Former Bills player Billy Shaw remembers AFL

For those of you that know me, part of the reason I became a Bills fan many moons ago is the eerie connection between Mississippi football players and the Bills. My friend Rick Cleveland, a great feature writer from the newspaper industry, is now in charge of the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and did a wonderful feature on former Bills offensive lineman Billy Shaw:

http://msfame.com/news-updates/billy-shaw-remembers-extols-the-old-afl/

Please share this on Twitter or Facebook if you enjoy it.

I grew up in the sixties and think the heydey team of 64-66 would have compared well with the Superbowl teams of the 90's. The front four of Sestak, McDole, Dunaway and Day was one of the all time great D-lines, and the linebackers of Stratton, Harry Jacobs and John Tracy were formidable. Butch Byrd and George Saimes formed the nucleus of the d-backs, but guys like Hagwood Clark and Booker Edgerson could play as well. The defense of the sixties was probably better than the defence of the 90's.

Kemp, Gilchrist, Shaw and Dubenion were all pro players on offense.

I grew up in the sixties and think the heydey team of 64-66 would have compared well with the Superbowl teams of the 90's. The front four of Sestak, McDole, Dunaway and Day was one of the all time great D-lines, and the linebackers of Stratton, Harry Jacobs and John Tracy were formidable. Butch Byrd and George Saimes formed the nucleus of the d-backs, but guys like Hagwood Clark and Booker Edgerson could play as well. The defense of the sixties was probably better than the defence of the 90's.

Kemp, Gilchrist, Shaw and Dubenion were all pro players on offense.

All that set at the ROCKPILE! GOOD TIMES!

Was on the field during the last game versus the lions. Got to hang out with former bills photographer. Love going to that shithole

Joel collier and gogo too

This is excellent! I had the opportunity to chat with Billy a few years back. he is this genuine at all times. Such a class act and ambassador for football and the Buffalo Bills.

The ONLY Pro Football HOFer to never play in the NFL.

My father was a founding member of the Buffalo Bills Boosters Club, Inc., so needless to say I got to a lot of games at the Rockpile. I only wish I was a little older, only so I could remember the first couple years better. I became a fan for life after shaking hands with Tom Day. I was about eleven. :D

i truly love reading about everyone's memories of the rockpile. so many, too numerous to mention, but wonder if anyone remembers that small band that used to play before the games? it was tucked in the corner where right field would be. it consisted of about 10 people, just was great background music.

Edited by dwight in philly

None of the Stadiums, but especuially the Rockpile, had much of a "sound system" in the 60's. The speakers were often out of sync, so you would get an annoying echo effect from the announcers. A Band was commonplace in the 60's, at least in the AFL.

They didn't march or move like the Colts or Redskins. They had a small platform in the corner, and that was it. We had a band and I remember bands at; Kansas City, the Jets, Denver and possibly Oakland.

nothing better than getting one of those skillet fried hot dogs and then going to the big mustard jars, the guys older than my generation would bring lotsa of beer in. it has been said that one group had a season ticket seat for a quarter keg . obviously never fly now, but certainly says alot for how times change.

nothing better than getting one of those skillet fried hot dogs and then going to the big mustard jars, the guys older than my generation would bring lotsa of beer in. it has been said that one group had a season ticket seat for a quarter keg . obviously never fly now, but certainly says alot for how times change.

That is why "times change." It fine when one or a few get away with something but, when the masses start doing whatever, it becomes a problem. I guess, like anything else, keep it out of the mainstream... What's the problem? When it becomes the rule and not the exception, that is when problems start. Same today as it was yesterday...