FREE AGENCY THREAD

First of all, thanks very much Big Cat for the graphic. Much appreciated.

Also, I agree 100% with Jamie Nails' opinion of Miami's free agent signings and losses. As I said before, Jeff Ireland is still the GM there so like in Buffalo, why suddenly expect success?

Finally the Dolphins are trying to get approval of a $400 million stadium upgrade and have to make a lot of noise in order to drum up excitement and support. This is a very similar dynamic to that which drove the Jets to find themselves in the mess they're in right now. I would characterize Miami's signing strategy as "circus-like."

The jets signed Willie Colon to a one year deal. I actually like that because it likely means Moore isn't coming back and he's the guy I want.

I thought the same thing when I heard the news. Wishful thinking perhaps.

So Elvis Dumerville agreed to a salary reduction from 12m to 8m but the Broncos didn't get it into the league office in time. So he had to be released. I assume all this means is that in one day they will re-sign him to whatever they agreed on, but who knows. He's a vested vet and no one would take him for his salary anyway.

EDIT: And now they say that the dead money cap hit because of the release will make it hard for them to offer the same deal they just agreed on. Hmmmm...

As you know, Dumervil might not end up in Denver but he won't end up in Buffalo either. Hopefully he ends up in the NFC.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Graham tweeted that he was told the Bills never called Gibson. Apparently, not interested.

This is getting strange, if not disconcerting.

And Graham was told that Gibson really wanted to play with Stevie Johnson.

What is going on at OBD.?

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Now one-year deals starting to pile up, showing the free-agent market has shifted from shopping at Saks to shopping at Filene's.

The jets signed Willie Colon to a one year deal. I actually like that because it likely means Moore isn't coming back and he's the guy I want.

Agreed. I said when it looked like they'd lose Levitre that I wanted them to sign the Brandons...Moore (OG) & Myers (TE).

Not unless we get guaranteed performance. Damn,we'd still be paying for Langston Walker.

I just think it's highly inequitable that the guys in the MLB, NHL, and NBA all get guaranteed contracts.

If those guys didn't then I wouldn't think it so injust that the NFL players don't.

My points being that in the hypothetical perfect world, all the leagues should be the same (guaranteed or non-guaranteed) and that it's sad that the athletes with the highest risk (NFL) have the lowest financial security.

NFL Management Council figures show KC and Tenn had approximately the same cap room as the Bills. ( http://www.cbssports...ng-but-concrete) Those 2 teams have been active players while the Bills plod along. Tortoise vs Hare. If Nix and company don't sign more than 1 free agent, Bills fans will not be happy. There will be no hope going into the draft that this team will be a winner this year.

Well there you have it. We have our answer for the 2013 season right here. Right before your very eyes. Excuse me while I down a bottle of Queludes. (sp?). Our TBD posters should coach the team. After all, they know WAY more than the front office. After all, its not about winning. Its about keeping a bunch of clue-less fans happy. Yea, thats the ticket ! LMFAO !!

jb

Well there you have it. We have our answer for the 2013 season right here. Right before your very eyes. Excuse me while I down a bottle of Queludes. (sp?). Our TBD posters should coach the team. After all, they know WAY more than the front office. After all, its not about winning. Its about keeping a bunch of clue-less fans happy. Yea, thats the ticket ! LMFAO !!

jb

If you're gonna do a bottle of quaaludes, make sure you don't consume alcohol with them.

Elway released a statement on Elvis, who has apparently left the building.

“For the last week,

Elvis Dumervilicon-article-link.gif and his agent were aware of our desire to change the financial terms of his contract to ensure he would remain a Denver Bronco. After numerous conversations with both Elvis and his representative, we submitted our final contract proposal to Elvis today at 11 a.m. MDT. Based on our previous discussions, we believed our offer was fair and were hopeful it would resolve this matter.

“Due to the procedural elements that were involved in executing the new proposal, we imposed a 1 p.m. MDT deadline for a decision, one hour before the NFL’s waiver wire at 2 p.m. MDT. Our deadline was clearly communicated to Elvis’ representative.

“At 1 p.m. MDT, we were informed by Elvis’ representative that he declined our offer. We then prepared Elvis’ termination notice to officially file his release with the NFL office.

“At approximately 1:25 p.m. MDT, however, we were informed that Elvis changed his mind and accepted the same contract we proposed nearly two-and-a-half hours earlier. Although we expressed our concern regarding the time constraints, we were assured that the signed documents would be submitted to us before the league’s waiver deadline.

“We did not receive the documents from Elvis by the league’s deadline and were forced to release him shortly before 2 p.m. MDT.

“Due to this situation, there are now salary cap implications associated with this transaction that we must consider with regard to potentially re-signing Elvis. At this moment, we are discussing all of our free-agency options to determine what’s best for the Denver Broncos.”

I can't help but notice from this graphic display, just how abysmally bad we are at free agency. :bag:

Exactly! Because the good teams on that graphic display signed so many more than us! Balt (1) Sea (2), SF (1), PIT (2), GB (0), HOU (0), CIn (1), ATL (1)

I kid. I kid. We need more help than them. I get it.

I can't help but notice from this graphic display, just how abysmally bad we are at free agency. :bag:

The takeaway for me is that like the Bills, 10 teams have signed only one free agent.

In addition, there are 5 teams who have signed zero free agents.

So half the league's teams have signed either zero or 1 free agent.

The takeaway for me is that like the Bills, 10 teams have signed only one free agent.

In addition, there are 5 teams who have signed zero free agents.

So half the league's teams have signed either zero or 1 free agent.

But we start in the hole having lost Levitre and our starting QB. We need two big signings just to stay even.

But we start in the hole having lost Levitre and our starting QB. We need two big signings just to stay even.

I agree however the QB will come in the draft most likely.

The Bills have a hole at guard and at other positions and I certainly wish they'd have been one player more aggressive than they have to this point.

Their inactivity and silence is very intriguing to me actually.

I'm not totally convinced it's a bad thing but it may be.

I agree however the QB will come in the draft most likely.

The Bills have a hole at guard and at other positions and I certainly wish they'd have been one player more aggressive than they have to this point.

Their inactivity and silence is very intriguing to me actually.

I'm not totally convinced it's a bad thing but it may be.

Agree we'll take a QB (or two) in the draft, but that leaves another position of need unaddresed with a 1st/2d rd pick.

Well here's hoping for the best. Draft day coming soon.

Well there you have it. We have our answer for the 2013 season right here. Right before your very eyes. Excuse me while I down a bottle of Queludes. (sp?). Our TBD posters should coach the team. After all, they know WAY more than the front office. After all, its not about winning. Its about keeping a bunch of clue-less fans happy. Yea, thats the ticket ! LMFAO

jb

Coach? I was pointing out differing philosophies. I am not in agreement with the Bills style of a slow approach. It is obvious if they don't sign free agents, that the all the holes on the team will not be filled with draft picks. Thus the opinion that the Bills will not be a winner this season.

Many of the teams that have not been particularly active in free agency (i.e., Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, New Orleans and Houston) have significant cap issues. Cinci and Jacksonville have cap space and have done little so far.