Final "Pacific Rim" Trailer

Mark Vader

Wow, I don't know what to make of that. Nice seeing Charlie Hunnam getting the lead, though. As frustrated as I've become with Sons of Anarchy the last season or two, he's always one of the bright spots in the cast/story. Looking forward to seeing if the early reviews match up with the epic scale of the CGI.

It looks Michael Bay-like loud and preposterous. Should make hundreds of millions.

I hope it's well done, del Toro's Hellboy is entertaining and Pan Labyrinth is a great film.

It does, only it's minus Michael Bay. :thumbsup:

Does it have a plot? That makes sense?

Earth creates a defense force of giant robots to fight kaiju monsters who are wreaking havoc and destruction on the cities of the world.

What more of a plot do you need?

I was just looking through the big budget movies for this Summer. Here is my prediction for flop/hit/even as relates to their cost to make.

Thor: Free Loki to help with bad guy--what could go wrong? FLOP

Fast and Furious 6: Can't ever get enough fury with my fastness. One of these nightmares finally FLOPs.

Star Trek: save budget money by turning off all the lights and making it less fun. Huge HIT.

Pacific Rim: Where giant robots use battleships as baseball bats. FLOP

Man of Steel: Because you can't reboot a franchise enough times. FLOP

After Earth: Will Smith gets to show off that he can run like an athlete, this time with his son. EVEN.

The Lone Ranger: Starring a pirate turned Native Ameri--oh screw it--Indian. FLOP

Oblivion: Maverick travels to Earth. EVEN.

Iron Man 3: More iron men but as always with sequels, more darkness. HIT

Despicable Me 2: Lemmings and more lemmings. Huge HIT

Monsters University: It's not fun, it's not funny. HIT

World War Z: Speedy zobmies: HIT

Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters: More of gods who text: EVEN

The Wolverine: Broadway meets cigar. EVEN

The Hangover Part III: Time for AA. EVEN...one too many trips to the well

The Great Gatsby: Jay Gatsby Moulin Rogue style: huge HIT.

Edited by John Adams

What do you think of "Pain or Gain" Mark. I saw it last weekend and kind of enjoyed it. Surprisingly

Don't have much of a desire to see it. Glad you enjoyed it. When it comes out on video maybe I'll check it out.

Don't have much of a desire to see it. Glad you enjoyed it. When it comes out on video maybe I'll check it out.

Either did I. For me it was Micheal Bay=Yawn. I was pleasantly surprised. I was even more surprised by The Rock. Wouldn't say he stole the show but he actually did a pretty decent job of acting! I like the guy from Monk as well but I forget his name. One of my favorite character actors (loved him in Barton Fink)

I was just looking through the big budget movies for this Summer. Here is my prediction for flop/hit/even as relates to their cost to make.

Thor: Free Loki to help with bad guy--what could go wrong? FLOP

Fast and Furious 6: Can't ever get enough fury with my fastness. One of these nightmares finally FLOPs.

Star Trek: save budget money by turning off all the lights and making it less fun. Huge HIT.

Pacific Rim: Where giant robots use battleships as baseball bats. FLOP

Man of Steel: Because you can't reboot a franchise enough times. FLOP

After Earth: Will Smith gets to show off that he can run like an athlete, this time with his son. EVEN.

The Lone Ranger: Starring a pirate turned Native Ameri--oh screw it--Indian. FLOP

Oblivion: Maverick travels to Earth. EVEN.

Iron Man 3: More iron men but as always with sequels, more darkness. HIT

Despicable Me 2: Lemmings and more lemmings. Huge HIT

Monsters University: It's not fun, it's not funny. HIT

World War Z: Speedy zobmies: HIT

Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters: More of gods who text: EVEN

The Wolverine: Broadway meets cigar. EVEN

The Hangover Part III: Time for AA. EVEN...one too many trips to the well

The Great Gatsby: Jay Gatsby Moulin Rogue style: huge HIT.

Thor: Not a summer movie, and everyone who saw The Avengers is even more interested in what the characters do on an individual basis. HIT

Fast & Furious 6: For some reason people love this stuff. I have never seen a single one of these movies. Adding Dwayne Johnson to this franchise was a great move, and there will be a 7th movie. HIT

Star Trek Into Darkness: Probably the most anticipated movie of the Summer. Huge HIT

Pacific Rim: Giant Robots Vs. Kaiju Monsters. Guaranteed lots of fun at the theatre. Biggest obstacle is female appeal. Bring on Godzilla in 2014. HIT

Man of Steel: Every trailer has been appealing. Zack Snyder's approach could very well be what this franchise needs. HIT

After Earth: Will Smith in an M.Night Shyamalan movie. Can it work? EVEN

The Lone Ranger: Disney has a lot of faith in giving this movie the 4th of July weekend. Depp & Bruckheimer & Verbinski have a proven track record. So it all comes down to Armie Hammer. FLOP

Iron Man 3: The first Avengers character film after "The Avengers". Big HIT

Despicable Me 2: Lots of fun characters return, but they'll have to be very creative to come up with another good story. EVEN

Monsters University: Trust in Disney/Pixar. But a prequel, not a sequel? HIT

World War Z: This movie has taken forever to get to the big screen. Brad Pitt, not the zombies, is the key to this film's success. EVEN

Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters: The first outing was decent and Logan Lerman still looks like a 12 year old. A summer release is questionable, even if it is August. EVEN

The Wolverine: Wolverine goes to Japan. What more needs to be said? HIT

The Hangover Part III: Even though Part II was basically the same movie as the first, it still did obscenely great business. A third outing may be pushing it though. EVEN

The Great Gatsby: Alternative summer fare with big name actors and a big budget. Does this movie really need to be in 3D? Will we get the Baz Luhrmann of "Moulin Rouge!" or "Australia"? EVEN

Here's more Summer fare.

