Bills Current Cap Situation updated

According to NFL.com, the Bills have close to $17m in cap room right now. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team

However, nearly $10m was rolled from last year... which means they are at 94% spend of the $121m cap.

I'm not clear what they are going to do with the $10m rollover from last year... maybe offer 2-4 FAs a guaranteed one year deal or maybe restructure a couple of current player deals in order to move money into the 2013 cap to take the hit now.

If they don't start addressing guard, wide receiver and linebacker in free agency, they will win about three games this year.

Can't believe Marrone is down with what's going on.

OK. I guess the Jonny Football watch beginneth.

I actually have come to terms with the lack of free agency activity this year. I like the Manny Lawson signing, and I like that they are taking a good look at Fred Davis (could be a good signing if he is cleared medically and the price is right). I think we will see some more "low-level" FA signings before and after the draft to fill in some of the gaps. That is just fine with me. I don't expect the Bills to make a marked improvement this year, and as much as I hate to say it, it looks like we are beginning another re-building process. Let's just hope they get it right this time, and it all begins with the quarterback position. Seems as though they are leaving no stone unturned (draft and FA/trade) to find the right guys to compete at QB.

Save that cap room to extend guys like Byrd, Wood, and Spiller.

If they don't start addressing guard, wide receiver and linebacker in free agency, they will win about three games this year.

Or he thinks more of the talent on this roster than many Bills fans.

I actually have come to terms with the lack of free agency activity this year. I like the Manny Lawson signing, and I like that they are taking a good look at Fred Davis (could be a good signing if he is cleared medically and the price is right). I think we will see some more "low-level" FA signings before and after the draft to fill in some of the gaps. That is just fine with me. I don't expect the Bills to make a marked improvement this year, and as much as I hate to say it, it looks like we are beginning another re-building process. Let's just hope they get it right this time, and it all begins with the quarterback position. Seems as though they are leaving no stone unturned (draft and FA/trade) to find the right guys to compete at QB.

See those guys are truly impact players for our team vs a Guard we let go. Sign those guys and you are keeping good talent here

We still have a lot of free agency left and the draft. I highly doubt Marrone is "down" with this roster for the season.

I'm quite certain this is going to happen, and the Bills brass does too, hence the FA in activity. There's a difference between going on a FA spending spree and signing enough FAs in order to have a near-complete roster. I see the Bills doing neither. Which is fine, I suppose. I don't see us going anywhere with the current roster even with did spend a bit on FAs. Might as well conserve the money for when we become competitive.

So if the $10 million rollover is only good for 2013, just $7 million for draft picks, that leaves very little to re-sign CJ and Wood to longer higher contracts. If I understand this cap limit. I think Fitz counts $7 million yet in 2014. We don't have much room unless we cut more players.

It's imperative that we resign Byrd. Even if he gets paid more than Goldson. He's a turnover machine. Turnovers win games. We simply cannot let him walk.

I'm still going with the thought, that Byrd is about more than just the money. He wants to win.He said as much after last season. Currently he is unsigned and tagged by a franchise with a long ugly history of losing. Honestly, who could blame the guy for wanting out? So far publicly at least he has not demanded a sign and trade. There would be nothing shocking if that occurred though.

What needs to happen is get Mario's big ass contract off this team. It was pure stupidty to sign him to that in the first place and sooner than later it is going to handicap us.

You do understand his contract was basically a two year deal?

I'm not clear what they are going to do with the $10m rollover from last year... maybe offer 2-4 FAs a guaranteed one year deal or maybe restructure a couple of current player deals in order to move money into the 2013 cap to take the hit now.

by not biting the bullet on fitzs dead money this year, i will hope that they actually spend the dollars on free agency. otherwise, disappointment galore.

honestly the last few years arent even that painful cash wise, as a lot of it was upfront and guaranteed.

Cap space should not be a problem... By doing long term deals with Byrd, Wood and Spiller they can structure those deals to give them more cap space flexibility... Hopefully, Wood can stay healthy all season...

They really need to hit on their top 3 picks in the draft... They haven't been doing that in Buddy's 1st 3 drafts...

Though his contract escalates after 2 years, it can hardly be considered a two year deal.

If he is cut after this season he will count as 11.4m dead cap in 2014.