ISRAEL has apologised for the deaths of nine Turkish citizens in floti

Obama brokers end to diplomatic freeze between Israel, Turkey over Gaza flotilla deaths

ISRAEL has apologised for the deaths of nine Turkish citizens in a flotilla that attempted to break Israel's naval blockade of Gaza in 2010.

Following the apology, Turkey immediately agreed to resume diplomatic relations.

The end of the three-year diplomatic freeze between two of the key countries in the Middle East was brokered by President Obama.

The breakthrough came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday morning Australian time telephoned his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Mr Netanyahu apologised for the deaths of the nine Turkish activists who were killed after the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) boarded the Mavi Marmara, a boat in the Gaza flotilla.

After that incident, claims and counter claims were made - Turkey argued that the IDF had used excessive force that led to the deaths in international waters while Israel argued that the soldiers were ambushed when they boarded the boat and the nine were killed in self defence.

Both sides used video from the event to support their claims.

After Mr Netanyahu made the apology, Turkey immediately responded by announcing it would resume full diplomatic relations.

Mr Netanyahu made the phone call about the same time that Mr Obama flew from Tel Aviv to Jordan after a three-day visit to Israel and the West Bank.

It is understood Mr Obama stressed to Mr Netanyahu that with the deterioration in Syria - which both Israel and Turkey border - that the two countries needed to end the freeze.

The resumption of diplomatic relations means Israel and Turkey can plan together for any contingencies that may occur as Syria's civil war worsens.

The two possible occurrences that both countries need to prepare for are an increased flow of refugees and the possible use of chemical weapons.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/obama-brokers-end-to-diplomatic-freeze-between-israel-turkey-over-gaza-flotilla-deaths/story-e6frg6so-1226603952915

im not sure i believe that obama 'brokered' this deal but whatever

the point is you may recall israel flatly refusing to apologize over this incident. now they finally do, everybody moves on, and it gets this kind of back-page stealth coverage

i think both sides getting some blame in this is appropriate. allegedly peaceful flotilla members should never have physically assaulted the soldiers. and the isreali military has to be prepared for unreasonably aggressive demonstrators and not give them the opportunity for bad behavior to get out of control

and since im trying to do a better job pretending im republican, i blame obama for everything

Well I will give it to you F//k Off leave your politics out of this. Being a Republican and a Bills fan have a lot in common. Used to loosing big these days.

We're all losers with Obama's victory. I wonder what clusterphuck like the ACA he'll come up with next?

So will the Obama Administration compel Erdogan to make amends with Israel?

Will he apologize to Netanyahu for calling Zionism “a crime against humanity”?

Not a chance in hell. He certainly wouldn’t do it on his own because he would lose face with his people. In effect, despite being admonished by the U.S. for his rhetoric against Israel, Erdogan has now been effectively rewarded for it. As such, he will continue to use anti-Israel and anti-Semitic rhetoric for his political gain.

The end result will be a further deteoriation between Israel and Turkey while both weakening Netanyahu and once again making the Obama Administration look foolish in the Middle East.

http://spectator.org/blog/2013/03/22/why-israels-apology-to-turkey

Next up: Obama forces Israel to apologize to the Palestinians for putting towns in the way of their perfectly innocent rocket tests.

Tests that repeatedly can't hit their intended target. Reminds me of a NoJustice post.