What scares/inspires you the most about this upcoming season?

Virgil

This upcoming season already has a ton of question marks surrounding it. However, I'm willing to admit that I don't know what I don't know and I won't pretend to guess that I know what the plan is at OneBillsDrive. With that being said, here is what scares me so far:

Scares:

1 - WR - Above all else, if Brad Smith is our #2, that is terrifying to me. Even if we go WR in the first round, even the great WR's don't do that much in their first years. Plus, there aren't any "no brainer" WR's this year in my opinion. The Tenn kid is very raw with routes and teh WV kid is small. No matter what the scheme, only having Stevie out there and no #2 or viable TE would be tough for any offense to overcome. We'll see what happens. But I hope they grab a FA to come in. DHB would be nice, but he doesn't seem to be interested.

2 - LB depth - I think this defense grossly underachieved last year. I'm very excited about Pettine and what he will do with these guys. However, even with adding Lawson, the depth at LB is very weak and I think Pettine's defense is very reliant on LB's. Again, we have the draft and their are still some FA's out there, but it's scary. And while it's not a LB, the SS is used like one and I don't know how much faith I have in Searcy

3 - LG - I know that many on here feel that it's an easy position to replace and I would agree, if he also didn't let Rinehart go. I don't think the next LG is on the team right now and I hate to now have to waste one of our early 3 picks to fill a position that we created for ourselves. Maybe their is a FA plan here, but I don't know enough to guess.

4 - The overall wait and see at QB - It feels like the plan is bring in 3 capable people and see which one wins the job (one being a rookie). While it can work, it's still very different than having someone you are excited to have and wait for them to take you to the next level. Maybe it'll work out, but equally maybe not. QB is a tough position to gamble at.

Inspires:

1 - Due Diligence - Above all else, it looks like this team is really doing their homework. Whoever the Bills draft at QB, I feel like they will get their guy. Now, I'm not saying he will be great, but I think they will get the best one they can for our system. I feel like they are going to see what falls to them and have the most information to make the best decision possible. Overall though, I feel like we aren't going to have someone that we are going to be excited about until next year.

Either way, I am in overall wait and see mode. I think they will grab a few more FA's that will be solid at a good price. I think they will have a solid draft and an equally solid pool of UDFA's. Perfect world, I'd love to see them get to trade back and bolster picks, but I think there is going to be so many in the moment changes based upon other teams decisions that there isn't going to be a perfect draft plan besides do your homework and prepare for everything.

Just thoughts...

I dont have a lot to offer here but I will comment, and agree with your number 2 scare. It is my opinion this defense will go from under-achieve to over-achieve in ONE season. **** dude, we've got some great players on this D....and a new D-coordinator that has been right up there for the last few years with the Jets.. I believe Pettine is going to make us VERY happy. A guy that will put our players in position to make plays.

I'm thinking the story will not be so much Kolb (although I love this signing), but a VASTLY improved defense. I honestly think Wannstedt (sp?) was a lacking DC. I'd bet my net worth on a .500 season this year, and a playoff appearance next.

GO BILLS ~!!

jb

What scares me---same clowns drafting. WR corp is extremely thin. QBs are mediocre, thats their ceiling. Injuries at LB or safety. Defenses stacking the box, focusing on stopping the run and daring us to throw. Not really inspired about anything though I do agree the D has to be better, Wanny did one of the worst jobs of coaching a unit in this franchise's history.

I would say the Vegas line on our over/under wins for 2013 will be about 5 which sounds right and we will enter year 15 of Bills groundhog day in 14.

My Steeler buddies down here in PA will say "god your Bills suck", and I'll say yup just like I always do.

Edited by billsfan714

C.J. Spiller....... he is getting close to OJ skills.

Stevie

Freddie when healthy. Kyle Williams when healthy. These guys give me some hope.

What scares me is what will the Bills do at 8??

Also who is gonna play LB with Lawson?

will the D get better? well cant get any worse.

Edited by Bufcomments

Inspires:

A head coach who has turned around a dismal program with sub-par talent who knows what it takes to rebuild a program/franchise. A defensive coordinator who believes in blitz/show/disguising multiple packages. Nothing was worse than watching Wannstedts awful game plans eatin alive while he sat back and said he put his players in a position to win. He truly put together some of the worst defensive schemes I have ever seen and was so stubborn and incompetent that he never wanted to change.

The fact that I'm almost to the point where I no longer care about watching the NFL at all anymore. Didn't really care about watching the playoffs last year, save the Patriots, and rooting against those bastages.

Last season I watched about 1/3 the Sunday ticket games I've watched in past years. Since the Bills strive to continue down this path of mediocrity the more they lose again this year I expect the more my passion for the sport will diminish.

With Buddy Nix still the GM for the upcoming draft I'm not even looking forward to that event. Perhaps Marrone can build a winner despite being handicapped by Nix, and Wilson's stooges. Chuck Knox managed to do it, so who knows.

What excites me is seeing CJ Spiller are the primary ball carrier and not being told he was winded after a long run that results in him getting 7 touches a game. What worries me the most is the lack of any kind of Receiving depth. At this point teams will simply double up on Stevie and we have zero else at wr. No qb regardless of who it is would succeed with this receiving "core"