I was standing 20 centimeters away from him and Mr. Putin and saw and heard how Mr. Kraft gave this ring as a gift.”

The Russians say the ring is on display with other state gifts at the Kremlin.

On one hand, you can't put too much value in the testimony of Putin's spokesman.

On the other hand, at least the ring is on display at the Kremlin and not in Putin's "personal collection."

Miscommunication perhaps but I can't wrap my head around Kraft saying "here, take my ring" especially now that he has denied offering

Bush strong armed Kraft into saying it was a gift.

It's a story now because Kraft was recently recounting how it really went down. He let Putin try it on and Putin pocketed and walked out. Not much Kraft could do about it then.

Miscommunication perhaps but I can't wrap my head around Kraft saying "here, take my ring" especially now that he has denied offering

I agree with you that I believe Kraft's version over Putin's version. Usually when a gift is going to be offered to a head of state or high ranking representative of a country the arrangement is going to be made in advance. Apparently that wasn't done here. Maybe this conflicting interpretation of the situation can be attributed to poor communication and language interpretation? Or maybe it was just Putin's thug attitude on display?

From what I understand Kraft has some business interests in Russia. So I'm sure he is reluctant to get entangled with the Russian strongman. To put it mildly it is a tough environment to be involved in.

Edited by JohnC

Two thoughts on this: 20 centimeters equals 7.974". People usually don't stand that close to someone. Also, would you hand something extremely valuable & high in sentimental value to a known communist?

Edited by Glory Bound

Bush strong armed Kraft into saying it was a gift.

It's a story now because Kraft was recently recounting how it really went down. He let Putin try it on and Putin pocketed and walked out. Not much Kraft could do about it then.

Putin probably figured that Kraft only brought it to present as a gift. And that when it was clear Kraft wasn't getting it back, Dubya told him to say it was a gift.

The questions are: how many SB winning owners have visited Putin, have they brought their SB rings, and were they stolen?

Putin probably figured that Kraft only brought it to present as a gift. And that when it was clear Kraft wasn't getting it back, Dubya told him to say it was a gift.

The questions are: how many SB winning owners have visited Putin, have they brought their SB rings, and were they stolen?

It doesn't look like Putin thought it was a gift. He asked to try it on, pocketed it, and walked out.

Kraft is the first and likely only NFL owner to visit Putin.

It doesn't look like Putin thought it was a gift. He asked to try it on, pocketed it, and walked out.

Kraft is the first and likely only NFL owner to visit Putin.

Agree on both fronts. The rooneys may be the only other if I had to guess.

Ok, I'll give his cohort the 20 centimeter thing, but I will never believe Kraft gave Putin the ring as a gift.

I also don't think the ring was a gift to Putin.

My early reaction was what JohnC said about it possibly being a cultural/language misunderstanding.

Mostly I think it was a brazen act of larceny by Putin.

I also don't think the ring was a gift to Putin.

My early reaction was what JohnC said about it possibly being a cultural/language misunderstanding.

Mostly I think it was a brazen act of larceny by Putin.

Agreed, & Putin has a golden opportunity to make Kraft look bad by issuing a statement along these lines... "We understand that sometimes people have a change of heart when giving gifts, we will therefore return the ring to Mr. Kraft." I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Kraft should have cut his losses & kept the matter to himself.