Mike Pettine's Defense fascinating fans & media

http://www.chatsports.com/buffalo-bills/a/Buffalo-Bills-news-523-Mike-Pettines-defense-fascinating-fans-media-2-7912241

I'm officially IN on the new Bills! I believe in the level of talent AND that it was misused under the previous coaching staff. Dammit! That Brandon is clever!!

LAMP: 5000th Post. Sorta.. There's another 1200 or so out there in the Rosensphere somewhere..

I think Pettine's approach is somewhat unique but didn't we see this alot in other defenses last year (or for a few years anyway)? Pittsburgh, Seattle, even the Niners defenses have alot of versatile guys. Nonetheless, I'm happy we are going in that direction as opposed to the vanilla crap we witnessed last year. Pettine is a nononsense kind of guy...as is Kiko Alonso. These two guys will be the cornerstone of our defense this year and for years to come.

I'm glad you brought up this post - I wanted to very much, but I didn't really have anything to say other than how impressed I was with Pettine's recent Q&A on BuffaloBills.com.

As much as I like Marrone and his intelligence/innovation, a bigger reason for my optimism towards the Bills is Pettine! As much as I despised our flip-flopping schemes on defense over the last 3 years, I actually think that indecision will BENEFIT us now; we have players on our roster that are athletic and capable of playing in different schemes/positions.

Think about it - Alex Carrington and Mario Williams, both about 6-5, 300lbs, and both have played DE and OLB, and Carrington has played DT, too. Then there's Dareus and K.Williams, who have both played NT, DT, and DE in 3-4.

Lawson, Alonso, Bradham can each play ILB or OLB. Hughes can play OLB or DE. Dowton and Scott can both play Safety or LB. Then you have Aaron Williams and Duke Williams who can play both Safety and CB!

That is a very, very nice group of players who have enough physical talent to be playmakers, if they haven't been so already. Now, you take those talents and put them in the hands of a guy like Pettine, who is a MASTERMIND of defense, and whose specialty happens to be SCHEME INTERCHANGABILITY / FLEXIBILITY! We will be able to line up in 3-3-5, 4-2-5, and 2-4-5 type schemes that will be able to effectively go after the QB and stop the run, and blitz from anywhere! QB's are going to have fits trying to decipher what we're planning.

I can clearly remember watching Jets games over the last 3 years and thinking, "WHY CAN'T WE PLAY DEFENSE LIKE THIS!!!!" Well, now we can, and I for one think we'll be playing excellent defense right out of the gates - which is why I believe we'll have a very good chance this year to make the playoffs.

And, as for Pettine - I can't overemphasize how important I think intelligence is in the NFL; and Pettine comes off as very intelligent. But, the one aspect of intelligent men in football that sometimes lessens their effectiveness - they sometimes come off as soft, or not as fierce, as the more brute-ish type guys who are more old-school. Well, Pettine, to me, brings both to the table. He's fierce, aggressive, and intelligent. We need those qualities in abundance if we're going to stop the Patriots.

I think Pettine's approach is somewhat unique but didn't we see this alot in other defenses last year (or for a few years anyway)? Pittsburgh, Seattle, even the Niners defenses have alot of versatile guys. Nonetheless, I'm happy we are going in that direction as opposed to the vanilla crap we witnessed last year. Pettine is a nononsense kind of guy...as is Kiko Alonso. These two guys will be the cornerstone of our defense this year and for years to come.

Unfortunately if and when Pettine succeeds here in Buffalo, he will be a head coach somewhere else very soon afterwards.

Unfortunately if and when Pettine succeeds here in Buffalo, he will be a head coach somewhere else very soon afterwards.

Thanks a lot, killjoy! Not so fascinated anymore.. Cuz I'm sure you're right..

I love speculation. I am all for Pettine being the DC. However, we will soon find out who really ran the Jets defense, if Pettine was a product of Rex Ryan success, or in fact Pettine was the reason for the Jets defense being so good.

Remember just a year ago how excited we were that "Dave Wannstedt will finally get to call the plays!" Guy was terrible.

I was thinking the same thing, but then you just hope one of the assistants catch to the scheme and can keep it going.

This has been our best move of the offseason. If we can just get to mediocre at stopping the run we will be more fun to watch!

Plus I mean it's amazing to me that he can coach and still have time to film all those episodes with his wife Brandi in Storage Wars!!