Elysium: Director Neill Blomkamp's first movie since "District 9" has good star power and a relevant social issue for today's times. HIT

The Heat: Sandra Bullock & Melissa McCarthy team-up and exchange crude jokes at each other. HIT

White House Down: Another White House under attack movie, except Channing Tatum is the star, which makes female appeal skyrocket. EVEN

This Is The End: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Michael Cera, Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill, Emma Watson & Rihanna are all at a party as the apocalypse begins. Oh by the way, the actors play themselves. HIT

Kick-Ass 2: Jim Carrey steps in for Nicolas Cage, but can that help this sequel that nobody was asking for? FLOP

I'll take a different viewpoint and predict the Tomatometer. (Over 60% is "fresh"; under is "rotten", though I probably haven't gone to the theatre for a movie under 70%). Also, in parentheses, I note were I disagree on hit, even or flop.

Thor: Not a summer movie, and everyone who saw The Avengers is even more interested in what the characters do on an individual basis. HIT - 68%

Fast & Furious 6: For some reason people love this stuff. I have never seen a single one of these movies. Adding Dwayne Johnson to this franchise was a great move, and there will be a 7th movie. HIT - 52%

Star Trek Into Darkness: Probably the most anticipated movie of the Summer. Huge HIT - 87%

Pacific Rim: Giant Robots Vs. Kaiju Monsters. Guaranteed lots of fun at the theatre. Biggest obstacle is female appeal. Bring on Godzilla in 2014. HIT - 61%

Man of Steel: Every trailer has been appealing. Zack Snyder's approach could very well be what this franchise needs. HIT. 58%

After Earth: Will Smith in an M.Night Shyamalan movie. Can it work? EVEN. 62%

The Lone Ranger: Disney has a lot of faith in giving this movie the 4th of July weekend. Depp & Bruckheimer & Verbinski have a proven track record. So it all comes down to Armie Hammer. FLOP (even) - 71%

Iron Man 3: The first Avengers character film after "The Avengers". Big HIT - 79%

Despicable Me 2: Lots of fun characters return, but they'll have to be very creative to come up with another good story. EVEN - 72%

Monsters University: Trust in Disney/Pixar. But a prequel, not a sequel? HIT - 69%

World War Z: This movie has taken forever to get to the big screen. Brad Pitt, not the zombies, is the key to this film's success. EVEN (hit) - 78%

Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters: The first outing was decent and Logan Lerman still looks like a 12 year old. A summer release is questionable, even if it is August. EVEN - 60%

The Wolverine: Wolverine goes to Japan. What more needs to be said? HIT - 65%

The Hangover Part III: Even though Part II was basically the same movie as the first, it still did obscenely great business. A third outing may be pushing it though. EVEN - 58%

The Great Gatsby: Alternative summer fare with big name actors and a big budget. Does this movie really need to be in 3D? Will we get the Baz Luhrmann of "Moulin Rouge!" or "Australia"? EVEN (Hit) - 93%

Here's more Summer fare.

Elysium: Director Neill Blomkamp's first movie since "District 9" has good star power and a relevant social issue for today's times. HIT - 88%

The Heat: Sandra Bullock & Melissa McCarthy team-up and exchange crude jokes at each other. HIT (even) - 40%

White House Down: Another White House under attack movie, except Channing Tatum is the star, which makes female appeal skyrocket. EVEN - 60%

This Is The End: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Michael Cera, Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill, Emma Watson & Rihanna are all at a party as the apocalypse begins. Oh by the way, the actors play themselves. HIT (hardest one - either 40% or 83%)

Kick-Ass 2: Jim Carrey steps in for Nicolas Cage, but can that help this sequel that nobody was asking for? FLOP (even)

- 75%

World War Z: This movie has taken forever to get to the big screen. Brad Pitt, not the zombies, is the key to this film's success. EVEN

It took forever because you can't turn that book into a coherent movie script. You just can't. If the movie's any good, it'll have almost nothing to do with the book - which means fans of the book will hate it. If it has anything meaningful to do with the book, it'll suck because you can't turn that book into a coherent movie script. It's probably going to bomb.

What they SHOULD have done (and should still do) is have one of the cable networks pick it up (e.g. HBO, Showtime) as a series. The book's a series of vignettes organized in an "oral history" style...great. Make it post-apocalyptic, and do it in a vaguely "Red Shoe Diaries" format where each episode is introduced by the historian doing an interview of someone, which segues into the actual topic of the interview. That would kick ass.

The Wolverine: Wolverine goes to Japan. What more needs to be said? HIT

I already hate it, just for the inevitable sushi gag.