online investing

Do you work in either finance or the healthcare industry? How did you stumble across MNKD and where did you learn the keys of picking bio-tech/pharma stocks?

Personally, I won't touch bio-tech or healthcare stocks. As if investing in a company which is essentially pre-revenue isn't difficult enough, add in the FDA, clinical trials, and the incredible uncertainty surrounding the ACA and I have no idea which way is up when it comes to healthcare.

Neither, printing industry. I'm no expert either. When I researched funds, healthcare had the highest return of most sectors. Within healthcare pharm's were the best performers. You can pick funds or stocks that make up a fund.

I told a guy at work about Fidelity Select Biotechnology (FBIOX). He told me about Mannkind. That has been a short term hit for now, up 2.31% today, more than I will make at work today Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe that says more about my job LOL. Mannkind is developing an inhaleable insulin delivery process that would obsolete syringes for diabetics. If and when that goes through, tell me that wouldn't explode in the market

How many people are kicking themselves in the backside over Apple (just for example) right now?
Count me in that group. When that hit 700 seems a lot of sell orders kicked in and it was at 600 within a week. Get your stop orders in

short term cap gains tax?

This sucks. You have to share what you worked for with some welfare loser sitting at home on their ass

Edited by MarkyMannn

Neither, printing industry. I'm no expert either. When I researched funds, healthcare had the highest return of most sectors. Within healthcare pharm's were the best performers. You can pick funds or stocks that make up a fund.

I told a guy at work about Fidelity Select Biotechnology (FBIOX). He told me about Mannkind. That has been a short term hit for now, up 2.31% today, more than I will make at work today Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe that says more about my job LOL. Mannkind is developing an inhaleable insulin delivery process that would obsolete syringes for diabetics. If and when that goes through, tell me that wouldn't explode in the market

Hmmm, where have I heard this before. Oh yeah that's right........here:

SETH: Yeah, they sure are. So, are you playing the market at all?

HARRY: Well I don't know about playing. I do own some blue chips. They were actually wedding gifts from our friends in New York.

SETH: Well, I'm calling to tell you about an explosive situation we have going on right now. A pharmaceutical company, Farrow Tech has a drug called Parattin in the third stage of FDA approval.

HARRY: What does it do?

SETH: Good question, Harry. Good question. This is the best part. It helps premature babies develop properly.

HARRY: Sound like a great drug.

SETH: It is.

Edited by Chef Jim

I don't know. Will it ever make it out of clinical trials? What are the chances it gets approved by the FDA? If it ever sees the market, which is a big if with any pharma company, how much will it cost, will it be covered under most insurance plans? I don't know healthcare or biotech, so I stay away. Anecdotal reasons for buying have their place, but at the end of the day MNKD is speculative buy for either you or I, since we cannot accurately assess risk or determine any range of intrinsic value for this company.

Since MNKD doesn't earn a profit, pay dividends, generate revenue, and has no tangible asset base, your value is purely a factor of the likelihood that MNKD makes it through clinical trials (see biotech/pharma arbitrage), an arduous process, and perhaps a premium due to the manager's history (since this Mann guy sh$ts gold from the brief bio I read). Your value could disappear overnight if afrezza doesn't pass these trials or hits some roadblocks. You should familiarize yourself with the process that it takes for drugs to hit the market. Then report back because I'd like to know too. If your buddy can't answer the questions I posed, I would be cautious of taking his advice.

Also, you're picking yesterday's winners. Not that choosing from within last year's hot sector is necessarily wrong but its something to be aware of. Studies have shown (don't ask me which), that looking at last year's loser is a good area to choose from if you're into that whole mean reversion thing.

Edited by Jauronimo

I worked at a brokerage in a previous life. Biotech firms had higher intraday/overnight margin requirements than other stocks (as high as 75% on some issues). These companies' entire businesses are bases on FDA approvals & rampant insider trading is present. You can see it in the changes in option open interest and implied volatility.

If you do not understand everything in the last paragraph, do not trade biotechs.

Edited by HopsGuy

http://finance.yahoo...urce=undefined;

Thos folks who did not sell Apple at 188 when it went to 90 gotta be kicking themselves .

Not trying to be a richard here.., just saying getting advice from a sports message board on what to do with your mone is the same as going to the Buffalo City govenment and asking them how they plan Championship Parades...makes no sense

I don't think you're a richard.....but massive generalizations about how one might protect themselves (take/protect profit occasionally) is much different than, "Hey buddy....sell your mom's car and buy as much of 'blah blah' as you can....you can't lose." I get your point....no worries.

In the gold rush days, most prospectors went broke, and a few got wealthy. The guys who sold picks and shovels to the prospectors made nice steady profits.

One way to participate in the biotech industry with less risk (and admittedly less potential upside) is to figure out what kinds of "picks and shovels" the biotech researchers need and invest in the companies that make them.

Takes some time and effort to figure out what the best new types of shovels will be, and it's certainly no sure thing, but it's less risky than trying to figure out (guess?) what clinical trials will be successful.

But even this somewhat less risky approach should not be used if you aren't willing to do some investigation first.

Inhaled insulin hit the market years ago and failed miserably (exubera) ...too many variables......

I have a 401k through my employer but I'm becoming more and more interested in common stocks so I am looking into ways to start investing that route as well.

