Al Michaels charged with DUI

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of myself as a relatively upstanding citizen, and I know there are about a gazillion times I could have been legitimately stopped and charged with DUI in my past, despite not being "out of control" or "drunk." Unless a motor vehicle accident or other gross negligence is at play, this really shouldn't be a big news item.

I think of myself as a relatively upstanding citizen, and I know there are about a gazillion times I could have been legitimately stopped and charged with DUI in my past, despite not being "out of control" or "drunk." Unless a motor vehicle accident or other gross negligence is at play, this really shouldn't be a big news item.

Done it a couple times myself, but there's no reasonable difference between driving under the influence and causing an accident and driving under the influence and not causing an accident. It's the act of willfully increasing the chances of an accident that counts.

DUI laws are about raising revenue. We shouldn't have to feel like criminals because we have a few drinks. The irresponsible, who would drink a pint of whiskey,and get behind the wheel, will continue to do so, as the rest of us have to suffer for it.

DUI laws are about raising revenue. We shouldn't have to feel like criminals because we have a few drinks. The irresponsible, who would drink a pint of whiskey,and get behind the wheel, will continue to do so, as the rest of us have to suffer for it.

You can drink all you want. Just take a car or stay home. It's not that hard, is it?

Drink 2 beers in under 2 hours and you are drunk in the eyes of the law.

PTR

You're way off man. I weigh 185 pounds so I consider myself to be a pretty average weight. A 12 ounce beer (unless it's like an IPA or one of many microbrews- but let's say a Budweiser for the sake of argument) has an ABV of 5% and is gonna put you at .03. Drink two of those in two hours and you're at .06 except you LOSE a beer an hour from your system, so you'd be back at .03. The legal limit is .08. The laws are designed so that you can go out, watch the game, have a few pops and still drive. In fact, the laws in the US are extremely lenient when contrasted with Europe. Now depending on your weight, what you've had to eat, your own body's ability to process alcohol, etc., these numbers can fluctuate a percentage point or two, but no, two beers in two hours is going to land anyone well under the legal limit.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You're way off man. I weigh 185 pounds so I consider myself to be a pretty average weight. A 12 ounce beer (unless it's like an IPA or one of many microbrews- but let's say a Budweiser for the sake of argument) has an ABV of 5% and is gonna hit you at .03. Drink two of those in two hours and you're at .06 except you LOSE a beer an hour from your system, so you'd be at .03. The legal limit is .08. The laws are designed so that you can go out and have a few pops and still drive. In fact, the laws in the US are actually pretty lenient when contrasted with Europe. Now depending on your weight, what you've had to eat, your own body's ability to process alcohol, etc., these numbers can fluctuate a percentage point or two, but no, two beers in two hours is going to land anyone well under the legal limit.

I based my comment on the time I did jury duty a few years back. A dude was charged with DUI and his lawyer hired an "alcohol absorption expert" :blink: to testify. While I agree all the factors you cite play a role, the rule-of-thumb this guys was saying was one drink (be it beer, wine, shot or mixer) per hour.

EDIT: I found this and it looks like you're right and that guy was full of it. DUI calculator.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Raising revenue? Really? Irresponsibility is having any alcohol and getting behind the wheel....Ignorance is thinking you can drink and drive without consequence. I have been both irresponsible and ignorant at some point in my life. Glad that has all changed...

I based my comment on the time I did jury duty a few years back. A dude was charged with DUI and his lawyer hired an "alcohol absorption expert" :blink: to testify. While I agree all the factors you cite play a role, the rule-of-thumb this guys was saying was one drink (be it beer, wine, shot or mixer) per hour.

PTR

That's the rule of thumb for "responsible drinking" not DUI laws, unless they were going for a lessor offense like driving impaired or a zero tolerance situation (.02)

EDIT: I found this and it looks like you're right and that guy was full of it. DUI calculator.

PTR

Hmm. Not sure what happened there, but I'm telling you- I could funnel two Budweisers right now and immediately get behind the wheel and drive all over town (I'd be at .06). For fans of Bud Light (in other words, people who don't actually like the taste of beer but like to drink), you're in luck because it only has an ABV of 4.2%, so you could probably get away with having an extra one here and there.

this is a terrible point man, and im about as anti-big government as they come.

the fact of the matter is, there needs to be a system in place that punishes those who step outside of what we, as a society, view as acceptable behavior. you could argue that maybe the legal limit is too low, but to say that it's just a scam to bilk us out of our money is ridiculous.

i don't see myself as "suffering" because there are laws in place to try and deter people from drinking and driving. in fact, you have to be pretty inebriated to arouse enough suspicion from an officer of the law to be pulled over, and even then, you have to be pretty inebriated to be issued a field sobriety test, AND EVEN THEN, you have to be pretty inebriated to fail it: especially if you're al freaking michaels living in america 2013. every red blooded, hetero sexual ameican male would have likely released him on the spot, had he been able to drive home safely.

and honestly, who, over the age of like, 25, gets busted for an oui without being pretty f*cked up? (and stupid).