Miami writer: Stevie Johnson's a No. 2

Forgive me if this has already been posted -- it's a day old.

This blog post by the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero caught my eye. It's about the Dolphins believing they now have the division's best receivers. And it contained this tidbit:

"The Bills have Stevie Johnson, a very good No. 2 wide receiver, but they don't have a lot after him and, by the way, they think Johnson is a No. 1."

Common eye-roll troll, but another perspective nonetheless.

Link

Edited by GOBILLS78

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it comical that he's not considered a number 1. It sounds like some of the posters here that claim he's not a number 1 because he doesn't put up Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson numbers.

Andre Reed was a number 1, he should be in the HOF and Stevie is quickly entrenching himself as possibly the best Bills receiver in history. When all is said and done, I have no doubts he will be.

I'd agree with their take, so I'm not sure why you think it's trolling...he's been the tallest guy in the Land of Lilliput during an era when the passing game is featured, no matter who is playing QB.

Number One wideouts are much more in the "difference maker" category, IMO, than what Johnson has provided so far to the Bills, despite the back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons...

Edited by Lurker

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Andre Reed was a number 1, he should be in the HOF and Stevie is quickly entrenching himself as possibly the best Bills receiver in history. When all is said and done, I have no doubts he will be.

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Forgive me if this has already been posted -- it's a day old.

This blog post by the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero caught my eye. It's about the Dolphins believing they now have the division's best receivers. And it contained this tidbit:

"The Bills have Stevie Johnson, a very good No. 2 wide receiver, but they don't have a lot after him and, by the way, they think Johnson is a No. 1."

Link

The truth hurts.

13 is great here...I just wonder if he would be a # 1 on other teams...if he turns out to be Reed 2.0 I will be thrilled...but I kinda agree with the article...I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong...

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Lofton is a HOFer, so that's one, Reed had a similar game to Stevie and was a RAC. I put Stevie at neither player's level YET. But if he keeps improving and starts making some of the clutch plays he's been missing on.... Who knows?

Edit: I'll add that he could be one of the bigger question marks in the new offense. West coast offense emphasizes disciplined route running and Marrone is all about speed. These are both things Stevie is not known for, and in particular the unorthodox route running has been cited as his key asset. If the new o clamps down on that, he might see a serious drop off in his production.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

i already said that Reed should be a HOFer, and Lofting we already know is a HOFer. So if he's behind them I don't worry so much.

If you really think Beebe is better than Stevie Johnson then you are on a whole different level of crazy and I don't know why I even bother arguing this with you.

oh please, i love how everyone is always so down on the Pats before the season starts then they jump on their bandwagon once they start dominating yet again. losing Welker hurts but if you think Miami is going to have a better passing attack then NE then you are crazy. I don't care how their receivers look on paper, you have to be able to get them the ball. and Miami has to have good receivers because they don't have a RB. Meanwhile, we have the 2 best but you saw how far that got us the past few years. You don't see us bragging in the tabloids about it

I'm kind of conflicted, because I think they have a point but I don't want to detract from SJ.

An alternate view: Was Wes Welker a #1 receiver for the Patriots? By the obvious logic of how he plays, no, you don't want to line him up on the outside. He's a slot player. Of course, for the last few years the man has been putting up tremendous numbers and was the Patriot's best weapon.

I see Stevie the same way. He might not fit the classic #1 mold, but his incredible shiftiness let him be the one guy who Revis couldn't automatically shut down. If two prototypical receivers were to be the #1 and 2 (say Woods and Rodgers for example) Stevie might be able to go crazy.

Lofton is a HOFer, so that's one, Reed had a similar game to Stevie and was a RAC. I put Stevie at neither player's level YET. But if he keeps improving and starts making some of the clutch plays he's been missing on.... Who knows?

added to this, I also said he was entrenching his way to the best Buffalo WR. Doesn't mean he is YET. But he's working that way.

And is also like to add the very few years that Lofton played here kind of takes him down a notch. He also retired a Packer Didnt he?

The "by the way" bit just seems trollish. I didn't agree or disagree with the post.

OBD may or may not think he's a one...but he's being paid like a #1, so Salguero (who's a pretty good writer with a long track record of covering the Fins) can take a bit of the low road, I suppose.

The fact the front office has from time to time talked about the slot being Johnson's best position suggests they don't necessarily think he's a one, either...

Anyone that says this simply doesn't know what they're watching (if they're watching at all). Pure and simple facts:

- Johnson has put up top 20 #s in the last 3 seasons with below-average QB play (in fact, in 2010, he was 11th in the league in both receptions and yards)

- Johnson is one of the only WRs in the game to get the best of guys like Revis (on more than one occasion) and Sherman

- Johnson is widely-considered one of--if not the--premier route-runners in the game today

Now, please feel free to provide any and all evidence that says he's not a #1 WR...

I don't put Loften there either because of the short tenure. I certainly think Eric Moulds was better than what Stevie has done so far. Moulds was that typical #1 beast type of WR and the next best after Reed for me. I'm a fan of SJ for sure, and if he puts up 5 or 6 more good years than he can be in the discussion with Reed and Moulds.

OBD may or may not think he's a one...but he's being paid like a #1, so Salguero (who's a pretty good writer with a long track record of covering the Fins) can take a bit of the low road, I suppose.

The fact the front office has from time to time talked about the slot being Johnson's best position suggests they don't necessarily think he's a one, either...

Good point. I guess part of the problem is that no two people have the same definition of what a No. 1 is. Is it production? Salary? Position? Leadership qualities?

For example, Steve Smith, Stevie Johnson and Victor Cruz are on your team. Who's the No. 1? They're basically all the same second-level receiver, in terms of stats. But they're all good. I'd consider them all No. 1s. But then you see the Falcons, who have three receivers who have Johnson's receptions or higher. Julio Jones would be the Bills' No. 1, without question, it seems.

Not at all... Steve Smith in Carolina is a prototype slot guy and the undisputed no1 in Carolina for eons. Same goes for A Reed then and Wes welker more recently at least with the pats the past several seasins.