Donald Jones is a New England Patriot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly anybody cared when we cut Jones.

Just about everybody grabbed their pitchforks and torches when we cut Nelson.

Look who's on a roster first.

Look who's on the roster of a top-3 NFL team.

Hopefully this puts the Nelson argument to rest.

Not really sure what Jones being on a roster before Nelson has to do with anything. I mean, Greg Jennings isn't on a roster yet, is he?

If he makes the team, he is going to be a baller under Brady. Predicting 750+ yards, 4 TD's. We don't have a number 2 receiver and there were tons out there to be had, including re-signing Jones. I feel for the new QB who gets to throw to Stevie Johnson and.....

...Frank Lewis

Chad Rinehart signed before Brandon Moore. Does that put the Brandon Moore argument to rest? Jerraud Powers signed before Aqib Talib. Yeremiah Bell signed before Ed Reed. That's kind of a foolish argument. It doesn't at all mean who is better, especially because Nelson is coming off a major surgery and season ending injury.

Not really sure what Jones being on a roster before Nelson has to do with anything. I mean, Greg Jennings isn't on a roster yet, is he?

Chad Rinehart signed before Brandon Moore. Does that put the Brandon Moore argument to rest? Jerraud Powers signed before Aqib Talib. Yeremiah Bell signed before Ed Reed. That's kind of a foolish argument. It doesn't at all mean who is better, especially because Nelson is coming off a major surgery and season ending injury.

Jones/Nelson = apples. Jennings = oranges.

Rinehart = apples. Moore = oranges.

Jones/Nelson are the same age, were both UDFA's and both come with approximately the same price tag--all factors that separate the examples you guys have provided.

Thank you. Not to mention that most or all of Jones' best games in the past 2 years were against the Pats, and he killed them last year. Nelson doesn't have any good performances fresh in anyone's mind.

Jones/Nelson = apples. Jennings = oranges.

Rinehart = apples. Moore = oranges.

Jones/Nelson are the same age, were both UDFA's and both come with approximately the same price tag--all factors that separate the examples you guys have provided.

It doesn't matter. Do you really think that one guy signing first has anything whatsoever to do with their talent? Jones on the Patriots fills a small specific need: a tough physical guy on the outside who can block. Nelson on the Patriots doesn't make nearly as much sense: a skinny tall seam route runner down the middle (they have 3-4 of these guys already).

I don't see how it does. I expect Nelson to be snatched up once he proves he's healthy, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if both Jones and Nelson become successful and productive role players elsehwere.

And this signing does piss me off. We don't even have a #2 WR on the roster, and Jones is good enough to compete for NE's 3rd or 4th spot? Explain to me how Buddy Nix planned for this offseason. What was his plan? He let Jones and Nelson walk, ok, fine - did he anticpate last season that he might be doing that? If so, why didn't he make a more aggressive effort to acquire their replacements? Or was TJ Graham thought to be the next in line? (I doubt it.)

And for those of you saying these are Marrone's calls - I'm interested to hear what you're basing this theory on. So far during free agency we've heard nothing from Marrone. Nor does he appear to be attending the important pro days with Nix and Whaley, for some odd reason (he's not in Arkansas with them right now, for example). I feel assured that he's having any input whatsoever about how this roster is being constructed. Hopefully he is, but it would be nice to hear from him.

Oh and btw, I believe Kamar Aiken is also on the Patriots' roster. But I'm sure that these are just more examples of Nix the Great Talent Evaluator knowing better than teams like the Patriots.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Best of luck to Donald jones, I always liked him. I was sad to hear when we let him go and now I have a sinking feeling hell be featured in that offense and really blossom. Oh well, that's the life of a bills fan

Patriots might also be trying the sign Emmanuel Sanders from the Steelers and have him in town today. That would drastically cut into Jones potential playing time unless they just cut Brandon Lloyd, which IMO would be unlikely but possible. The Patsies do bring a ton of players in to evaluate, which they can afford to because players want to be there because of the success and potential SB run.

Patriots might also be trying the sign Emmanuel Sanders from the Steelers and have him in town today. That would drastically cut into Jones potential playing time unless they just cut Brandon Lloyd, which IMO would be unlikely but possible. The Patsies do bring a ton of players in to evaluate, which they can afford to because players want to be there because of the success and potential SB run.

Wow, Sanders is a 3rd round tender - would leave Pats with a 1st, 2nd, and 7th?

They will (or already have?) cut Lloyd, who apparently was a huge problem in the locker room last year (probably lots of wet towel whipping and purple nurples).

They will (or already have?) cut Lloyd, who apparently was a huge problem in the locker room last year (probably lots of wet towel whipping and purple nurples).

I heard he used to give swirlies to Welker on a regular basis, and that's why Welker left.