I dont understand any of this cut Fitz talk

Its easy...and sexy..... to blame the QB for EVERYTHING that is wrong with a football team. Thats what clue-less folks do. Especially for Buffalo.

Our problems start with Fitz. And...you all know it. But complaining on the Bills chat site is what gets hits so why not say its all the defense's fault right ?

With an improved QB the defense is good enough to take us past 7 wins and I'll take that all day long at this point.

jb

I agree

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fitz is a Bill in 2013, guarantee they do not even sniff the playoffs for a 14th consecutive year and will not have anywhere close to a winning record. They can save $7 million in real money by cutting him. Take the $10 mil dead cap hit and move on. They will never ever ever win anything with Fitzpatrick at QB. Anyone thinks so....well....good luck with that.

If Pettine turns out to be what he's been hyped as and we have a top 15 defense, I could see the Bill's breaking even. I'm conflicted as to whether our offense will be better or worse with Fitz under Marrone than with Chan. I did feel like Chan got the most out of Fitz but I do think Marrone can run the offense better overall than Chan did.

I agree with the pet tine comment as Wanny was the worst. We'll be better from scheme alone. As far as Fitz, what can you do. If you keep him it's 10.45 mil against the cap. You dump him and it's 10 mil against the cap. He won't restructure as he knows he has the Bills by the cahones. Way to go Boss Hog for creating that contract.

There is a misunderstanding we save 3 mil if we cut him today. That's not the case. we're stuck and he knows it so he won't restructure this year. He'll keep the money, and be the highest paid backup next year (2014) for 4 mil with a contender with a mobile QB as they get hurt more.

Dont do it. No brees fitz mentions together please.

Ne pats d was bad but he still couldn't pull it off when mattered Thank leodis and Lindell for beating Miami (remember that fitz?)

Seattle fitz. Indy must win fitz (terrible defense) sf 49ers fitz. Houston fitz jets fitz

That fitz.

Its easy...and sexy..... to blame the QB for EVERYTHING that is wrong with a football team. Thats what clue-less folks do. Especially for Buffalo.

Our problems are rooted WAY deeper than Fitz. And...you all know it. But complaining on the Bills chat site is what gets hits so why not say its all fitz's fault right ?

Fitz will be a Bill this year. You heard it here first. Like it or not, he's a Bill. For 2013. Will he start ? I hope not, but I hope so if we draft one of these scrubs. I want to see this team win some games. Fitz aint the guy I get that. But he is the best option for 2013. With an improved defense he is good enough to take us one level deep in the playoffs and I'll take that all day long at this point.

jb

This is a form of quitting. How can you say that he "aint the guy" and call him the best option for 2013. Best option for what exactly? To me he is the best option to keep us out of contention for next years top QBs. One and done in the playoffs is nothing to aspire to unless you prefer to lose in front of a bigger audience. I don't share that point of view. If your gonna lose, lose big. In the NFL it actually helps your odds the next season.

Fitz not being on a playoff team does not equate Fitz being unable to be on a playoff team. That gets back to the assumption that the QB position is the only problem on this team.

We have no LBs, we have poor CBs, we have an underperforming DL. We have an OL that can't pass block for longer than three seconds, we have no real WR talent other than Stevie, and he can only get open underneath usually, we have no play making TE, and we have one RB who can make plays in an open field but can't get really get tough yards reliably. On top of all of that, our starting QB is about average, and forces too many bad throws.

So with all these holes, focusing on the QB position when there isn't much to fill it with seems to be counter productive.

I hate when people say because someone wants to dump Fitz that they believe he is the only problem with the team. We get it, the defense sucked last year. You can not however dump the whole defense. The defensive scheme sucked and the D coordinator sucked and we have already changed those two things. The QB also sucked and he has fully demonstrated that he is not capable of consistently good play at the position. Time to dump him. As stated, I would prefer to sign Jason Campbell in FA and draft the best of the top five QB's, whomever is available in RD2. In round 1, take BPA.

I agree with the pet tine comment as Wanny was the worst. We'll be better from scheme alone. As far as Fitz, what can you do. If you keep him it's 10.45 mil against the cap. You dump him and it's 10 mil against the cap. He won't restructure as he knows he has the Bills by the cahones. Way to go Boss Hog for creating that contract.

There is a misunderstanding we save 3 mil if we cut him today. That's not the case. we're stuck and he knows it so he won't restructure this year. He'll keep the money, and be the highest paid backup next year (2014) for 4 mil with a contender with a mobile QB as they get hurt more.

i don't think you understand the payments. they DO save money if they cut him, of course they do... otherwise today would not mean anything. not against the cap this year, but real money. that still matters. plus, at least he would be gone, off the books by next year. keep him, and there will be a cap hit in 2014 as well.

and he doesn't have us by anything. if he gets cut, he is not making as much anywhere else as here. he loses money if cut, AND has less chance of playing.

There are no quarterbacks in this draft, and no quarterbacks available in free agency.

Fitz is the best option, unless you guys are trying to find a gimmick QB or something like that.

I'm as frustrated as any of you guys with Fitz's turnovers, but seriously, there is no Flutie salted away in Canada and no Shotgun Kelly coming out of the USFL at this point.

I'd dump him like a horse with a broken leg if it was last year's draft.

I'm a Syracuse fan so I can say this with confidence... If Nassib, is ranked just as highly as any of these other guys ... cough cough ... it's definitely THE YEAR to not draft a QB.

remember if Marrone's first yr at syracuse he recruited and had a qb named paulus who had not played football in 4 years and started every game and was very succesful. i don't think marrone would have any issue starting a rookie at qb for the bills next year if he thought jackson/fitz were not answeres.

