Stadium update - no, not the Bills

Atlanta.....

Falcons’ field of dreams becoming real

http://www.ajc.com/n...l-hurdle/nXCXF/

The Atlanta Falcons’ plan for a $1 billion retractable-roof downtown stadium cleared the final political hurdle Thursday, amid cheers from supporters but also acknowledgement that daunting work lies ahead. The 8-1 vote by the city’s economic development arm, Invest Atlanta, to approve issuing bonds marks the end of three years of dealmaking over how much public money will go into construction. It’s also the beginning of an equally challenging phase to shape the building - and try to reshape the neighborhood around it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta be F***** kiding me!!!! There is no reason Atlanta needs a new stadium. Its 20 yrs old??? Thats like 160-175 NFL games. Is that the new standard? Taxpayers in all these cities are getting taken for a ride.

Arthur Blank is just pissed he's stuck in a dome, in the fall, in Georgia. GIve me a break!

It looks pretty cool, but absolutely not needed. What a joke these things are becoming, especially if any taxpayer money is used. And either way it's being funded, I can't wait to see the PSL's on this baby.

Long live the Ralph.

The taxes that will be used to help fund the stadium is a hotel and entertainment tax.

Oh, and for those of you taking shots at Blank, please, i would love him as the owner of The Bills. He wants a winner and demands it and does everything he can to help his F.O achieve that. Can we say the same about Ralph Wilson? And i am not bashing R.W. i am just saying i would take Blank any day!!!

There is no reason for them to get another stadium

Why did they ever build a dome in the first place?

Superbowls, conventions, Olympics, final four, etc., etc Unlike The Ralph, the GA Dome has gotten a lot more use than only 10 football games each year. I find it amusing that places like Atlanta don't spend years doing studies before engaging in a major project. They just do it. For all the money and time spent in WNY on studies for the waterfront, peace bridge, stadium...they could have constructed something of use. Meanwhile, everything costs 3 times what it did when they first started talking about it. If the Falcons build this state of the art facility, I wonder if Jerry Jones is going to want a new home in 10 years. FWIW - I wouldn't want all the bells and whistles and constant video images and music booming. I was happy to just have a nice seat to watch a football game outside during nice crisp fall weather. Now major league sports want to bring the carnival into every stadium. Maybe I'm just old school, but I can do without it and will probably avoid live sports when there's constant chaos surrounding me.

I live in Atlanta and was really surprised when I heard they were looking at a new stadium, too. What REALLY surprised me was when I heard they were likely going to demolish the GA Dome once the new stadium was ready. The GA Dome is really nice...I thought for sure they would just use it for college games, other sporting events, and expos or whatever. But I heard on the local sports station that they were planning to demolish the place. That really seems like a waste...I hope that the source was wrong about that.

That being said, those new designs are very cool....and I hate domes.

Just what Atlanta needs a new stadium, they are the worst city for fan support of any major market sports town. This is a town that had trouble selling out Braves games in the World series. Unfortunately we would never see one, we go brave the cold year in year out and for what the last 13 years. Hoping for a turnaround can't take to many more years with out playoffs.

The taxes that will be used to help fund the stadium is a hotel and entertainment tax.

Oh, and for those of you taking shots at Blank, please, i would love him as the owner of The Bills. He wants a winner and demands it and does everything he can to help his F.O achieve that. Can we say the same about Ralph Wilson? And i am not bashing R.W. i am just saying i would take Blank any day!!!

Of course you would. Blank is a wonderful owner. He's a wonderful business man whose created a gazillion jobs. And he's a wonderful philanthropic presence.

But he can use his own wonderful money -- he has it -- not take it from the taxpayers to the tune of $300m-plus. This includes property taxes from the surrounding area and more.

I would love a stadium. But it just seems insane to force taxpayers to pay for something that could be paid for by the people who are profiting off it.

It's like Apple charging you to develop its next iPhone in addition to making you pay for one.

Just what Atlanta needs a new stadium, they are the worst city for fan support of any major market sports town. This is a town that had trouble selling out Braves games in the World series. Unfortunately we would never see one, we go brave the cold year in year out and for what the last 13 years. Hoping for a turnaround can't take to many more years with out playoffs.

Braves IMO have a good fanbase.

Falcons, meh. I think the domed atmosphere, fervent SEC fanbase, and high Yankee transplant population, have a lot to do with it.

I liken going to a Falcons game to going to see an opera.

Edited by Just in Atlanta