Trade a WR

Is that the consensus in your bathroom? Word is that Easley is finally right and he looks great. TJ Graham showed flashes in his rookie year. You're nuts if you think they'd jettison him a year after they picked him (ahead of Russell W.)

It's just not going to happen my friend.

Easley now looks great? Wow, this is the first thing I have read about it. Based on what? A non contact mini camp in 2013?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easley now looks great? Wow, this is the first thing I have read about it. Based on what? A non contact mini camp in 2013?

He's a size/speed guy who hasn't been healthy. Now he's healthy. I agree that he has little trade value, but, of course, you give him a shot. He gives them competition at the position. The idea of trading TJ Graham is just ridiculous.

I'd like to see us keep 6 good WRs so we can line up 5 wide to spread the D and the 6th as a backup in case someone gets hurt.

we're keeping Brad Smith to keep him away from the Jets. the jets with Brad Smith make the playoffs - without him they fail misserably.

The biggest assumption of this whole thread is that Easley has ANY value to us

I can't speak for others on here, but I personally see Easley as someone who'd have little or no value in a trade. Basically, he's an unknown to the rest of the league. If we try to trade him, other GMs will think to themselves, What do the Bills know about Easley that we don't, that make them want to trade him away?

Easley may or may not have value to the Bills. We should have a much better sense of that by the end of the season than we do at the moment.

Graham, Smith, Easley ?- Would any of these guys have value? It seems like we have more than we can get reps in camp for.

Answer is probably no. None of them have draft choice value unless someone had them high on their board when they were drafted. Why trade for them when they are just as likely to be cut.

A week ago we had no WRs and now we have so many that we need to trade 1? Unless our #4/5 guy is so good that he could start on another team (Which I don’t believe they are) keep them all and let them compete. None of these guys really have any trade value right now other than SJ13. Maybe we could get a low pick for TJ but we surely won’t get back the 3rd we just spent on him, no one would touch Smith with that contract and Easley only has trade value here on TSW.

Typically we'd have around 10-12 WRs at the start of camp and that’s right about where we are. It should be a good camp battle. IMO SJ13, Graham, Woods & Goodwin are basically locks to make it. That leaves 1-2 spots for Smith, Easley, Rogers, Kaufman and the few others to compete for.

Keep the talent we have so when injuries hit, we’re not pulling guys off the street.

Completely agree. We will keep 5-6. I think we keep 6 this yr cuz of lack of TE's on team. Think we keep 2 TE and 6 WR this. I 100% agree with the 4 guys as locks, hope Smith gets cut. Just cant stand the guy. Even when he runs, he looks lazy and has bricks for hands. We have abundance of kick returners and Leotis is a star in that spot anyway. I hope Rodgers stays out of trouble and makes team cuz his talent is through the roof, hopefully he realizes what's at stake here for him, a JOB playing game u love and make TONS of money doing it... Even an entry level rookie contract is HUGE money for a kid right out of college with his back ground.. I was pulling for Easley pre-draft, but just dont see how he would fit into this kinda WR corps.. Think he will get lost in shuffle with no role and get the axe. The guy i'd love to see make it would be Hogan! after watching last years Hard knocks show... he would be good kid to have around. He is also a converted TE so size is there and is very fast. Could be a great special teamer or at worst, hopefully he makes it on PS

I'd prefer to have them all go into pre-season and fight it out. We keep the best, the rest gets cut. Let's get some solid depth at some positions for once.

Yep. As of last year, we had one proven, productive WR. There seems to be some potential this year but we need to see how it all shakes out before we trade someone. If any of them besides Stevie have trade value.

When you run an up-tempo offense, it's good to WR depth in case guys get winded.

Graham, Smith, Easley ?- Would any of these guys have value? It seems like we have more than we can get reps in camp for.

What do YOU think?

Points to ponder:

1) contract - how long are they signed for?

2) salary

3) what have they done on the field last year?

Graham: not much so far. 3rd round pick regarded as a reach. Route running mistakes and dropped balls. Fast, though no longer the fastest guy on our team.

Smith: $3.25M this year, $3.5M next year. 14 receptions for 152 yds last year, 23 receptions for 240 yds in 2011. 8th year in the league

Easley: 4th year in the league and has yet to play a snap in the regular season

So, if they were on another team, what trade value would you think they'd have to us? What would you say if we traded for one of them?

You can listen to the team and be excitied about the new players aka drink the coolaid but i think you have been drinking way too much of it.

None of them have ANY trade value right now until they show that they can play at the NFL level - and then you want to keep them.

and that my friends is the trick. Evaluate them all , some again, with fresh eyes and then see who shines. Keep the best ones get the projects on the PS and then begin leveraging any thing that might be leveragable for a trade. Do all that successfully and the Bills just might have something.

as mentioned above. we shall see.

We shall see how smart these cookies are soon enough when the paring down pares down and the roster becomes the Roster.

Good question OP i like that you have the team's best interest at heart.

WR Coaches probably love having too many options to sort out before pre season ends.

go bills !

I know quite a few people dislike Smith around here but i wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for one more year. Really the only veteran besides SJ that will be competing for a starting job. With all the rookie WRs it might be worth having an older guy like Smith around, and he has been doing well in the off season practices from what i have heard/watched. He also has that versatility factor that the new staff is preaching. It would also be cool if they could have success working Kaufman in as a passing TE.

Smith fo what he has given should either be rated which should be the first option or cut to save cap room.

The return we got for the contract is not equal, plus if they keep him that means one of the younger guys will have to be let go & that is the same mistake Gailey & crew made with 2 draft picks last year .

Goodwin although fast in any articles i've read have said was very average, Easley should be given one last chance but not at the expense of losing Rogers .

But if we do what we did a few years back & keep was it 6 WR's they should be S, Johnson , Woods , Rogers , Graham , Kaufman , & Easley & put Goodwin as a returner & the 7th WR if needed

Edited by T master

Easley = zero value. will be cut this year.

Graham = zero value, might get cut.

Smith, might get you a 10th round pick..

the most remarkable thing here, this topic has lasted this long and now we're into the 3rd page :sick:

I can see the Bills cutting Easely if he doesnt perform in camp. As far as trading receivers, I think the Bills drafted all of these guys on purpose. Marrone plans on running more plays per game, and with all of the speedsters on our team now we can rotate in fresh legs while running deep patterns, and tire out the CBs on the opposition. These nfl corners are in peak physical performance but try keeping up with tj graham at top speed 40-50 yards down the field 2 plays in a row, then goodwin comes in fresh and runs top speed 2 plays in a row 40-50 yards down field. At that high speed, I dont care who you are, sprinting as fast as you can 40-50 yards down the field 4 plays in a row will cause some fatigue. If we get the matchup against the same corner each time, they guy will be sucking wind and will not be able to keep up. Thats just one scenario. But keeping fresh legs in throughout the game will have an advantage in itself.