Official John Murphy Show Thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few interesting facts about Kiko Alonso that people should know to help understand him.

In spite of going to high school in the very affluent town of Los Gatos, CA, Kiko is the child of immigrant parents.

His father is a Cuban who lived in Puerto Rico and his mother is from Columbia.

As such he grew up in a house where neither parent was a native english speaker.

His real name is Kristian, a name that made him the subject of lots of teasing growing up.

People who've had life experiences like this would understand why Kiko might have had some issues growing up, not to mention his less-than-stellar speaking ability.

Thanks Kiko, if only you could speak as well as you write.

ajzepp - thanks for starting this, I had almost started this one a few times!

The John Murphy Show is a MUST listen for any Bills fans - you'll get more insight into the team from one show that a week of reading articles (especially when Nix, Brandon or Marrone are on)!

Definitely! I love how more and more of us have been discussing the show, so just makes sense to have it all in one thread so it's easier to keep track of. The thing I love about John is that he's not only a great interviewer, but he's also a fan. You can tell how much he loves the city and the team, and he is great about asking about the stuff that we want to know more about. He does a great job of being professional and candid, which is sometimes lost on some radio show hosts.

You nailed it when you said that you can get a full dose of info from just one show...I love how he starts things off getting us caught up on not just Bills news, but also any other notable stories from around the NFL, before he starts into the main segments of the show.

EDIT: By the way, I thought the interview with Marquis Goodwin was really good last night. Marquis sounds like a guy who is supremely motivated to succeed at the next level and he is all business. He brings more to the table in terms of his skillset than I thought, too. This is a player to watch. It was also really interesting when John was discussing Marv Levy's view that it's not the rooks but the 2nd year guys who really make or break the progress of the team. He involved the callers in a discussion of which 2nd year players are ready to take the next step in their development and become solid starters. Potentially, last year was a very solid draft class. John loves the idea of Bradham stepping up and building off of the experience he gained last season, but several others were mentioned, as well...Brooks, Gilmore, TJ, and Cordy Glenn, specifically. I think someone also mentioned Zebrie Sanders, who is going to be on the show tonight (pretty sure, anyway)

Have you ever spent some time in the Bills parking lots prior to the games, not a lot of eloquent speech going on yet somehow we want our LB to be James Earl Jones?

Darth Vader as our MLB? Git'r'done!

Edited by ajzepp

I love Murph, and the show. But, I do just have one thing to complain about, and that he was putting way too positive of a spin on things throughout the season............I know he gets paid by the Bills, not GR, so I don't know if they make him have a positive spin or he perceives they he has to..............I know he's smart enough not to believe some of the rose colored glasses things that he was saying.

I love Murph, and the show. But, I do just have one thing to complain about, and that he was putting way too positive of a spin on things throughout the season............I know he gets paid by the Bills, not GR, so I don't know if they make him have a positive spin or he perceives they he has to..............I know he's smart enough not to believe some of the rose colored glasses things that he was saying.

I sorta know what you mean. I distinctly remember him taking the approach of, "well, technically we're not out of it yet...the Bills could still turn it around and make the playoffs!" It was a little annoying when he departed from reality, but overall I think he's good about keeping it real.

Missed Murph tonight, but Sal did a good job with Marlon Kerner.

I sorta know what you mean. I distinctly remember him taking the approach of, "well, technically we're not out of it yet...the Bills could still turn it around and make the playoffs!" It was a little annoying when he departed from reality, but overall I think he's good about keeping it real.

Missed Murph tonight, but Sal did a good job with Marlon Kerner.

I remember that exact thing, and him being optimistic about Fitz when we can all see that his arm is just shot.

I'll have to subscribe on itunes or get the Bills app so I can listen to more content. Murph did a real good job on the draft, I thought, along with Joe Buscalglia, who seems to work really hard.

I remember that exact thing, and him being optimistic about Fitz when we can all see that his arm is just shot.

I'll have to subscribe on itunes or get the Bills app so I can listen to more content. Murph did a real good job on the draft, I thought, along with Joe Buscalglia, who seems to work really hard.

I agree, the draft coverage was fantastic, as was the post-draft interviews and analysis. It's been great getting to know some of these rooks, as well as what others thought of the draft. It's resulted in my rooting for EJ more than I figured I would be so early on. JP let me down, cause I was pretty psyched when he took so well to the city, so Im hoping EJ is the real deal.

Another great way to hear the show is on the here: http://tunein.com/ I use this app more than anything else on my phone. Just about any radio station or podcast you could want from anywhere in the world. They even have some higher quality music streams up to 320kbps if that's of any interest. I spend hours a day listening to Adam Corolla, Murph, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, etc, etc.

I think perhaps Kiko just needs to get an iPhone instead of that 2001 Nokia he is using.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've worked with people both from Colombia and Cuba who were not native English speakers. It took some time to anticipate the prosody of their English before I could understand them without difficulty. That being said, I would be lost conversing with them on a cell phone, especially if that phone was then being broadcast over a radio.

For those saying he sounded drunk or high, IMO the only reason you're saying that is because his mistakes are public knowledge. Stop over analyzing everything. An alternative and just as unfounded explanation could be that if he's even a little self conscious about his speech, knowing that his phone conversation was being broadcast over the radio could have led to him to speak awkwardly with the same effect. Not everyone is as eloquent as y'all under duress.

Edited by transient

For those saying he sounded drunk or high, IMO the only reason you're saying that is because his mistakes are public knowledge.

mmmmm no. It's because he actually DID sound like he tied on a few to my ears. After seeing other interviews with him, though, it looks as though that's just how he speaks. As others said, hopefully it's just a guy living the college life and making a mistake and there isn't anything to worry about going forward. We need a guy like this to bring some grit and attitude to our LB corp, so if Buddy and Coach are comfortable with him, that's good enough for me.

To me, Joe Buscaglia is GR's "unsung hero"! It seems people normally come here only to rip on the GR personalities (some of it warranted), so I think it is important to recognize the guys who do a good job, as well...I am certain they read these forums.

I don't get to hear a lot of Murphys' complete shows, but I do access segments on the "audio vault" frequently. I always like interviews with former players...particularly some of the more obscure guys (like Marlon Kerner). From what I have heard, Murphy does a great job with these segments. I wish they would do more of that kind of thing on the Sabres show in the morning, which I can normally listen to live. Guests are crucial...IMO.

He also has a DUI and an alcohol-related theft charge, so he's going to be under a bit of a microscope until he puts some distance in there. My roommate is Cuban and I live in an area where I often communicate with non-English speaking Hispanics. It didn't come off as if he lacked command of the English language...it came off like he was feeling good. I hope that WASN'T the case, cause we need this guy to keep his head clean and produce on the field.

To be fair to Kiko, I don't believe his charge was "theft". It was "breaking and entering", from being found passed out on a neighbor's couch after a wild party. It ain't good to drink so much you can't figure out where you've been, and the earlier DUI wasn't good. According to Kiko's report that incident led him to just stop drinking. He says he's not going to do anything to jeopardize his football career and he sounds like he means it.

I also have to say I think there are a lot of those incidents in colleges across the country and the outcome depends upon location and timing - the personality of the neighbors and what else has been going on recently. Not to provide TMI about the Hopeful neighborhood, we have had neighbors who may have thrown the wild party at times, there is ready access between their yard and ours, and if I found one of their guests passed out on my property I would likely call 911 and report it as "possible alcohol poisoning needing medical evaluation" not call the cops and report it as "breaking and entering" much less press charges.

But we have good relationships with our neighbors and if we need something (like no wild parties while we're sleep deprived with an infant) they oblige. If there had been a history of the neighbors' saying "hey, this is a bit over the top, can you tone it down?" and being blown off, or sustaining property damage, or having nutsoid parties next door going on every weekend, it's understandable those neighbors would react differently to a passed-out college boy on their couch, especially if he damaged property (broke in) to get there.

Here's a link to the audio segments on the WGR website if anyone wants to listen on demand: http://audio.wgr550....murphy-show.htm

That was not the greatest telephone connection. I don't see what all the fuss is about though. :flirt: I could understand him relatively easily.

If I were guessing based on that interview and didn't know otherwise, I would say he was a black football player. A lot of people pick up accents and speech patterns easily, and this guy's been rooming 4 years with Dion Jordan and practicing every day with predominantly black football players: not a big surprise if he's one of those people who picks up speech patterns. It was relatively subtle, and it didn't sound put-on in any way. And of course, many black football players articulate clearly using standard American English.

I was more concerned after listening to

, which is not troubled by a poor audio connection. Hearing loss affecting his speech? Injury to his lower jaw or affecting his tongue? Or may be funny business, too much pain killer :cry: . It seems to be an interview for the college TV station, so if it was after a contact practice or game, pain killers are part of the territory. Again, he sounded like a black football player at times . 1:19 in the above link: "Ima go dis way". I didn't have any trouble understanding him, though. He also didn't come across as someone comfortable in interviews.

One thing that comes across clearly is that this is a guy who LOOOOOVES to play football. "I like doing what I do" "It's just fun" "after football, baseball was boring - no contact"

Edited by Hopeful