I re-watched the week 17 jets game last night to see how in the hell we finally "figured" that defense out. We didn't, really. It was an ugly game in which we won the turnover battle, and once for a touch. Fitz was 12-26 and Spiller only went 59 on 24 touches.

This made me feel a lot better.

Have heard these rah rah stories many times. Until we see it on Sunday's it's just a lot of hot air.

Then wtf are you doing on an NFL message board in May?

I'm glad you brought up this post - I wanted to very much, but I didn't really have anything to say other than how impressed I was with Pettine's recent Q&A on BuffaloBills.com.

Linky thingy. He has nice words about Goldilocks. Putting bricks in the wall one at a time from the ground up. Sponge theory, schematics, notebooks, iPads. A cornerstone of the system is flexibility. Versatility - minimizes the pre-snap information you're giving the offense.

All good stuff! :thumbsup:

What I like about Pettine is that he knows our opponents.

He knows Sanchez and he knows Brady. He knows what he has to get the Bills D to do to beat those teams.

Hopefully he can make his knowledge work.

Great point and perhaps THE single best attribute he brings to the table; strong knowledge of divisional opponents.

I like the direction we are heading but this scheme is not something that just magically comes together. It's a complicated scheme, especially for his interior defense, and we are raw at MLB and SS. My gut tells me it will be the better half of a season before they are so comfortable in it that players are reacting instinctively vs. thinking about their assignments.

GO BILLS!!!

This has been our best move of the offseason. If we can just get to mediocre at stopping the run we will be more fun to watch!

Plus I mean it's amazing to me that he can coach and still have time to film all those episodes with his wife Brandi in Storage Wars!!

:thumbsup:

Brian Galliford has spent a lot of time watching NYJ video, trying to figure out Pettine's defense and how he may apply his defensive philosophy to the Bills. I thought Galliford's analysis - in a series of articles - made for good reading.

The first link might be the most illuminating...

http://www.chatsport...media-2-7912241

P.S. Bobby Chandler, congrats on your 5,000th post (even if you closed my last thread)!

Coach Pettine seems focused and clear headed. Most of the staff who i have watched speak , or read quotes does.

We sound competent all of a sudden.

I watched the presser with Hackett yesterday and he is super smart but he also is having waaay too much fun up there. I laughed out loud with him when he was getting asked 5 questions all at once and he started to bob and weave his head. And he is almost smiling all the time. must be great to be coached by this guy.

Marrone is so big and serious he looks the perfect part for head coach.he owns the room at pressers. And such a presence that i want to run some plays for him!

But Coach P.

He is my kinda guy. He looks the part and then he sounds it too. Galliford's efforts have been great for me to read and get up to speed on Pettine and would recommend.

As i said a ways back . This is no longer what we have been used to for years and years and years.

My little signature is quite correct.

The football stars are about to align for us fans. I believe that firmly. koolaid or not.

The positivity about this here Mike's Pettiness is noticable across the boards !

This

Im in full prove it to me mode this season, even tho I like Koolaid we have been drowned in it for 13 yrs now...

And thats a fair and reasonable man's perspective. I respect that alot when i post.

This

Im in full prove it to me mode this season, even tho I like Koolaid we have been drowned in it for 13 yrs now...

Then wtf are you doing on an NFL message board in May?

Coach Pettine seems focused and clear headed. Most of the staff who i have watched speak , or read quotes does.

We sound competent all of a sudden.

I watched the presser with Hackett yesterday and he is super smart but he also is having waaay too much fun up there. I laughed out loud with him when he was getting asked 5 questions all at once and he started to bob and weave his head. And he is almost smiling all the time. must be great to be coached by this guy.

Marrone is so big and serious he looks the perfect part for head coach.he owns the room at pressers. And such a presence that i want to run some plays for him!

But Coach P.

He is my kinda guy. He looks the part and then he sounds it too. Galliford's efforts have been great for me to read and get up to speed on Pettine and would recommend.

As i said a ways back . This is no longer what we have been used to for years and years and years.

My little signature is quite correct.

The football stars are about to align for us fans. I believe that firmly. koolaid or not.

The positivity about this here Mike's Pettiness is noticable across the boards !

And thats a fair and reasonable man's perspective. I respect that alot when i post.

Hackett has already earned a reputation at OBD for being hyper and giddy. I'll take my OC's no other way thank you very much.