Leaders on Defense

Every defense needs players that are willing to step up and lead the rest, oftentimes in a vocal manner. Last year our two captains on d were George Wilson and Kyle Williams who did a good job of that. I'd also throw Barnett in as a good and vocal leader.

Well this offseason we lost both Wilson and Barnett so my question is who do you think will step up this year as leaders on the defensive side of the ball, other than Kyle Williams of course who I feel does a great job. Personally, I'd really like Mario to try to be more vocal, but honestly he doesn't seem cut out for that role. Any thoughts??

Hahaha. McKelvin, right? Is he still on this team?

Hahaha you bet. Legendary performance.

Damond Talbot just gave a GLOWING endorsement for Keith Pugh in this regard...

(On Coach Sal's podcast)

Edited by taC giB ehT

Byrd, and Kyle

From what I have heard about Byrd he is a bit of a diva. He is more focused on his personal career and not jeopardizing it. I heard stories about how he would miss practices and such even when cleared by the doctors. His dad would plant seeds in his head that he needed MRIs when he wasn't even hurt. It was kinda like a Derrick Rose situation without missing the games.

I love the guy as a player but I am not sure at this point in his career he is the perfect leader.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Sheppard is gone, so he is a no. Wilson, gone. Barnett, gone. Poz, is gone. Cornelius Bennet is gone...

Byrd is no, Dareus is no, Gilmore, no. Mario Williams, no.

Kyle Williams a leader by example. McKelvin is spirit leader - cheerleader. Kiko is too young and has a funny name so no one will listen. Our leader is going to have to emerge from within - Searcy? A.Williams?

From Merriam-Websters

: a person who leads: as

a : guide, conductor

b (1) : a person who directs a military force or unit (2) : a person who has commanding authority or influence

c (1) : the principal officer of a British political party (2) : a party member chosen to manage party activities in a legislative body (3) : such a party member presiding over the whole legislative body when the party constitutes a majority

d (1) : conductor c (2) : a first or principal performer of a group

None of our guys are Brits, and I am pretty sure none are going to be pulling a Patton type position in the military. Bryan Scott may be quite musical but we need a defense.

1 : someone or something that leads others: such as a : someone who guides other people

c : a powerful person who controls or influe

d : a person, group, or organization that is the best or most successful in some activitynces what other people do : a person who leads a group, organization, country, etc.

That is more like it. So, I have to think that it could be coming from someone who has had a spotlight on them and has carried weight before. Bradham? Lawson? I even think Bryan Scott could be a leader in his lead by example like position he has already.

From what I have heard about Byrd he is a bit of a diva. He is more focused on his personal career and not jeopardizing it. I heard stories about how he would miss practices and such even when cleared by the doctors. His dad would plant seeds in his head that he needed MRIs when he wasn't even hurt. It was kinda like a Derrick Rose situation without missing the games.

I love the guy as a player but I am not sure at this point in his career he is the perfect leader.

Source? I get what you've heard, but what was the source? I mean, it cannot just come from no where?

Sheppard is gone, so he is a no. Wilson, gone. Barnett, gone. Poz, is gone. Cornelius Bennet is gone...

Byrd is no, Dareus is no, Gilmore, no. Mario Williams, no.

Kyle Williams a leader by example. McKelvin is spirit leader - cheerleader. Kiko is too young and has a funny name so no one will listen. Our leader is going to have to emerge from within - Searcy? A.Williams?

From Merriam-Websters

None of our guys are Brits, and I am pretty sure none are going to be pulling a Patton type position in the military. Bryan Scott may be quite musical but we need a defense.

That is more like it. So, I have to think that it could be coming from someone who has had a spotlight on them and has carried weight before. Bradham? Lawson? I even think Bryan Scott could be a leader in his lead by example like position he has already.

Source? I get what you've heard, but what was the source? I mean, it cannot just come from no where?

I can't really give it but I think that they have proven to be reliable. He gave me schedule leaks, Kevin Kolb two days before anyone reported it...he told me this about Byrd during last season before the franchise tag.

This is a very interesting topic and a valid concern. I really don't know who will be leaders. I think Byrd, Gillmore, and Mario will lead with their play but don't stike me as vocal leaders. Typically you look to your middle LB's so here's hoping Bradham's got it in him. My guess is Pettine will coach someone through a leadership role unless he gets the opportunity to bring someone in. Looking at Kiko's play he seems like a spark plug type player and is probably the future leader.

I can't really give it but I think that they have proven to be reliable. He gave me schedule leaks, Kevin Kolb two days before anyone reported it...he told me this about Byrd during last season before the franchise tag.

Incarcerated Bob? :nana:

Kyle Williams for sure and Marcel tried two years ago. I'm sure he has his head on straight after dealing with his loss. I can see Bradham emerging and really like his as a late round pick. Watch with him going back to his natural position as the Wil, will result in increased impact.

I can't wait. I really think we will have an impactful defense. Now let's hope we just work out this contract for Byrd.

Here we go again.