For the first time in a very long time I feel this team has a clean sl

I really want to believe that's the case. But, as long as Russ Brandon is in charge, I can't.

How do we know for sure he isn't involved? Until he's gone, gone (I hate to even bring that up), he's still "here".

I'm in with the group that likes all of this on paper, but still has that nagging feeling of "we do this every few years, show me the baby".

Yeah. The Russ Brandon-run Bills are an unmitigated disaster. :doh:

Both of you must be pretty young because you don't have the historical perspective on the Bills that us old farts have. Trust me, these Bills are nothing like the Bills of yore. Does the upper deck of RWS have drop on your head to see that?

PTR

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you must be pretty young because you don't have the historical perspective on the Bills that us old farts have. Trust me, these Bills are nothing like the Bills of yore. Does the upper deck of RWS have drop on your head to see that?

PTR

It's the Bills "historical perspective" that is exactly why fans, young or old farts, have a jaded view and wish for some empirical evidence before they decide that the tide has turned.

I really want to believe that's the case. But, as long as Russ Brandon is in charge, I can't.

I'm curious to know what he's done that makes you so nervous about him.

Edited by stony

And on this note, I have been wondering....what if Fitz and Chan were kept and they brought in Pettine? I felt that if our defense could have been salvaged, that it alone would have helped every other aspect of our team including the offense. Especially with the tone/momentum our offense had at times.

Unfortunately Chan bet on Wanny and Fitz ... It cost him his job. Chan had a good offense. I am curious to see how Marrone will do. I think the Bills needed a fresh start.

And on this note, I have been wondering....what if Fitz and Chan were kept and they brought in Pettine? I felt that if our defense could have been salvaged, that it alone would have helped every other aspect of our team including the offense. Especially with the tone/momentum our offense had at times.

I don't think Pettine would've been interested if Chan were still around. I think working with a young up-and-comer like Marrone was a big factor in bringing him on.

Yeah, I've wondered that, too - but, I also wondered, why didn't we ever bring in, in one offseason, 1. A new QB, and 2. three or four interesting WR's (Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, and Kaufmann), while Gailey was here? I think had Gailey stayed he would have been arrogant about his ability to coach up people, and we'd still have Jones and Nelson as some of our top WR's. I give Marrone a heck of a lot of credit for QUICKLY identifying where the roster needed upgrading, and for then teaming with our GM(s) to get the personnel he needed.

The optimist in me agrees with you, the pessimist in me says "don't we do this every 3 or 4 years anyway?"

I understand where you are coming from, but actually the answer is no, we dont do this every 3 or 4 years. We have changed coaches, but that's it. In the past we were still mostly under Ralph's control, lacked a GM at times, hired a GM that was old as dirt because Ralph trusted him, etc.

This year, we have removed Ralph and put the control with Russ, changed the whole FO, GM, and went after a different type of coach than we normally looked at. There is a lot different about this year than in years past, this was entirely new directional change for the entire organization.

And yes, I totally agree with the clean slate. There is more to be optimistic here about than just being a homer. This team has changed everything it wants to do, including going after talented, fast, aggressive young players rather than just high character guys you are safe bets off the field. This team is looking to be fast, mean, and have swagger...I cant say that about any Bills offseason that I can remember.

Yeah, I've wondered that, too - but, I also wondered, why didn't we ever bring in, in one offseason, 1. A new QB, and 2. three or four interesting WR's (Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, and Kaufmann), while Gailey was here? I think had Gailey stayed he would have been arrogant about his ability to coach up people, and we'd still have Jones and Nelson as some of our top WR's. I give Marrone a heck of a lot of credit for QUICKLY identifying where the roster needed upgrading, and for then teaming with our GM(s) to get the personnel he needed.

I agree...There is no way we would have the combination of Woods, Goodwin, and Rogers on this team right now as we would have definitely kept one, if not both, of those guys (Nelson and Jones). Not to mention, Fitz was in no way the answer at QB and was only going to continue to hold this team back, especially with the love affair Gailey had with him to the point he would under utilize our run game no matter how well Spiller and/or FJ was running.

