Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keeping this video handy so we can expose the noodle armed, slow footed signal caller we all know as Ryan Nassib. :flirt:

The thing that I like most about that is the offensive versatility that Marrone and Hackett showed. I hope that their creativity can be used to exploit defenses in the NFL.

Gabbert : Legs run fast, brain runs slow

Nassib : Brain runs fast, legs run slow

I'll take Nassib over Gabbert...

Bump

watching that video, the guy makes guys stop or even double back to catch balls.....guys who are wide open. You will never have a season worth of catches where receivers are as open as this Mizzo game. these are all pick or incompletes at the next level

So what do I think of him? He's got potential, most of the limitations he has can be coached up, but I'm not certain his ceiling is upper-echelon for an NFL QB. You may be looking at more of a Matt Hasselbeck than a Matt Ryan; good enough to compete, as long as he doesn't have to win games on his arm consistently.

That a good evaluation there. One thing you said struck me though. That his deficiencies could be "coached up". I see that as a problem considering his former coaches are now here. If these deficiencies can be solved through proper coaching, why haven't these deficiencies already improved or resolved?

The problem I have with Nassib is that 100% of the coaching influence he will get in the NFL he has already had. Will he get the other point of view needed to take his game to the next level? Will he actually grow in the NFL, or will this just be Syracuse continuing in Orchard Park? I see that the Bills have not acquired a QB coach outside of the Hackett/Marrone system. At least a different QB would bring a different skill set, one that could be improved on by Hackett/Marrone.

That a good evaluation there. One thing you said struck me though. That his deficiencies could be "coached up". I see that as a problem considering his former coaches are now here. If these deficiencies can be solved through proper coaching, why haven't these deficiencies already improved or resolved?

The problem I have with Nassib is that 100% of the coaching influence he will get in the NFL he has already had. Will he get the other point of view needed to take his game to the next level? Will he actually grow in the NFL, or will this just be Syracuse continuing in Orchard Park? I see that the Bills have not acquired a QB coach outside of the Hackett/Marrone system. At least a different QB would bring a different skill set, one that could be improved on by Hackett/Marrone.

Enter Geno Smith, EJ Manuel or Matt Scott.

watching that video, the guy makes guys stop or even double back to catch balls.....guys who are wide open. You will never have a season worth of catches where receivers are as open as this Mizzo game. these are all pick or incompletes at the next level

lol, OK

That's a strong point, and I have to admit, it's not something that I considered in the past.

I suppose that, when I think about it, there's always going to be room for improvement, and when I look at Nassib's productivity as he progressed through college, he did make marked strides in each of his 4 years. To me, that says that Marrone is at least somewhat capable of developing a QB. I make room for the possibility that Marrone is capable of bringing Nassib further along than he already has, but by no means do I consider it a certainty.

Good discussion point.

Nassib has the football smarts along with the velocity/accuracy to pick Defenses apart. The guy thrives on team accomplishments, he's a gym rat and is only going to get better.

So what your saying is since Nassib has been given the opportunity to run a pro style Offense, hes reached his ceiling already, brilliant.

Nassib has the football smarts along with the velocity/accuracy to pick Defenses apart. The guy thrives on team accomplishments, he's a gym rat and is only going to get better.

So what your saying is since Nassib has been given the opportunity to run a pro style Offense, hes reached his ceiling already, brilliant.

He didn't say that at all...he said he was concerned that perhaps Marrone had gotten everything out of Nassib that he was capable of getting out of him as a coach, and it's a valid concern. He didn't state it as a definite, but rather simply wondered aloud about the possibility.

It was a perfectly valid point.

That's a viable perspective. However, you are assuming the the Marrone & Co. show is going to be a continuation of the Syracuse program. It is not. They are taking it to a whole new level, and they have to. Nassib would be going from driving a Aveo to a Audi. Hackett's offense will have the same principles as it did in Syracuse but with a huge step up in OL protection, speed, weapons than he was afforded at Syracuse. His offense is going to be way more dynamic now, and it has to be because it will be facing top NFL defesnes. Likewise, Hackett has to teach that offensive approach.

