Serious Question about underclass college QB's

Ennjay

A lot of people say that next year's draft (2014) will have better QB's in it. Who are the one-year-away quarterbacks that we should be looking forward to?

Really -- I can't think off the top of my head who is so good but not draftable this year. Does anyone on this board know who "they" are talking about?

(And don't forget that once upon a time people were looking forward to when Matt Barkley and Landry Jones would hit the draft . . .)

Aaron Murray will definitely be next year. Its more than likely Johnny Manziel will declare. Probably Teddy Bridgewater from Louisville too. That's all I know off the top of my head

Everyone knows Manziel and I've seen some of Bridgewater. I know next to nothing about Aaron Murray. Anybody here have anything to say about him?

I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Murray. Reminds me of Brees. Taj Boyd's another prospect.

Edit: Some guys are high on AJ McCarron, but I can't say I'm one of them, but I may change my tune next year.

Edited by Rob's House

Murray stayed another season because he was seen (at the time of his decision at least) to not be one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class and projected in the 2-4 range. I'd be surprised if he climbed up over Johnny, Bridgewater, and Boyd next season, but you never know. I always liked him myself. AJ is so hard to tell because Alabama is so run heavy that there is really little display of his talents. From what I see, he looked darn good last year though. I'm wondering if Manziel doesn't grow a bit if his size will knock him out of the #1 slot.

And yes, it would be very tough to pass on Clowney at #1. No QB this year, #1 pick next year and they go Clowney this place might just incinerate.

It's just my opinion...But I think the three to watch closely are Manziel, Bridgewater, and McCarron...They will all have eligibility left after next season, so it's hard to say all 3 will come out...But...I think if things go right for all 3, and they all come out, that's 3 QB's who can go in the Top 10...In fact...I think all 3 might have higher grades than any QB in the upcoming Draft right now...Without playing another College game...There is also David Fales, who some believe will be the top QB available in the 2014 Draft...Fales is a Sr in 2013, so he's in the next draft for sure...

So there is at least a possibility that the Top 10 could be very talent rich at QB in the 2014 Draft...Then you add Murray...Who I think should be at least a 2nd Round pick...Boyd could move up into the 2nd Round area...Logan Thomas could rise by showing he has a clue...I'm sure there are a couple others I'm forgetting... B-)

Murray stayed another season because he was seen (at the time of his decision at least) to not be one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class and projected in the 2-4 range. I'd be surprised if he climbed up over Johnny, Bridgewater, and Boyd next season, but you never know. I always liked him myself. AJ is so hard to tell because Alabama is so run heavy that there is really little display of his talents. From what I see, he looked darn good last year though. I'm wondering if Manziel doesn't grow a bit if his size will knock him out of the #1 slot.

And yes, it would be very tough to pass on Clowney at #1. No QB this year, #1 pick next year and they go Clowney this place might just incinerate.

I think Murray really thinks he can win something at UGA as well. The way that SEC championship game ended has to leave a terrible taste in his mouth. Especially since for 3 seasons the big knock in him was not showing up in big games

I think Murray really thinks he can win something at UGA as well. The way that SEC championship game ended has to leave a terrible taste in his mouth. Especially since for 3 seasons the big knock in him was not showing up in big games

Very true, but I think that if was told he was the #1 QB prospect this year he would have bolted.

The following teams are without franchise QBs: Arizona, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Kansas City. The QB this year is viewed as average at best. Alot like the 2007 draft lead by JaMarcus Russell. That draft had no QB that has sustained success as a starter. In the 2011 draft Gabbert was viewed as a possible franchise QB but the questions about him prior to his draft have proven to be true as a pro. Cassell has shown that he is a quality back up and not a starter. Arizona and Buffalo will trake QBs this year. Next year Philadephia, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cleveland and NY Jets maybe in the market for a new starting QB, Those teams will be in position to draft a better QB than wasting a pick this year.

The following teams are without franchise QBs: Arizona, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Kansas City. The QB this year is viewed as average at best. Alot like the 2007 draft lead by JaMarcus Russell. That draft had no QB that has sustained success as a starter. In the 2011 draft Gabbert was viewed as a possible franchise QB but the questions about him prior to his draft have proven to be true as a pro. Cassell has shown that he is a quality back up and not a starter. Arizona and Buffalo will trake QBs this year. Next year Philadephia, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cleveland and NY Jets maybe in the market for a new starting QB, Those teams will be in position to draft a better QB than wasting a pick this year.

Since when do the Jets, Browns, and Raiders have "franchise QBs"?

I actually agree with this point. Looks like much better QB prospects this year. If we don't get Geno at 8 I hope we go BPA 1-2 and take a QB in the 3rd

Since when do the Jets, Browns, and Raiders have "franchise QBs"?

The Jets have committed to Sanchez for this year, Cleveland used a first on Weeden last year and Oakland has Palmer and Pryor has been groomed to be the next QB.

The Jets have committed to Sanchez for this year, Cleveland used a first on Weeden last year and Oakland has Palmer and Pryor has been groomed to be the next QB.

Cleveland has new management and coaching, Sanchez is awful, and Palmer might get cut. Each of those teams could draft a QB in the first, as could Philly.