Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Oh you are just making that up .

The answer is.. stop the run. with LBs. an honest gap penetrating pass rush and some fat kid in the middle taking on two once in a while for kicks.

Then Byrd would be an elite safety i would wager.

all of a sudden

i said in another post about Gilmore, to some uproar, that Alonso and Bradham have my full attention.

The key considering the rest of the up and down talent throughout the defensive side of the ball will be the abilty against the run.

Branch and Troup could play true nose guard ideally i might guess at this point.

The edit: i am referring to Buffalo solely. and as as compared to last 3 seasons

You're funny.

I want a fat butt Wilfork at my NT. I want a KWilliams of 2 seasons ago and a hog of a Dareus moving the line so a fire under his ass and bacon grease on his heels Alonso (or other ILB) can bring the pain to whatever moves between the OT's.

If you can clear the road in front of the FS he can have a full window to work. At that point it is FS vs. the Ball. The ball doesn't have as good of chances as one might think.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're funny.

I want a fat butt Wilfork at my NT. I want a KWilliams of 2 seasons ago and a hog of a Dareus moving the line so a fire under his ass and bacon grease on his heels Alonso (or other ILB) can bring the pain to whatever moves between the OT's.

If you can clear the road in front of the FS he can have a full window to work. At that point it is FS vs. the Ball. The ball doesn't have as good of chances as one might think.

It's all based on the scheme, kill the guy with the ball is the Bills new scheme. Not to be confused with bend but don't break.

It's all based on the scheme, kill the guy with the ball is the Bills new scheme. Not to be confused with bend but don't break.

in any system the one position that remains unchanged is the FS. A FS is universal. The Tampa2 does not use a real FS, but a hybrid FS or a second SS to add. I am not saying we have to keep Byrd at any costs but I am saying there is a great deal of misunderstanding here.

You're funny.

we understand each other perfectly.

Mitch you have another point well taken.

Break them dont bend them. as as Coach Mike said recently " we will play clean, hitting hard, but we are not helping them up "

Name one NFL defense in which safety play defines the overall performance of the unit.

There are none. I disagree with Reed and Polamalu being mentioned as correct answers.

Both of those players have had the great benefit of having many extremely talented players playing in front of them as well as very good defensive coordinators coaching them.

Are they great safeties? Yes.

Does their play define the overall performance of the unit? I don't think so.

the earliest to expect byrd is week #1 of the regular season. he will not come to camp or play in any pre-season games.

This is exactly why I do not bother keeping up with this thread. There is absolutely nothing to see here. Anyone who thinks Byrd agrees to a contract before the start of the season is foolish. I would bet somewhere between the Tuesday and Friday of the week before the first game he signs the franchise tag.

Yes. Both sides are bound by the rules and are backed into a corner.

The only question now is when does Byrd report?

if your referring to a Willis McGahee type of policy he took out on his knees, how much was that? $1million?... $5million maybe?

Byrd is slotted to make another $60mil+ in his career. How much would a $60mil insurance policy run nowadays?

He wouldn't pay anywhere near as much as McGahee because he has no pre-existing condition. I don't know how much the premium is for a year. I haven't had a need for such a policy. But I know A-Rod and the Yankees both have insurance on him, because of the guaranteed contracts, but it's basically the same idea.

Regardless of how much the premium is, these are the issues that should be pondered when deciding whether to have your agent hold out for "highest paid safety in the league" dollars, or sign a really lucrative long-term deal that might be only top 5 money.

There are none. I disagree with Reed and Polamalu being mentioned as correct answers.

The pairing of polamalu and Ryan Clark is a biiiig part of the steelers defense. Reed would likely be the closest to a single player.... Thinking outside the box a little- what about bob sanders in the colts defense as an example? A bit dated but may better represent what the question was looking for?

The pairing of polamalu and Ryan Clark is a biiiig part of the steelers defense. Reed would likely be the closest to a single player.... Thinking outside the box a little- what about bob sanders in the colts defense as an example? A bit dated but may better represent what the question was looking for?

aha!