If your argument is Nassib is a finished product after his 4 years at Syracuse under Hackett and he's not going to learn or execute anything more, then wouldn't any QB the Bills select be a finished product after 4 years of Hackett's offense in Buffalo? In essence, the Bills would be drafting a QB for 4 years and then a dropoff?

I think all teams first look at the QBs physical attributes as a prerequisite. They all have guns, some more, some less... and the pros know what it takes in the NFL. Mobility is always a question. Some teams demand it others say it aint the defining thing in their offense, thus the Marinos, Mannings, Rivers, Bradys, Warners more than have a place... they are upper echelon. The one thing that is hard to measure is the speed of the QBs brain. How quick their body and arm's response/reaction to a visual. If it could be measured there would be no argument... that's the QB you want as long as he has an NFL arm minimum and is durable and strong. The one thing that jumps out with Nassib is that he makes nano second decisions and the ball is gone in a hurry. The ball is gone from anywhere to under 1 sec. to 3 sec. in 90% of his throws and it is accurate. Hackett is cutting edge and innovative. Nassib is a disciple, a film junky, workaholic, that has little, if any interest outside of football. I don't have any doubt that if those two are paired up again, the chemistry and collaboration is that one component that many overlook and undervalue, and will be the biggest diffrence maker.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

The thing that I like most about that is the offensive versatility that Marrone and Hackett showed. I hope that their creativity can be used to exploit defenses in the NFL.

Marrone/Nassib will do what ever it takes to win football games. If it means handing the football off to CJ Spiller, that is what Nassib will do to exploit another teams weakness.

If Russ Brandon pulls this off and is able to keep these two together,(Nassib/Marrone) I will never say another bad thing about Brandon for as long as I live.

thats a promise...

Not at all. I'm just saying he's reached his ceiling, or close to it, with Marrone. Given the proper coaching, he may be an excellent pro. Just for a different coach.

Today Marrone threw a little cold water on the nepotism issue, at least publicly, which was a smart move. When asked about knowing Nassib and if we would draft him, he said something like, "It was like having friends in the NFL, I didn't hire them all."

Nothing said in public, good or bad, about these players until the draft actually happens, should be considered the truth about how anyone feels about any player.

The more I think of it, the more it comes down to one basic thing: Ceiling or scratch the surface. Marrone and Hackett completely changed their offense right before last season. They obviously did not think that Nassib could win games playing the way he was playing in the offense he played in for the last two years. It took a few weeks to really take hold, although they had 1-2 explosive games early, but Nassib and the offense really took off the second half of last year, and that is what vaulted both coaches and player into the NFL.

Now, Marrone and Hackett saw that transformation first hand. They also saw Nassib struggle enough that they had to completely change the offense. So to me, the question is, did they maximize what Nassib could do and do well which allowed him and his team to explode and win -- OR -- did they think "Eureka! This is what we needed to unharness in him and now the sky is the limit with this kid!"

I don't think any one of us here know the answer to that question.

It's also possible that Marrone and Hackett don't know themselves, and are therefore wishy-washy on the subject themselves. This is something that has also come to my mind recently. We all just assume that because they spent so much time with him that they will know what they think of him, but that is really not true. They will know what they think of him as a college player, but they really may not know what they think of him as a pro. We just assume they do.

You could date a girl for three full years and like and perhaps really love her, and still have little idea if you think she would make a great wife you're betting your adult happiness on, which is basically what Marrone and Hackett will be doing.

This is 100% conjecture, but I think there is a very good chance that Marrone and Hackett really love the kid as a guy and leader, and just don't know themselves if he is good enough to be anything more than a back-up in the NFL. They very likely see the same deficiencies that scouts and some fans do.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Today Marrone threw a little cold water on the nepotism issue, at least publicly, which was a smart move. When asked about knowing Nassib and if we would draft him, he said something like, "It was like having friends in the NFL, I didn't hire them all."

