Ronde Barber Retires (L Fletcher related)

Worst Bills decision to let a player leave in recent years: Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, or Ted Washington?

My ranking:

Worst

Pat Williams

Winfield

Ted Washington

Greer

Fletcher

Levitre

Least worst

Worst Bills decision to let a player leave in recent years: Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, or Ted Washington?

winfield has to be getting pretty close to the oldest, and when pat retired he was the oldest D player in the league. 3 out of your 4 might take that honor for a season by the time they all finish.... which is absolutely crazy.

Jabari Greer

ive been back and forth on him... his first year in new orleans was great but hes struggled with injuries that have left him really inconsistent when he is on the field. the occasions he is healthy hes great (and was cheap) but hes starting to wear thin on the saints fans

joe klopfenstein, joe klopfenstein, joe klopfenstein, joe klopfenstein, joe klopfenstein. We got rid of him at least 4-5 times.

My ranking:

Worst

Pat Williams

Winfield

Ted Washington

Greer

Fletcher

Levitre

Least worst

Agreed 100% that Pat Williams is #1 and Winfield is #2 but I would put Fletcher 3rd. We got Ted Washington in his prime and let him go on the wrong side of 30. Yes he had some productive years after Buffalo but I wouldn't put that one on the front office. The jury is still way out on Levitre. If he becomes a perennial pro-bowler and our o-line struggles without him, you may have to rethink that one. But I think we'd agree that Pat Williams was the most egregious case of not re-signing a guy we should have, considering all the factors involved.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agreed 100% that Pat Williams is #1 and Winfield is #2 but I would put Fletcher 3rd. We got Ted Washington in his prime and let him go on the wrong side of 30. Yes he had some productive years after Buffalo but I wouldn't put that one on the front office. The jury is still way out on Levitre. If he becomes a perennial pro-bowler and our o-line struggles without him, you may have to rethink that one. But I think we'd agree that Pat Williams was the most egregious case of not re-signing a guy we should have, considering all the factors involved.

Just an FYI - Ted and pat were the same age when they walked. Fletcher was only one year younger. Somehow the undersized MLB and oversized DT became ageless wonders

Ted Washington and it's not even close. The 3-4 defense had become the identity of the Bills. In terms of personnel moves, that was the first truly perilous move post Butler that ended up setting the tone for the next 13 identity-free years.

Williams second because Sam Adams was lost without him and the run defense returned to pre-Adams form. That loss also eventually caused the disastrous John McCargo move.

Fletcher and Clements tied for third. After Dick Jauron's first season in Buffalo the Bills went into the offseason as a team on the rise.......but that was all lost when they lost those two. The defense had been ball-hawking and without that Jauron-ball had no hope of clearing the .500 mark. Losing them also lead to wasting early round picks on Poz and Leodis. Fletcher alone wouldn't rank as high. He should have been retained but people forget he and Pat Williams anchoring a defense that gave up 500 yards rushing in two games to Ricky Williams one season...and Fletch talking post game about how the run defense was good except for the 3-4 60 yard runs they allowed that day. :doh: Clements gets no credit from the haters but he was still a starting cb for a playoff team last year. I always assumed he would go to safety much sooner because he is a big physical corner with ball skills but the man still had value at corner.

Lawyer Milloy. Milloy was fading but releasing him lead to the disastrous Donte Whitner selection. At that point the organization really became lost in the woods with no idea how to get out. If they hadn't had a self inflicted wound at safety maybe the crying needs at DT or QB would have been addressed by accident with Ngata or Cutler. Losing Milloy gave them an excuse to be stupid. Prior to that it always seemed like the team was a move or two away from getting their act together. Since then this team has really lost it's way. It not only misses the playoffs but routinely finishes last in the division(5 straight years). People who think the Bills are mired in mediocrity are incorrect. They are cellar dwellers. If Milloy had done more than be an adequate starter for the next few years this loss would be higher. It hurt.

Winfield might not even be on my top 10 list of the past 13 years. It would have been nice to still have him here but when he left they had Clements, McGee and Greer under contract. The league wasn't as pass happy as it is now and the Bills had a lot of good CB's and Donahoe appeared to be good at finding them mid to late in the draft. All were younger and all had better ball skills. His departure was understandable. He and Pat Williams were better players in Minnesota, which may have been the organziation but also raises the question of PED's because of Williams getting busted for HGH. AW's loss didn't directly lead to other bad moves.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

ive been back and forth on him... his first year in new orleans was great but hes struggled with injuries that have left him really inconsistent when he is on the field. the occasions he is healthy hes great (and was cheap) but hes starting to wear thin on the saints fans

Sounds a lot like his other half, McGee.

You guys aren't even close.. it's Dick LeBeau.

Good point.

Pat Williams by far. He wanted to be here and Donahoe thought he could be replaced with Ron Edwards. This set the franchise back years. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: