Is San Diego SCREWED?

stevestojan

Ok, so right now, it seems the only logical thing SD can do is throw the franchise tag of Drew Brees. So, if they do that, the average of the top 5 QBs in the league is about $9million. Then, you have to contend with paying Rivers still. I believe he was signed to 6 years at $40 million. So, assuming that is divided evenly over the life of the contract, next year, that's $6.6 million. So, you have $15 in QB alone.

Now, factor in that they will have to pay a 1st rounder (their regular old 1st round pick, most likely in the bottom 10, but still 1st round money).

THEN, they will have yet ANOTHER 1st rounder from the Giants.

That's paying Bress $9m, Rivers $6.6m, and two first rounders.

Now, let's say they decide to just trade Rivers. What will they get for him? A 1st rounder.

In that case, they will be paying Brees his $9m, and then THREE brand new 1st rounders?

Man, how long until San Diego is in the pits of salary cap hell?

In that case, they will be paying Brees his $9m, and then THREE brand new 1st rounders?

Man, how long until San Diego is in the pits of salary cap hell?

200170[/snapback]

Well, we don't know their cap situation for this year, but if they trade Rivers, my understanding is they take a big hit. They could also load up on draft picks for next year, which might be wise as this is not exactly shaping up to be a world-beater draft, anyway. It doesn't seem to me that they'll be hurting as much as you think, though they do have some funny money situations to deal with.

Either way, they have the QB they believe in. I think a franchise-trade of Brees might not be such a bad idea. Remember they were thinking about dumping him last year, for a third, maybe a second-rounder. Now they are sitting on a pot of gold in comparison.

Quite a problem to have--they should trade Rivers. At least they know Brees can play in the NFL. Rivers hasn't proved a thing. Watch them get rid of Brees, Rivers come in and be awful for the next three years and the Chargers go back to sucking for a decade again. Well they had their one good season for the decade.

If I remember correctly I believe SD is $20 million uder the cap next year, so they do have some options. Rivers won't be traded because the cap hit would be huge. It would seem more likely to put the franchise tag on Brees and entertain some offers.

San Diego can't trade Brees after what he did this year, and you can't get rid of Rivers after Brees played well for just one year. They are stuck with both for next year. You would also figure they have to lock up Gates long-term. I see them trading at least one of their 1st round picks. The more I think of it, we should really franchise Jennings and get something for him. Maybe a team like San Diego or even Dallas wants to unload one of their 1st round picks and becomes smitten with Jonas. Jonas is really the best young LT available this year. It would a shame lose him for nothing.

San Diego can always package picks to move up or down, or to offload picks to future years. I wouldn't wory about them, it's hardly a huge problem. New England has shown that you can stockpile lots of top picks and still make out okay.

I'm sure plenty of teams will trade a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders for this coming draft and 1sts and 2nds from future drafts for one or more of their 1st round picks.

I think the Chargers should trade a 1st rounder for future picks...maybe a 2nd next year, a 2nd this year etc..and stockpile for cheaper contracts....New England did that a lot recently correct?

200181[/snapback]

Or franchise Brees and trade him for a next year 1st rounder. This could

be enticing for a team like the Cowboys because they will get Brees and also

still keep their 2 #1s with with Parcells can build his team...

Remember it was Bill Parcells who had those 4 #1s for the Jets and those

4 are still playing exteremely good ball for the Jets today.

the cap hit to deal rivers is only 6.5 million IF they do it before his early march roster bonus......the entire signing bonus was not paid up front and that gives them a window to get a deal done..........6.5 million is only about 3.5 million more then his scheduled cap charge for next year, so it's very manageable........

no way you keep brees. he had a very good year. that's fine. who knows why he was able to turn it around, but that doesn't mean he's started a path to the hall of fame. the guy has been awful to mediocre in the past and has had one good year. if gates and LT weren't on that team i wonder how good he really would have been.

sign and trade him is the way to go. there are lots of teams in the market for a young, "proven" qb. his value will never be higher and they already invested in rivers. brees playing well should do nothing but give them more in return for him. they could end up with three 1st rounders ths year. if they grab a WR mike williams and add some OL help, rivers should be just fine.

if they resign him and keep him, what happens if he sucks it up again, they're f'd! if he plays well, they're still f'd (due to the payroll for 2 qbs)! if they get somethin in return and strengthen other areas of weakness, they're golden.

I think the Chargers should trade a 1st rounder for future picks...maybe a 2nd next year, a 2nd this year etc..and stockpile for cheaper contracts....New England did that a lot recently correct?

200181[/snapback]

You're thinking of when the Ravens traded for New England's first round (19th overall) pick in 2003 (to grab Kyle Boller). The Patriots ended up with the Ravens' 2003 second-round choice (41st overall) and the Ravens’ 2004 first round choice (Vince Wilfork). Of note the New England later dealt the 41st (Ben Joppru) overall pick along with the 75th overall (Seth Wand) choice to Houston for the 36th overall pick in 2003 (Eugene Wilson).

In terms of the Brees vs Rivers debate, I say stick with Brees because he is a known product and both QBs are young enough that you can build around either one. Though I don't see either one being an "elite" QB like Peyton Manning (who still needs to show more then a QB that can lead his team out of the 1st Round of the playoffs), Brett Favre, John Elway etc.