Why isn't the Vikings a racist team name?

Are you serious with this? Cowboy and Viking are not derogatory names. Why don't we make an NFL team called the Chinatown Yellowskins. Maybe we can call another team the Saratoga Whities or the Harlem Blackskins. I hate racism and prejudice and there's no room for it anywhere.

There are other ways to name Indians other than "Redskins." I love to stir the pot on these forums but comments like this is ridiculous. I don't mind the Cleveland Indians, Florida State Seminoles, or the Chicago Blackhawks. But Redskins? Really? There are other ways around this than calling them by that.

Now we are going to start measuring the level of offense? Redskins is offensive to you. Vikings/Cowboys is offensive to someone else. So, where does it end. It never ends.

Very few people have had a problem with Redskins for 81 years. Thats their name so get over it. Lets lighten up here and save a tree.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are going to start measuring the level of offense? Redskins is offensive to you. Vikings/Cowboys is offensive to someone else. So, where does it end. It never ends.

Very few people have had a problem with Redskins for 81 years. Thats their name so get over it. Lets lighten up here and save a tree.

Since you aren't offended, F the people that it affects. Nice!!

I am offended by the buffalo bills. Ya my name isn't bill, but what about all those that are named bill. Why do they have to be the subject of a team that has been rebuilding for 13 years?

Since you aren't offended, F the people that it affects. Nice!!

I'm offended by the fact you don't know the difference between effects and affects.

Yes, F the people who are offended by stupid ****.

You miss the point entirely.

As someone who is 15 pounds overweight, I am offended by your use of lighten up.

I'm offended by the fact you don't know the difference between effects and affects.

Yes, F the people who are offended by stupid ****.

You miss the point entirely.

I know the difference. Do I care what you're offended by....No! If it doesn't pertain to me, F anyone else. Not exactly shocking these days.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think this is kind of silly. The reason "Viking" and "cowboy" aren't racist terms is because neither is a race. Native American is a race and "redskin" is a derogatory term for a Native American dating back to colonial times. Vikings weren't a race, they were Norwegian mostly and Scandinavian primarily. Or simply put...white.

Really, figure out what race actually is and then decide. Cowboy is a race? Really? Please...races even have their own issues of clarification. For example African-American doesn't mean black...it means Americans whose ancestral lineage derives from Africa. There are white African-Americans and black Hispanics. People need to become knowledgeable of these cultural differences before crying that cowboy and Viking are racist...

I think this is kind of silly. The reason "Viking" and "cowboy" aren't racist terms is because neither is a race. Native American is a race and "redskin" is a derogatory term for a Native American dating back to colonial times. Vikings weren't a race, they were Norwegian mostly and Scandinavian primarily. Or simply put...white.

Really, figure out what race actually is and then decide. Cowboy is a race? Really? Please...races even have their own issues of clarification. For example African-American doesn't mean black...it means Americans whose ancestral lineage derives from Africa. There are white African-Americans and black Hispanics. People need to become knowledgeable of these cultural differences before crying that cowboy and Viking are racist...

Very well articulated. Kudos to you for a salient and sensible point in a thread full of silliness.

This really should be the last post of the thread.

Cowboys and Indians, hmmm