Gailey and Fitz were severely holding this team back and we are already a better team for it no matter what happens this year because this team is headed in a MUCH better direction. Its a young team with a young staff and FO...wont be unusual to see growing pains, but this team today sits in a substantially better position across the board than it did in week 17 last year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

A clean slate maybe, but what does that mean, really? I agree that getting rid of Nix and Gailey was a very good and long overdue move and can only work to the benefit of the team, but that isn't a feather in the present administration's bonnet. They start with a clean slate and that is all. The time to prove whether they are any good will be how they handle the upcoming season.

No, the difference is no Ralph involvement. Ralph's hand was in everything up to this point. And Ralph was probably the #1 reason no one wanted to come to Buffalo.

PTR

So, let me see if I understand, because the Kool-Aid sure is flowing somehow. So, by Ralph "not being involved anymore", that means the same exact front office is still the front office. The only difference is that they jumbled around a bit. Well, two of them did anyway.

Then, I guess the icing on the cake is that because Ralph is "not being involved anymore" people like the mediocre coaching staff, from a mediocre, at best, college football program (and in a horrible conference) came here?

And because Ralph is "not involved anymore" we were able to get the guy, who was as much of a defensive coordinator as Curtis Modkins was in Buffalo.

Oh, I see. Pass me the Kool-Aid please. Apparently, mine didn't come with as much sugar as everyone else's.

It's the Bills "historical perspective" that is exactly why fans, young or old farts, have a jaded view and wish for some empirical evidence before they decide that the tide has turned.

Wow. A simple, fantastic, written response.

:beer:

I feel that we have made a complete change with this team. Its front office approach, its coaching approach and the players we are bringing in. You cant erase the past but you can't keep looking back and turning back to it.

I have no idea how this team will do this year but I feel we have made a huge change and its going in the right direction.

Like most things in life, I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before.

Like most things in life, I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before.

So why do we even have TBD to debate things when the answer is always "I'll believe it when I see it?" Of course there is nothing to see until the season starts, and really until the season is over. So the response to every thread is "I'll believe it when I see it" unless the post is about how much we will suck.

Of course that is the easy answer since it requires no analysis or assessment. "We have always sucked so we will keep sucking" no matter who is playing, coaching or managing.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

I'll gladly be wrong.

And thanks for calling me young. ;)

As a former Ralph-is-cheap-ist, I HAVE to believe that this season will be different. I understand that just because he says he won't grab the steering wheel doesn't mean he doesn't control the one who is at the wheel. But the direction of the team doesn't feel like the same old same old. But a new QB, all new coaches is not status quo in Ralphtown.

If that were true, the Bills would be better on paper for this season. Give me an experienced OC and QB for one season any day. The defense put Fitz in many very bad situations last year that you had to be Peyton Manning to get out of. But coaches are a package deal. You get all of them or none of them. Just the way it works. That's why when the Bills are sold, it starts all over again, top to bottom. Don't get too comfortable with Marrone and Co. they won't be around very long.

In the hypothetical situation where Chan had a much better DC, the Bills would probably have won 2-3 more games and Chan would probably still be coach.

I'm so glad that he was stubborn enough to stick with his buddy Wanny, thereby being directly responsible for the Bills ineptitude and his own firing.

Even with an improvement to 8-8, this team was going nowhere under Chan.

Some of the considerations i considered were hiring Lovie as head coach and have a heavy hand in defense. Let Chan run the offense. Couldnt happen of course. But as hindsight tells me. Gailey would have hung on stubbornly to things that did not work. Like Fitz .

A full blown change was in order and thats what we got . But this foundation looks a bit stronger and stands alone. Whereas the last couple go rounds were tweaks to system that just didn't work.

8and 8. I think you are wrong about the stabilty in Buffalo down the road. My main concern ( it's very early yet ) is that we will lose a coordinator once the offers pour in and the team has turned the tide in AFC