Rutgers Fires BB Coach

Nanker

The guy had tears in his eyes! Somebody should kick him his balls

The guy is full of ****! Watch him on espn. Good move rutgers!

Total hothead. Thank god i don't have a son there. One big POS!

I was a basketball player, not a football player.............But, the things that the football coaches did to the players at my high school (late 70s) made this look like absolutely nothing.

Was that an old school thing, a football thing, or should they have been kicked out of coaching, as well? They won a lot of games and championships. And, the players pretty much loved them, or at least liked them. I don't remember any players not liking them.

Different times...not saying his actions were in the least bit appropriate... but you are barely allowed to frown at kids today

I was a basketball player, not a football player.............But, the things that the football coaches did to the players at my high school (late 70s) made this look like absolutely nothing.

Was that an old school thing, a football thing, or should they have been kicked out of coaching, as well? They won a lot of games and championships. And, the players pretty much loved them, or at least liked them. I don't remember any players not liking them.

when i was in 5th grade(early 70's) we had 2 'maniacal' teachers, they were notorious for throwing erasers, garbage cans at us...while it is not appropriate(or even really human) behavior, we knew our place....also those 2 teachers were the only ones that took their teams out to play kickball during recess every day...risk/reward....

Their supposed to be teachers not maniacs

College sports is a joke. That guy made $700,000 a year. If a player reacted like a lot of people would have, they lose their scholarship & get labelled as a thug. Sad thing, that guy will have no problem finding a new job.

I don't know about that. Not sure if you had a chance to watch the tape but it was pretty bad. Whipping basketball at guys heads, calling them every name in the book. This guy is going to have to do some major damage control to ever get another chance at coaching, even at the high school level. My guess is if he does get back into coaching, it will be at some obscure CC & then it will take years to rebuild his reputation. Can you imagine him having any success trying to recruit a kid now. If your son was a basketball player, would you ever let him play for this guy? Plus he is not even that good of a coach. The AD should be fired also imo.

I understand that. I played football in high school too & the coaches were pretty harsh sometimes. My basketball coach in high school one time at half time(we were losing at home by 8 to the worst team in the league) threw a metal chair at a kid. Luckily the kid ducked or it would of hit him right in the head. We ended up winning the game by 3 in overtime. That whole week, our coach made us practice 5am for 2 solid hours before school started doing mostly wind sprints. If a coach did that now I guarantee he would be hearing from the school board or at least some of the parents. None of the parents complained. In fact my dad actually applauded the coach & told him nice job this week at the next game.

Different times...not saying his actions were in the least bit appropriate... but you are barely allowed to frown at kids today

At the college level the coach and yell all he wants at the "kids" but the moment you start laying your hands on them that's crossing the line. It's been crossing the line for a few decades now.

When I was a little kid in the early 80s I remember an after school daycare worker twisting a 9 year old kid's ear and pulling him around by it saying "I'll bet you'll listen to me now." The kid was in tears. The next day the kid's mother came into the after care center grabbed the worker's ear and twisted it really heard and started yanking him around by it yelling, "How do you like it? Don't ever touch my son again, do you hear me!!!??" at him. She twisted his ear so hard the man had tears in his eyes.

Anyway, the point being is that - for the most part - I don't think parents' mind at all if their kids have other mentors/parental figures who help teach their kids, even if it's in a rough manner. But the moment you start laying a hand on someone else's child, it's not cool and there are going to be repercussions.

Calling them names and throwing balls! At a bunch of men over the age of 18 who are getting a free ride to school??!!?? Only a few generations ago, younger men than these were put on unpressured bombers and sent to fight a war, getting shot out of the sky over Bremen. But now a few names and a ball thrown at them is nationwide scandal? Oh, the horror!!!! God, we are getting soft. Grow a sack, f--ts.

Edited by RkFast

and you are ok with him pushing these players? and not just a shove...

Calling them names and throwing balls! At a bunch of men over the age of 18 who are getting a free ride to school??!!?? Only a few generations ago, younger men than these were put on unpressured bombers and sent to fight a war, getting shot out of the sky over Bremen. But now a few names and a ball thrown at them is nationwide scandal? Oh, the horror!!!! God, we are getting soft. Grow a sack, f--ts.

The difference is, we didn't send bomber crews over France just for sh--s and giggles, or just to pump up the ego of one jerk off basketball coach.

If this a--hole was commanding troops in battle in the same fashion, there'd be a pretty good chance of him catching a bullet in the back.

Dammit, none of you bit on the joke. The coach is a tool. But he DID get punished for his actions by the school. Asking for MORE punishment now, especially if his actions have been clean since his initial punishment, is a silly phony folly. He did his time, paid the fine. And now he, AND his staff, is going to be punished AGAIN? Doesn't seem right to me. And lets not forget the disgruntled employee who released the tape. Hes walking a pretty fine line between whistleblower and extortionist.

Eric Murdock? He was a hell of a player at providence(?) seton hall(?)

Dammit, none of you bit on the joke. The coach is a tool. But he DID get punished for his actions by the school. Asking for MORE punishment now, especially if his actions have been clean since his initial punishment, is a silly phony folly. He did his time, paid the fine. And now he, AND his staff, is going to be punished AGAIN? Doesn't seem right to me. And lets not forget the disgruntled employee who released the tape. Hes walking a pretty fine line between whistleblower and extortionist.

what would be the extortion?

and unfortunately for him, in a public job like this the coaches reputation is a major part of his ability to perform. with this public, his ability to perform his job has changed from last week to this week. i dont love the double punishment, but its not as simple as you made it sound either.