I've been reading up on some liquid natural gas companies that have me intrigued for growth and profit potential.

Can you invest in stocks with an IRA or are they mutual funds?

Any ideas or recommendations to begin investing with minimal starting funds?

Thanks again

Thanks ill check out napfa.org

I read about ten books to learn. The net is that you need to choose a process or system that you are comfortable with. Good luck

In the gold rush days, most prospectors went broke, and a few got wealthy. The guys who sold picks and shovels to the prospectors made nice steady profits.

One way to participate in the biotech industry with less risk (and admittedly less potential upside) is to figure out what kinds of "picks and shovels" the biotech researchers need and invest in the companies that make them.

Takes some time and effort to figure out what the best new types of shovels will be, and it's certainly no sure thing, but it's less risky than trying to figure out (guess?) what clinical trials will be successful.

But even this somewhat less risky approach should not be used if you aren't willing to do some investigation first.

Yep , I went that route t and bought Juniper, Inktomi, Sideware Systems etc...they were all great tax writeoffs.

Also, you're picking yesterday's winners. Not that choosing from within last year's hot sector is necessarily wrong but its something to be aware of. Studies have shown (don't ask me which), that looking at last year's loser is a good area to choose from if you're into that whole mean reversion thing.

Agree, and I did not pick them this year, but last year

MNKD up 17% this morning

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who took my advice when I posted this would be up 44% as of today. :w00t: If you didn't :wallbash:

And you barely know why.

Since you're taking a victory lap, care to share your sell target and approximate timing?

Edited by Jauronimo

Anyone who took my advice when I posted this would be up 44% as of today. :w00t: If you didn't :wallbash:

And meanwhile, my bank account remains fixed where I can make sure it is safe until such time as I want to invest in a strong company with a history of earnings and may even pay a dividend. I'm happy for you, but have suffered my share of losses (and quick gains) to know they are not standard practice.

I have a 401k through my employer but I'm becoming more and more interested in common stocks so I am looking into ways to start investing that route as well.

I've been reading up on some liquid natural gas companies that have me intrigued for growth and profit potential.

Can you invest in stocks with an IRA or are they mutual funds?

Any ideas or recommendations to begin investing with minimal starting funds?

Thanks again

Thanks ill check out napfa.org

Here is what I did:

I read several books across several styles or methods of investing.

I selected one and I am not going to bias you by saying which as the point is you have to be comfortable with it.

I vowed to learn as much as I reasonably could before investing real money.

I kept notes.

I took a portion of my investable money and began investing.

My experience tells me that the first thing to learn is that no choice is a good one nor a bad one - sometimes picking a good stock at the wrong time is just as off for example as picking a poorly performing stock to begin with.

The point of the above is you need some method to take emotion out of the equation and have a process you follow

In the end you just need to keep yourself honest about what you do.

Here is what I did:

I read several books across several styles or methods of investing.

I selected one and I am not going to bias you by saying which as the point is you have to be comfortable with it.

I vowed to learn as much as I reasonably could before investing real money.

I kept notes.

I took a portion of my investable money and began investing.

My experience tells me that the first thing to learn is that no choice is a good one nor a bad one - sometimes picking a good stock at the wrong time is just as off for example as picking a poorly performing stock to begin with.

The point of the above is you need some method to take emotion out of the equation and have a process you follow

In the end you just need to keep yourself honest about what you do.

The best economists in the world can't time the market worth a damn so I won't even try. Graham, and his most famous disciple Buffet, will tell you that theres no reason to worry about market movements if you've picked the right stocks.

Aside from a few event driven strategies, pretty much the only way to consistently make money on the market is through value investing in my opinion. Basically trying to buy $5 for $3. Identifying value plays and determining intrinsic value are easier said than done, however, and even then you have to hope the market figures out what you already know (which always begs the question "how is a lowly puke like me one of the lucky few thats aware of this supposed 'opportunity'?").

If you've read any Graham, Buffet or Klarman, margin of safety is a term you've undoubtedly seen repeatedly, and for good reason. Margin of safety is the crux of value of investing. If not and you're interested, take a look at Graham's NCAV screening tool and read up on the historical results. For an accessible discussion on event driven plays I mentioned before, checkout Greenblatt's book You Can Be A Stock Market Genius, if you haven't already. Horrible title, great book. Especially the chapter devoted to spinoffs.

http://www.grahaminvestor.com/articles/how-to/finding-undervalued-stocks-the-grahams-number-technique/

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0684840073

The best economists in the world can't time the market worth a damn so I won't even try. Graham, and his most famous disciple Buffet, will tell you that theres no reason to worry about market movements if you've picked the right

Here's the rub with investing advice. I never said to "time the market." I did say that there can be a right time and a wrong time to buy (or sell) a stock. Even in the value investing concept put forth by Buffet and his disciples he does not suggest a buy and hold forever concept. He also does indicate there is an appropriate time and relative price range to buy.

Go back to what I said ... Learn a system or process that you are comfortable with. The point is to take the emotion out of decisions and to base them on facts.

Some systems do play market momentum others suggest this is not critical.

I was careful not to support one over another because at the end of the day you as the investor have to determine what you are most comfortable with and why.