Will Gronk be back for Week 1?

BRAWNDO

Detailed analysis by ESPN's Stephania Bell regarding Gronks injuries and surgeries, along with his chances to be ready for the season opener.

This is still very much an evolving situation for the young star tight end, and there will be much more to watch for as the summer progresses. The optimal scenario would have Gronkowski fully healed and ready to start the 2013 season on time. While not impossible, it certainly does not seem likely.

Everything would have to happen perfectly from here forward, and the road has been anything but perfect thus far. A more likely scenario would have Gronkowski joining the team at some point after the season has begun, but it is too soon to say just when that might be.

While the Gronk is tough as nails, I think the telling story is how his medical staff will want to avoid re-injuring his forearm, and limit the danger of serious damage to his back, so IMO, he'll be on the PUP list for the season opener, or at least held out the 1st game or 2.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detailed analysis by ESPN's Stephania Bell regarding Gronks injuries and surgeries, along with his chances to be ready for the season opener.

While the Gronk is tough as nails, I think the telling story is how his medical staff will want to avoid re-injuring his forearm, and limit the danger of serious damage to his back, so IMO, he'll be on the PUP list for the season opener, or at least held out the 1st game or 2.

Is there any indication that the back is at all related to the week 1 prognosis? Everything I've read is all forearm with the back just being an offseason tuneup

Is there any indication that the back is at all related to the week 1 prognosis? Everything I've read is all forearm with the back just being an offseason tuneup

as Stephania points out, the hope is that rehab will happen concurrently with the forearm and back, but as Ian Rapoport says in a recent report, they just don't know the extent...

Clearly, there is uncertainty. The team does not know how bad Gronk's back is. And with his forearm healing for another two months at least, it might be time to start moving back his timeline. Ready for training camp? Seems like a long shot, in my opinion.

Think about it. Gronkowski hasn't been able to work out and lift like he's wanted. And with back surgery possibly looming, he likely won't for a while. Maybe it's time to turn the focus to a possible stint on the physically unable to perform list and a midseason return. Thinking of this situation in those terms might help for all parties.

Wait a second. A guy who missed his entire last year in college with a back injury might have problems staying healthy. :oops:

I actually love the meatheadness of Gronk and don't root for injury. But it does seem like guys who are almost too muscle bound struggle more with injuries.

Actually---he is slimmer looking than id imagined. 6' 6" and 265 is big but not like a muscle freak.If he were 6 1 he'd go about 220 with that build.

I hate to think that we'll start beating the Patriots just in time for the Boston-faithful to remind us it didn't happen until the twilight of Brady's career when the team suffered from injuries like this one.

And I then I realize I can't possibly use the word "hate" when describing wins over the Patriots.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/05/30/drew-rosenhaus-rob-gronkowski-joked-he-was-firing-me-and-hiring-jay-z/

After waking up from his latest surgery — a procedure done on his left forearm — the Patriots’ tight end apparently had a good laugh at the expense of his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

“As soon as he woke up, he joked, ‘Hey, I’m firing you.’ I said, ‘What?’ He said, ‘Yeah, I’m letting you go. I’m going to hire Jay-Z,’ ” Rosenhaus told ESPN on Thursday. “He was joking with me.

“That’s the great Rob Gronkowski. Immediately after surgery in the recovery room, he’s cracking jokes about letting me go as his agent. He’s one of a kind. Nothing’s going to slow this guy down. He’s a ton of fun to represent and an amazing client.”

But he also opens up (pun not intented) about the surgery

Rosenhaus was making the media rounds on Thursday. Earlier in the day, he told WQAM Radio in Florida that Gronkowski’s upcoming back surgery was no big deal, calling it was “preventative maintenance” and added that its’ fundamentally “killing two birds with one stone.”

“This is a lingering problem that Rob’s been playing with — actually through all of last season — and now that he’s out with the arm for a set period of time, it’s something that he eventually would have to do,” Rosenhaus said. “The recovery will be very comparable to the amount of time he would have missed with the arm surgery, so why not get it done now and make sure when he is healthy he’s 100 percent and he doesn’t have to address the back down the road?

“I used the cliche ‘We’re killing two birds with one stone’ by getting the back surgery when he’s out and recovering with his arm, because he really can’t do much right now anyway.”

• 1 month later...

No surprise, but it's now official, Gronk is on the PUP list to start training camp. http://www.nfl.com/n...triots-pup-list

The New England Patriots officially placed tight end Rob Gronkowski on the physically unable to perform list to begin training camp on Monday, as we reported they would do last month. If Gronkowski remains on the list to begin the season, he'll have to miss at least six games. He can come off the list any time before Aug. 31.

And reportedly Jake Ballard looks stiff and not a lock to even make the 53-man roster. Despite almost a year and a half passing since he had surgery.

It's amazing what happens when you see a guy who doesn't cheat to heal.

Adrian Peterson tears 2 ligaments and runs for 2k yards less than a year later. Jake Ballard "only" tears an ACL and he's still lost his lateral quickness a year and a half later. One guy is quicker, faster and stronger than ever in a remarkably short rehab/strength training window while another guy is feeling the body's natural reaction to that injury and given twice as long to rehab still can't get the quick twitch back. I know surgical techniques have gotten much much better but if MLB has taught us anything it's that when someone does something superhuman it's probably BS. Peterson jacked up his knee and came back better than when he left...in 8 months. Nothing to see here...

Adrian Peterson tears 2 ligaments and runs for 2k yards less than a year later. Jake Ballard "only" tears an ACL and he's still lost his lateral quickness a year and a half later. One guy is quicker, faster and stronger than ever in a remarkably short rehab/strength training window while another guy is feeling the body's natural reaction to that injury and given twice as long to rehab still can't get the quick twitch back. I know surgical techniques have gotten much much better but if MLB has taught us anything it's that when someone does something superhuman it's probably BS. Peterson jacked up his knee and came back better than when he left...in 8 months. Nothing to see here...

Good job Dr. Dork, you should go work for the NFL since you are obviously a top notch member of the medical community. AP has been a top player since he was 18 and Ballard is a below average TE. Big shock that one recovers quicker.

JMO, but with medical procedures to repair serious bodily injuries, all bets should be off regarding whatever science/medicine best speeds recovery. If steroids (or any other 'banned substance') is clinically proven to absolutely shorten and enhance recovery, so be it. Players coming off reconstructive surgerys should get a 1year pass for testing positive from these prescribed 'healing' drugs.

I tore my acl and had the same surgeon as scott chandler (who is/was back in 4 months).

The surgeon said I could be active again in 4 months if I follow instructions. He never offered me any performance enhancing drugs

Wow too bad, the wifey or GF might have liked it.

Given that Pats players have been busted taking HGH, I wouldn't put it past Ballard taking them as well. Meaning his surgery just didn't go well.

I tore my acl and had the same surgeon as scott chandler (who is/was back in 4 months).

The surgeon said I could be active again in 4 months if I follow instructions. He never offered me any performance enhancing drugs

You definitely should sue for malpractice!

• 4 weeks later...