Nothing said in public, good or bad, about these players until the draft actually happens, should be considered the truth about how anyone feels about any player.

The more I think of it, the more it comes down to one basic thing: Ceiling or scratch the surface. Marrone and Hackett completely changed their offense right before last season. They obviously did not think that Nassib could win games playing the way he was playing in the offense he played in for the last two years. It took a few weeks to really take hold, although they had 1-2 explosive games early, but Nassib and the offense really took off the second half of last year, and that is what vaulted both coaches and player into the NFL.

Now, Marrone and Hackett saw that transformation first hand. They also saw Nassib struggle enough that they had to completely change the offense. So to me, the question is, did they maximize what Nassib could do and do well which allowed him and his team to explode and win -- OR -- did they think "Eureka! This is what we needed to unharness in him and now the sky is the limit with this kid!"

It's also possible that Marrone and Hackett don't know themselves, and are therefore wishy-washy on the subject themselves. This is something that has also come to my mind recently. We all just assume that because they spent so much time with him that they will know what they think of him, but that is really not true. They will know what they think of him as a college player, but they really may not know what they think of him as a pro. We just assume they do.

You could date a girl for three full years and like and perhaps really love her, and still have little idea if you think she would make a great wife you're betting your adult happiness on, which is basically what Marrone and Hackett will be doing.

This is 100% conjecture, but I think there is a very good chance that Marrone and Hackett really love the kid as a guy and leader, and just don't know themselves if he is good enough to be anything more than a back-up in the NFL. They very likely see the same deficiencies that scouts and some fans do.

I think you could also throw into the mix the fact that Marrone/Hackett are basically getting another chance to select/recruit a QB to run there offense. Would they choose Nassib if given a second chance? Or do they see other Qb's with skills they desire? With the NFL draft they are getting a chance at supposedly the best and only competing with 31 other teams. As opposed to college recruitment where they were competing against other, power house programs, where the ultimate say is left up to the player.

I think you could also throw into the mix the fact that Marrone/Hackett are basically getting another chance to select/recruit a QB to run there offense. Would they choose Nassib if given a second chance? Or do they see other Qb's with skills they desire? With the NFL draft they are getting a chance at supposedly the best and only competing with 31 other teams. As opposed to college recruitment where they were competing against other, power house programs, where the ultimate say is left up to the player.

And they didn't recruit Nassib, right? He was already there when they got there, and in fact, Marrone benched Nassib for Paulus in Nassib's redshirt Freshman year after Nassib had beat out a couple other prospects in the spring.

At this point we know the Bills have to get a QB within the first 2 rounds. I think you can pretty much set this in stone.

I don't think Nassib is a 1st round talent. But then again I don't scout for a living. But I do think that Marrone and Hackett like the kid....very much so. But they really can't say it in public. But you know they know everything about him that there is to know.

Say the Bills go BPA in the 1st...say D. Jordan or J.Jones if they fall that far. I think most people would be down with this.

Now if they draft Nassib in the 2nd, they think that he is good enough to take any scheme that Hackett draws up and can execute it on game day. He has proven he can do it in college. So the kids has it upstairs.

The Bills will see all the QB's out there. No Doubt. But if you are going to wait until the second round why not Nassib? Sometimes the most logical thing is the best thing to do.

And they didn't recruit Nassib, right? He was already there when they got there, and in fact, Marrone benched Nassib for Paulus in Nassib's redshirt Freshman year after Nassib had beat out a couple other prospects in the spring.

Yea, Nassib was there in 2008 and was red-shirted in favor of Paulus.

Yea, Nassib was there in 2008 and was red-shirted in favor of Paulus.

I think he redshirted in 2008, and was benched in favor of Paulus, and spent the 2009 season as Paulus' back-up, but played in a bunch of games as a redshirt Freshman. Then started 2010-2012 after Paulus left.

Very well articulated post as usual Kelly, and one I'll leave to Dr Trooth,

but conjecture is right...

Every last one.

Nassib's highlight reels make you want to draft his recievers.