Draft 3 QB In The 1st 3 Rounds...

I know it sounds crazy. But imagine you, Bills fan, waking up on Day 2 of the draft with 3 new QBs; all drafted higher than Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick. We need a QB! We will never win a super bowl without one and that has to be the goal. I can't go another year with a bad QB. Go all in on finding the next Bills franchise QB. At all costs. Once you get one then you draft best player available every time.

Ideal Draft:

1. Geno Smith

2. Ryan Nassib

3. Take your best shot Nix/Whaley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is crazy; you will never see an NFL team do that so it really isn't worth discussing.

Yeah I know. Incompetence is also widespread in NFL front offices. Moneyball was crazy in baseball too. As I think I've seen in other posts, there is only one player left on the Bills from our 2009 draft so its not like drafting the normal way always results in a bunch of starters. Take a gamble on QB. We're not going to be a winner until we get one. Would it be ideal to only draft Nassib in round 2 and draft for need in 1 and 3? Yeah if he fell that far and he is a franchise QB. We don't know that though. We need to utilize all resources to ensure we get a QB. Until we do, the losing culture of the Bills will not change.

Edited by The Voice of Truth

Hahaha. It might be. But r u prepared for more years of horrible Bills QBing? If we draft for need and get no QB, we're still gonna suck.

QB is a need. We can try and address the QB position without being idiots and using our 1st 3 picks on them. Did you even stop to think about how foolish that sounds?

Yeah I know. Incompetence is also widespread in NFL front offices. Moneyball was crazy in baseball too. As I think I've seen in other posts, there is only one player left on the Bills from our 2009 draft so its not like drafting the normal way always results in a bunch of starters. Take a gamble on QB. We're not going to be a winner until we get one. Would it be ideal to only draft Nassib in round 2 and draft for need in 1 and 3? Yeah if he fell that far and he is a franchise QB. We don't know that though. We need to utilize all resources to ensure we get a QB. Until we do, the losing culture of the Bills will not change.

Leave it up to the innovative bills to pioneer this.

Yes

Ok, then expect us to suck yet have a promising OG and LB on the team. I am usually big in drafting BPA but when you don't have a QB my philosophy is different. It's the most important position in sports and our current QB depth chart might not even possess a backup quality player on most teams.

How would you decide which one to go with long term? Training camp? Or just give up on one every year or two and go to the next?

Open it up for competition. Whoever wins it, starts week 1. You get so much more info on a player that you have than during the draft vetting process. Marrone seems good with QBs. He should be able to identify and nurture one guy into some form of franchise QB.

Leave it up to the innovative bills to pioneer this.

Haha. I'm thinking quite wishfully.

I know it sounds crazy. But imagine you, Bills fan, waking up on Day 2 of the draft with 3 new QBs; all drafted higher than Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick. We need a QB! We will never win a super bowl without one and that has to be the goal. I can't go another year with a bad QB. Go all in on finding the next Bills franchise QB. At all costs. Once you get one then you draft best player available every time.

Ideal Draft:

1. Geno Smith

2. Ryan Nassib

3. Take your best shot Nix/Whaley

You know it sounds crazy because it actually is crazy.

There is one thing that every QB now starting in the NFL got at some point or another: a fair chance, and adequate mentoring/development

Under the new system for # and length of workouts, t's a stretch to give 3 guys a reasonable number of reps in training camp, and it dilutes their opportunity to be ready. Anyone else think Flynn, Wilson, and TJax all got equal reps last year in Seattle? That would be "no", and 2 of the 3 were vets who didn't need the development of a rookie.

Yeah, let's take 3 QB in the first 3 rounds so none of them get a fair chance and adequate mentoring/development and TJax has 0 chance to learn the system in case none of them work out. Why don't we just take QB with all 6 of our draft picks? After all, the QB does it all - throws, catches, blocks, defends....

I have an alternative suggestion: pick whichever QB you like best and do what it takes to land him.

If he doesn't show promise or isn't ready, start TJax and try again next year.

Draft other positions with other picks so the poor kid has someone to throw to and someone to keep him off his ass and the D can stop something besides a nosebleed.

Edited by Hopeful

So hopeful, you're willing to suck for another year. Why don't we just set the record for longest playoff drought while we're at it. If we don't have a QB we're gonna suck. Your thinking is exactly like Nix's right now. And that's why we're gonna continue to suck probably. Because we cant seem to solve the QB problem. Get 1!

It is crazy; you will never see an NFL team do that so it really isn't worth discussing.

Simply because you can't give 3 QB's enough reps to get any one of them properly prepared for a season. Then, when you choose one will it be like Gailey choosing Trent Edwards over Fitz and Brohm because he is better in camp then the other two?

Almost all of the rookies drafted in this years class will need more then just one off season to become a decent NFL starter except perhaps one, Matt Barkley who ran a pro style offense at USC is better suited to start right away then any other QB. Meaning the Bills had better sign Kolb and let him compete with TJ while they prepare the rookie QB for later in the year or next season.Basically all of this years QB's would be best suited to sit and learn, and watch film to prepare themselves for a pro system.

I only like 2 QB's in this draft class anyway, Ryan Nassib and Tyler Bray who will need some extra time to develop and real work on his mechanics. Bray has an arm like a cannon which is needed for the swirling winds at the Ralph, he just needs to learn to step into his throws and work on an over the top delivery.

So hopeful, you're willing to suck for another year. Why don't we just set the record for longest playoff drought while we're at it. If we don't have a QB we're gonna suck. Your thinking is exactly like Nix's right now. And that's why we're gonna continue to suck probably. Because we cant seem to solve the QB problem. Get 1!

In my opinion, this criticism of Nix is mostly unfair. He has been in charge of exactly 3 drafts in Buffalo. Yes, QB is the most important position in the NFL. Yes, he can be criticized for not selecting Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick, but let's allow those guy's careers to play out a bit longer before anointing them as Hall of Famers.

Is Buddy Nix the best GM ever? I don't think so, but he also isn't as bad as he has been made out to be by some here. He has credible scouting background, including being involved in selecting Eli Manning and was very likely consulted in the trade of Manning for Phillip Rivers. He has added talent to the roster, including several street FAs including starting RT Erik Pears and starting TE Scott Campbell. He has also misfired on some relatively high draft picks (I'll concede that Aaron Williams has been lost at CB, but I'd like to see him be tried at Safety, I am in the minority, but I think it is too early to label TJ Graham a bust).