Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I'm surprised nobody posted this. His interview raves about Hackett and Hacketts father too. Says Marrone is a tough guy and represents the Bronx well. But he really glows about Hackett.

Simon: have you given any thought about them drafting you?

Nassib: Said qb's need to go to a coach who can teach and who better than the guy who's brought me along for three years. I love Buffalo. From Philly etc etc

Jeremy White: so we heard you like the cold.

Nassib: well nobody really likes the cold ha ha.

Good interview. Sounds like he would love to be here starts about half way in. You may not like his overall talent but you listen to this interview and tell me he doesn't belong here.

http://audio.wgr550....and-buffalo.htm

Great stuff at the end about him being a Broad Street Bully fan but will be all in for Buffalo including the Sabres and the culture of the city.

Sounds like a pretty laid back dude actually.

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere. I don't see it. If it has been I will delete or mod delete this.

This must have been posted somewhere. Why do I not see it? Merge??

Sounds great but I didn't see it on the field.

Hope he turns out great where ever he goes but there is no guarantee he comes here.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether we get him or not, I don't care where. If our coach passes or takes him, he would know better than anyone else what he's capable of and I'll have faith in that decision.

If we take him at 8 and he pans out, no one will remember or care where we took him. If he's a bust, then what else is new?

Rarely is there certainty drafting a QB (P.Manning, A. Luck the exception..), but I like the argument of going for him and taking a chance on Nassib by drafting him. I think without question a team would love to move up to our #8 slot to pickup a slider or a desired player while we should have no problem moving down as far as #19 and feeling confident that we could draft Nassib at that point. Might as well pick up an extra draft pick or two while getting a player you really want. I can't see the Bills moving back into the first round and sacrificing a third or fourth round pick in combination with their 2nd rounder to draft any QB in this year's crop! The goal should be to get Nassib and pickup an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder so we can snag a WR with the extra pick....picking two QB's in the draft isn't out of the question and having an extra pick or two could provide that luxury!! Go Bills...

My only fear with this is that it's so freaking obvious. Rarely do you see a team so clearly telegraph their pick if they aren't selecting #1.

Well, it's certainly not without precedent. Miami - last year. Mike Sherman was Ryan Tannehill's HC for four years. Sherman came on board last year as their OC.

edit:

Posted the above after reading just the first page of the thread. Then I saw Fixxer's post with the same info.

My observation on Syracuse football 2012 edition and Mr. Nassib in particular is they didn't seem to have many sure-handed receivers, and his OLine and blocking backs were pretty bad. Nassib likes to throw the long ball and underthrew the ball a lot on deep routes and overthrew his receivers often on short and middle routes. He definitely has talent, and I think could be groomed to be a starter-level NFL QB. He might never become elite, but he should get better blocking by The Bills OLine, and our receivers are a tad better than 'Cuse's.

Edited by Nanker

For all those wanting the Bills to take Nassib with the #8 pick just remember what the ultimate goal is for the team. That's to win the Superbowl of course. So with that, they will no doubt be facing one of these QBs...Rogers, Brees, Manning, Kaepernick, RGIII, WIlson or Newton. Do you honestly believe that Nassib has the kind of ability to win against one of those QBs in the Superbowl? I don't. I think his ceiling is that of a guy like Andy Dalton. If Dalton ever got his team in the Superbowl against one of those QBs then the Bengals would be 10 point underdogs.

If the Bills pick Nassib at #8, they are telling everyone that he will be as good as one of those NFC QBs that I mentioned. Their head coach is Nassib's college coach so they will have no choice but to say that with a straight face. That's far fetched to me. Marrone coached Brees, so he obviously knows what kind of elite level QB play they'd be facing in the Superbowl. If Nassib's there at their second round pick and feel that there's the outside shot at him becoming as good as Eli Manning in a couple years then I wouldn't have a problem. I could buy that as taking a flyer on the guy. But picking him at #8 just doesn't pass the smell test right now. That is if their goal is to win a Superbowl and not just make the playoffs like the Bengals do without ever having a legitimate shot at a winning a championship when you look at the highly talented QBs in the other conference.

It's my hope the Bills can trade down for a 2014 1st round pick as ammo for a trade up to get a legitimate franchise QB in next year's draft. The flyer QB I'd take in the 2nd round this year would be EJ Manuel who looks like the only QB in this draft that has the "high ceiling" talent to eventually compete with the best in the Superbowl.

I don't think there will be any Lucks or Griffins next year either. If they take Nassib at 8, that means Marrone, who has the best read of anyone in the NFL on the kid, believes he has what it takes. If they don't then you have your answer on him.

Interestingly, Drafttek has Nassib rated (currently) the 11th best QB in this year's draft class.

Think the homerism here is strong, anyone?

I have no opinion about Nassib currently, but I'll trust the evaluation of two coaches who have seen him on an almost daily basis for the past four years over ANY draft scouting material.

I have no opinion about Nassib currently, but I'll trust the evaluation of two coaches who have seen him on an almost daily basis for the past four years over ANY draft scouting material.

Sure, I get it, and there would be obvious positives to him joining the squad. That said, there could - just could, mind you - be better talent available that has a larger upside.

I don't have a dog in the fight as far as the next QB goes. But from all accounts, there isn't much in the way of outstanding QB prospects available in this year's draft.

Out of curiosity, what similarities do you see from Andy Dalton and Nassib? Where did you come up with this comparison?

I don't get the comparison either. Nassib, from what I have seen is nothing like Andy Dalton. Completely different styles of play.

