PFC: 5 Reasons the Bills Should Draft Barkley

Link: http://www.profootba...t-matt-barkley/

By: PFC Contributor James Duignan

Recent buzz has surfaced with the Bills linked to Matt Barkley at 8. Most people will scratch their heads and point to draftniks such as Mayock or McShay saying they don’t feel that Barkley is deserving of such a high first round selection. After the Bills Draft Luncheon press conference last week, Joe Buscaglia at WGR predicted the Bills are down to Barkley and Nassib at the eighth pick, giving Barkley the edge in his most recent mock draft. Joe B predicted Spiller in 2010, one of Newton/Miller/Dareus in 2011, and either Mark Barron or Stephon Gilmore in 2012. Here are five reasons Matt Barkley should be the eighth overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

1. Football Resume

2. Intangibles

3. Buffalo’s History at QB

3. West-Coast Offense

4. “Parcells Rules” QB Criteria

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. Barkley all the way. When you have the chance to draft a possible franchise QB, you have to take a shot at it. None of these QBs will be available at #41.

From what little I have seen of Barkley, he looked like a much better passer in 2011 than he did last season.

That said, if he is healthy I would be happy if the Bills draft him.

Barkley just doesn't look like he has the frame to hold up in the NFL. He just looks frail to me.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2010/04/19/the-dripping-wet-matt-barkley-chronicles-water-cascading-off-usc-qbs-pecs-ripped-abs/

Dude is anything but frail. Yes, he got hurt this season, but he definitely has the frame.

He's missed games in 3 of 4 seasons and is coming off a season-ender. Maybe he doesn't look frail, but frail he is.

Smart kid, likable kid. But the physical stuff (arm, durability) just isn't there.

He missed one game in 2009. Missed one game in 2010. Played in every game in 2011. Missed 2 in 2012. That means he's frail? Get real

He missed one game in 2009. Missed one game in 2010. Played in every game in 2011. Missed 2 in 2012. That means he's frail? Get real

Yes, missing games in 3 of 4 seasons is pretty much the definition of frail. Him missing "only" 2 games this past season is pretty much luck that the injury occurred late in the season instead of early in the season. If it happened in Game 1, he would've missed 12 games, right?

Compare this to Nassib, who got shoddier protection at Cuse, and started 38 straight games, never missing one.

Yes, missing games in 3 of 4 seasons is pretty much the definition of frail. Him missing "only" 2 games this past season is pretty much luck that the injury occurred late in the season instead of early in the season. If it happened in Game 1, he would've missed 12 games, right?

Compare this to Nassib, who got shoddier protection at Cuse, and started 38 straight games, never missing one.

Nix puts a lot of weight on durability when it comes to picking players. This leads me to believe that we won't pick Barkley. My best case scenario is that we trade with Minnesota for an extra pick or 2 and take the QB we want at 23 or 25. If we wait until 41 the best QB's will be taken just before we pick. Edited by UpperDeck

sure take him,.. just not at #8

I disagree. If this front office and staff have decided that Barkley is the guy, you take him at 8 and not dick around. I have to say I am coming around on Barkley. reading that piece from PFC it really is the intangibles that are important. We take Barkley at 8 it will mark the first time this franchise has ever taken a QB that high.

Barkley's OL this year was atrocious. He was under a constant barrage the entire season. He missed 4 games in 4 years as the starter. I don't view that as frail. Considering the game and position he plays, that's not considered frail. There is a middle ground. If a QB isn't considered the most durable player that doesn't mean he's frail.

You quote the word "only" missed 2 games, yet I never used the word.