Yea right. I am not a peters apologist but get real. They were not paying him LT money or anywhere near his value.Then, they signed some crap overpiced interior lineman at 10X their worth. But it's all Peters fault. Let it go. The Bills F-ed up pure and simple early on by low balling him. he's gone and why does it need to be rehashed with revisionist history every few months? If you're going to make comments like that put it in proper prospective people may have a hard time taking your posts seriously.

His time and actions in Philly no one here should care about. But they do because their ticked off he's no longer here. Why else do these silly comments pop up constantly? All the hate should be at Levitre and Byrd now. Fresh meat.

I am THRILLED he's not hear! Sorry.

in any system the one position that remains unchanged is the FS. A FS is universal. The Tampa2 does not use a real FS, but a hybrid FS or a second SS to add. I am not saying we have to keep Byrd at any costs but I am saying there is a great deal of misunderstanding here.

Do you think we should make him the highest paid FS in the league ??

Why in the world would they want to restructure after three years? For this. Or this. Or this.

Bottom line is that the only thing that has changed is the timing of the bonus payouts - they are usually paid out over first two to three years, as opposed to in one shot at signing. Because a large portion of NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, the contracts are structured to force a decision after year three.

Dude, please. The first example is a re-working of a back-loaded deal to create cap space in an early part of the deal. This is inapposite to your first argument because you are trying to convince me that backloading is done to make it necessary to do an extension in the last year. Then, when I ask why a team would want to do that, you cite me an example of re-working a deal in the early part of the deal.

The first example demonstrates the conversion of salary owed later into signing bonus now to get the benefit of pro-rating the cap out to later years to make cap room in the current year. It only COMPOUNDS the problem and makes it worse. Which is precisely why teams do NOT do those types of deals anymore. They try to create deals where the cap hit is relatively even over the whole contract. If anything, they tend to keep the cap higher in the first year or two to make it easier to cut them later without huge cap ramifications.

You are citing examples of old contracts that were huge problems that created cap problems for the team, and then how they compounded that problem by pushing the cap ramifications out to later and later years, creating huge dead money if they have to get rid of him.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time or inclination to keep arguing with you on this. Believe what you want.

Edited by BuffaloBob

aha!

Sanders is also a real contender.

It seems as with Reed and Polamalu that the defense was much better when Sanders played than when he didn't.

On the other hand, I would say the most iconic player on those Colts' defenses was definitely Dwight Freeney.

I guess I'm bound by the conventional thinking that defenses are defined by the big guys closest to the LOS.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

This is exactly why I do not bother keeping up with this thread. There is absolutely nothing to see here. Anyone who thinks Byrd agrees to a contract before the start of the season is foolish. I would bet somewhere between the Tuesday and Friday of the week before the first game he signs the franchise tag.

To follow your post:

If Byrd plays at a very high level he does not return to the Bills and only uses them to elevate his contract with another team.

If Byrd plays at the same level achieved he considers signing a contract in Buffalo making him the highest paid FS in the league, in history

If Byrd gets injured and misses 3-4 games the Bills will fail to offer him the contract above and he will want to test FA.

If Byrd gets injured for the season early on then he will not consider a contract at all and end up a FA where he will do several workouts for teams and likely sign with a team in a market like Phili, Dallas, SF, NYG or Oakland. Teams that over invest in minor positions.

Where's the scenario where the Bills just franchise him again?

I'm also a prisoner to the idea that cornerbacks are much more important than safeties.

Indeed ! well then ... thats rather crass i must suggest. Considering the subject at hand, wouldn't you consider to agree ?

even if you are valid ?

evening gents and ladies

Where's the scenario where the Bills just franchise him again?

I do not know if they do that. If we suck out the year we may but it sends a bad message to the teammates.

Do you think we should make him the highest paid FS in the league ??

I have no idea where the talks are. I would make him the highest paid S in the league with 70% of the money in the first 40% of the contract. So, maybe $9mm next year, $9mm year 2, $8.5mm, $7mmm, $5mm, $5mm. With an optional pick up on 7th yr at $6mm.

I have no real idea... I just want a front loaded contract.