I know. 30 seconds before the 7th pick i can picture the Jets jumping us and picking Nassib just because they know Buffalo is about to pick him and they really like the kid.

Nope. The Bills pick one slot ahead of the Jets in round one, but one slot behind the Jets in round two. My fear is that the Bills will go after a defensive player in round one and hope to get their QB in round two. But the Jets take the QB that Buffalo wants in round two.

Sure, I get it, and there would be obvious positives to him joining the squad. That said, there could - just could, mind you - be better talent available that has a larger upside.

I don't have a dog in the fight as far as the next QB goes. But from all accounts, there isn't much in the way of outstanding QB prospects available in this year's draft.

whether or not there is exceptional talent at the position, i have no idea. i just hope they find the best guy for the job.

Good points. He can make all the throws, something we havent seen in Buffalo since fitz was starting.

I have been leaning on taking Nassib at 8 since Marrone became HC.

Go for it and nobody will really be all that surprised and I think we can make a very quick turnaround if we can get 2 LB's in the draft and in FA .

Well they know more about Nassib than anybody. It would make sense and when if anything coming out of OBD make any sense lately??

Actually it makes too much sense if you think about it. This will force the Bills to run the ball more and with CJ and Freddy coming back hopefully to 2011 form we have a backfield that takes alot of pressure off the kid.

I like the thought of the Bills running the ball as much as they can because the line is built for it.

My only issue with a Nassib pick would be the fact that Marrone and Nassib weren't exactly burning up the college ranks as a top 20 team. But they did have success I believe with an 8-5 record with a tough non big east schedule. Not sure how this pair will translate to the NFL.

I don't get the comparison either. Nassib, from what I have seen is nothing like Andy Dalton. Completely different styles of play.

Couldn't be bigger opposites... Dalton is one of the last guys I would compare Nassib to. Nassib is a down the field thrower that excels at the intermediate routes. Needs to display better touch on shorter stuff (got much better at this as the season went on) Has arm for deep ball, but would often times underthrow it due to bad timing, not arm strength. Guy belongs in a down the field vertical offense.

Interestingly, Drafttek has Nassib rated (currently) the 11th best QB in this year's draft class.

Think the homerism here is strong, anyone?

Drafttek also has Colin Klein at 9... guy is a worse version of Tebow

My problem, or fear, is this:

1] Marrone and Hackett have watched Nassib more than anyone anywhere.

2] They have seen him improve steadily and greatly over 3-4 years.

3] They saw him shine, if not explode, the second half of the year under their helm, in the offense they designed partially for him.

The problem with this is, it's only natural for them, or anyone, to think that progression they saw is going to continue into the NFL. It's not a Marrone or Hackett thing, every single coach IMO if they saw and did what they saw and did would likely think the same thing (unless there is an obvious ceiling, which I doubt).

Plus, regardless of public personas, ALL of these coaches at this level have enormous egos, and we should be glad they do. They wouldn't succeed if they didn't. The downside to that is that they ALL think they can help a guy and coach a guy up to acheive his top potential.

Marrone and Hackett have been wotness to, and participated in, this steep and consistent ascension of Nassib, and they very, very likely think it is going to continue under their guidance.

I think Chip Kelly, Bill Bellichick, Jim Harbaugh, Tom Coughlin, or virtually anyone would think the exact same thing.

We like to think that these guys are paid to know, but A) they don't even if they are great (they just guess right a better percentage) and B) there really isn't a lot about Nassib that guarantees failure, or that he can't do. Sure, he has a ton of faults or weaknesses, but they are not of the insurmountable variety.

He's very likely to be our QB next year. I don't think that Hackett and Marrone are going to want/acquire him just because of nepotism or familiarity. They are basically betting their pro careers on this guy if they convince NIx/Whaley/Brandon to draft him high. But IMO they are going to truly believe he can be a franchise QB. And IMO, pretty much any coach would think the exact same thing under the exact same circumstances, because of Nassib's progress and ascension.

It just remains to be seen if he is any good in the NFL and if this ascension stops right here.

Yes I did. Because I was looking at the next 10 years of NFC Superbowl QBs and Nassib's chances of being anywhere near favored over one of them. Kaerpernick, Wilson, RGIII or Newton making Superbowl appearances in the next 10 years is far fetched to you?

What, am I supposed to apologize for being skeptical that Nassib is close to that kind of talent level? I get that it'd be a great western New York storyline, but I want the Bills to win a Superbowl. If they do pick Nassib at #8, then I want you and everyone here wanting Nassib at #8 to say that he's has a great shot to become an NFL elite QB and beat one of the guys I mentioned in the Superbowl within the next 10 years. Because if you can't say that with a straight face then he should be picked in round 2 or later.

The goal is to WIN the Superbowl, not just get in the playoffs or get to the Superbowl and lose.

Lots and lots of THIS.

If they do it then it shouldn't even be considered a gutsy move. They would have to say that Nassib has a high probability of becoming an elite NFL QB if they pick him at #8. They were his coaches for the last three years and Marrone having coached Brees knows what kind of elite QB talent you need to win a Superbowl in today's NFL. Right now, I think it's a stretch to view Nassib as having an elite level ceiling.

For what it's worth, Brees was not elite until he started at N.O. He was actually horrific at times in SD but grew into the role and had a lights-out campaign after Rivers was drafted. But I don't think you become elite until you've done it for a few years. I always liked him, but there were concerns aplenty about him for various reasons throughout his San Diego tenure.