Please edit Topic Title

With our own Bills losing 1 game a year to Toronto this game being taken away from the home town fans how do you all feel about the possibility of not only 1 game a year to not see our team at least on American soil but now maybe 2 .

Is this "possibility" based on something other than the usual nothing-good-ever-happens-to-us mentality?

PTR

Is this "possibility" based on something other than the usual nothing-good-ever-happens-to-us mentality?

PTR

No Goodell has said it only applies to teams that aren't allready playing abroad (Bills) and that teams loose a max of 1 home game.

No it wasn't. It was rather succesfull, it was the most visited sport behind soccer in the countries it was played which is huge. From a farming perspective it was a success too, it delivered pro-bowlers, front office staff, refs and coaches to the NFL.

Where it failed was commerce, TV stations didnt want to pay the NFL for broadcast rights. Simple as that.

It had limited success in getting American Football played more, allthough near the end there was a pretty large coming of flag football (in the Netherlands that is, don't know about Germany).

To some extend maybe, but not for more then 10% of the attendance. Most of the attendance exists of former NFL Europe fans and regular EU based NFL fans that would rather see their own team but settle for the closest thing.

Always interesting to get a different perspective. Mine was from England, Spain and Germany. Of the people I knew and worked with (granted a small subset of the population), none cared about tackle football at all except as a curiosity. It did do very well in Germany though in areas with large numbers of displaced Americans like military bases.

This is all about television rights. NFL Europe failed due to no local tv stations being interested in paying for the broadcast rights. No broadcasts = no NFL.

The UK have been selling out Wembley easy every game plus they resulted in multiple television deals (SKY and BBC) and a broader audience and broader interest. This is what folding NFL Europe and moving to the London game was about and is about. Grow the UK market, and if succesfull expand a team into London. This is a 10 year plan. After London they'll repeat the tactic with Germany.

Bills are exempt because of the Toronto game, stop spreading panic. Besides the Bills are internationally a bad product; no-one cares for a loosing team. So the Bills are commercially not viable for the London game. That said the Bills could end up there on an away game next year if the team performs this year. That'd be the away game of the year imho, so much nicer to visit Europe then say Greenbay. It's only a 6 hour flight from New York, maybe even less.

Now you are being down right insulting. Redskins isnt a stupid name? Bills is not a stupid name? Patriots*... How lame can you get... Dolphins?? Etc, etc. Ow you think they arent stupid because they represent a local relation or simply because you are accustomed to them? So did the Nfl Europe teams. London Monarchs for their monarchy, Scottish Claymores for their historical sword, Amsterdam Admirals for conquering the world in the golden age, etc, etc. The naming of NFL Europe was on par with the naming of the NFL.

Who says it's about expansion, it might be about replacing an existing NFL team. Even if it's about expansion, then there is enough talent available to fill another NFL team. They don't want to degrade the product, they want to expand it and thus grow commercially.

Pure commerce, they werent getting revenue from selling TV rights due to lack of interest. Fan base wasn't the issue. I assume you think the Houston Texans need to be dismantled as well? The NFL pulling the plug hurt, it hurt like hell, it would be like you would loose the NFL and have Japan left as alternative.

They won't expand without having faith in the talent pool, degrading the product will cost them money.

America has their baseball, basketball and icehockey. What do you say, shall we just ask Gooddell to fold the NFL?

By your post & all the negativity toward the name comment & the individual break down of EVERY SENTENCE you must be a foreigner .

Just a guess ??

PTR

No just thinking if it could be possible i hope the entire thing of teams in over seas markets goes away unless it is a Europe league & as another poster said Europe champ plays American champ in a world bowl situation .

I just think if not done correctly the NFL as we know it will become watered down & not true to it's roots ...

No just thinking if it could be possible i hope the entire thing of teams in over seas markets goes away unless it is a Europe league & as another poster said Europe champ plays American champ in a world bowl situation .

I just think if not done correctly the NFL as we know it will become watered down & not true to it's roots ...

unless you are proposing sending 16 teams overseas, a world bowl would by its very nature water the nfl down (more than a team relocating in fact)

the real issue is its a travel nightmare still. until we can send west coast teams on the road to london, and not need extra time built into the schedule.... its just not reasonable. right now we just simply do not fly fast enough (especially when you tack on time at customs etc...).

By your post & all the negativity toward the name comment & the individual break down of EVERY SENTENCE you must be a foreigner .

Just a guess ??

You need to guess? Between your inability to differentiate between NFL Europe and a NFL game being played in London, your lack of ability to edit a topic title and your lack of ability to read my signature, I know for sure that I'm done with you and this topic.

Edited by bladiebla

Always interesting to get a different perspective. Mine was from England, Spain and Germany. Of the people I knew and worked with (granted a small subset of the population), none cared about tackle football at all except as a curiosity. It did do very well in Germany though in areas with large numbers of displaced Americans like military bases.

I live in Haarlem which is just 20km outside of Amsterdam, the Amsterdam Admirals was being followed pretty intense through out the greater Amsterdam region. Then again I was (maybe still am) a die-hard, so people always came up to me and asked how we'd done etc. Dusseldorf, Germany, that whole town turned burgundy on gameday, even has a street named after Rhein Fire after they won the World Bowl. Barcelona, no one cared. Berlin was coming along slowly, Hamburg was starting to get big and Frankfurt always was big. I dont have a perspective on Scotland. With regards to London, that was completly mismanaged and destroyed by their front office.

With regards to amateur tackle, I dont really know about other countries, in the Netherlands the number of people playing tackle trippled as a result of the NFL stimulance however that still meant a very low number of only 10000 amateur players.

unless you are proposing sending 16 teams overseas, a world bowl would by its very nature water the nfl down (more than a team relocating in fact)

the real issue is its a travel nightmare still. until we can send west coast teams on the road to london, and not need extra time built into the schedule.... its just not reasonable. right now we just simply do not fly fast enough (especially when you tack on time at customs etc...).

It could be done with the two bye weeks and have you stay over there on a road trip to play 3-5 or however many games there are each week.

Might take some coordination. But should not be too difficult.

With one home game already in a foreign country we would be the last team to lose another home game to a foreign country. Unless of course you consider San Diego to be part of Mexico.

Canada's a foreign country?? I always thought of it as a gated community with good strip joints.