I hate when people say because someone wants to dump Fitz that they believe he is the only problem with the team. We get it, the defense sucked last year. You can not however dump the whole defense. The defensive scheme sucked and the D coordinator sucked and we have already changed those two things. The QB also sucked and he has fully demonstrated that he is not capable of consistently good play at the position. Time to dump him. As stated, I would prefer to sign Jason Campbell in FA and draft the best of the top five QB's, whomever is available in RD2. In round 1, take BPA.

Listen, I don't think Fitz is a great QB, hes probably about average overall. My point in this thread is that, imo, there aren't any FA options who are clearly better than him overall (Campbell certainly has a better arm, but I don't think he works as well under pressure or reads defenses as well). So cutting him now before we have a line on a FA that we think is better, or before the draft, to me would be risky. More importantly, though, our team has so many other holes that if we get too caught up on marginal improvement at QB we risk opportunities elsewhere.

We don't have any clear cut QB options this year, maybe a couple in the draft, but they might not be available when we pick. Are you prepared to head into camp with TJax as our only QB?

Edited by Dorkington

Dudes... Fitz is not the Bills worst enemy. The defense is. Trust me. I watched them play. They gave up 27 points per game. There were only three offenses that put up more points than that. If you ding the s#it out of Fitz for incompletions and picks then you have to acknowledge missed blocks that contributed to them, dropped passes, a certain veteran rb that fumbled a few times in crunch time, and a certain HC that had lost the locker room before midseason.

I think most of us get that Fitz is not our QB of the future and that he is only going to get this team so far. But the blood thirsty Fitz mob needs to take it down a couple of notches and learn to live with the reality that Fitz is going to be the Bills QB.

Jeesuz... we get it. he sux get over it. We freakin agree. We know it, you know it, God knows it. THE BILLS DO NOT HAVE A BETTER ANSWER.... PERIOD. And simple math 101.... when you are a team that has a lot of holes plus want to be a player in free agency, plus re-sign some of your own players, you do not want to take a $10m cap hit to give you a "woody" and then turn around and spend another $7m on a flippin starting QB that sux as bad or more than Fitz.

Summary... we get it. Fitz sux and you want him gone. Aint happening this year unless they find a CLEARLY (CLEARLY) BETTER (BETTER) answer..... GET OVER IT AND LET IT GO.

PS... go get Brady Quinn, Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, Matt Cassel, Shaun Hill... What do you gain but another stupid cap maneuver? PS... there is no QB Fairy. The QB Fairy does not exist and is not going to leave an elite QB under your pillow!!!!!!

Our problems are rooted WAY deeper than Fitz. And...you all know it. But complaining on the Bills chat site is what gets hits so why not say its all fitz's fault right ?

Fitz will be a Bill this year. You heard it here first. Like it or not, he's a Bill. For 2013. Will he start ? I hope not, but I hope so if we draft one of these scrubs. I want to see this team win some games. Fitz aint the guy I get that. But he is the best option for 2013. With an improved defense he is good enough to take us one level deep in the playoffs and I'll take that all day long at this point.

jb

We were VERY close to winning 3 games (that we ended up losing). Even with a mediocre QB. Hell if we won those games we might have even had a shot at the playoffs. Yes, I saw the turnovers. Yes I saw the bad pass routes run by a totally pathetic group of receivers. Listen. I am not saying Fitz is Joe Montana. He's an average QB IMO. I think he could be a pretty good QB...if he had someone to throw to besides the triple covered SJ. He gets rid of the ball quick......and on target in the short game. Very important in a WC scheme. Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it....and then we have to read all of this crap all over again next year ! LOL !

Dude I just want this team to win. Thats all. I hope I'm wrong but I don't have a warm fuzzy about any of the QB's available via FA, or the draft. Good God I would love some Crow right now !

jb

Fitz will be back. Period!! This team has too many holes to fill with all the cuts and retirements. Couple this with only six draft picks, you won't see two QBs drafted. Maybe a UDFA afterwards is brought in. There won't be any Mario Williams type signings in FA this year. Plan on second and third tier bandaids. I agree with marauderswr80 that Fitz has the team by the balls. Terrible contract they gave him.

Fellas, our own GM thinks he's a handcuff:

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something,

or we'll have to."

"We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

Edited by Marauder24

I totally agree, it is a cop out. Everyone who follows this team knows there are a ton of holes to fill, but this team isn't going anywhere until the find they guy for the most important position on the team. Is he the only problem, No, of course not, but compare it to a car with a dead engine, and several other problems too. It doesn't matter how many of the other problems you fix, the car isn't going anywhere until you replace the engine-the QB is the engine of a team. Edited by BuffBill

The Bills lost to NE, not Fitz. Fitz didn't fumble on the 1 yard line or give up 37 points. He didn't run the wrong route on the last play. In fact, he threw for 337 yards and 2 TDs.

QB is the most important position in football, but it is far from the only position of consequence either.

Did anyone happen to notice what Drew Bree did during the playoffs on a team with a bad defense and bad coaching this year? Oh yeah, he watched them on his couch with a big bowl of popcorn, just like Fitz did.

I am for upgrading all positions on the team this off season including QB.

Did I say Fitz lost the game?? I believe I said Fitz had a chance to win the game at the end . He blew it. Forget the playcall. It was terrible. I bet Jim Kelly would have changed the play at the line.

My point is why play Fitz if he can't get it done. He can get you 6-7 wins. You know where we will be picking in the draft next year. Prolly the same place 8-10.

We are better off moving forward. I don't care about stats as some of you guys do. We want to win. And Fitz doesnt win enough.

Look, I don't think that anyone here thinks that Fitz is solely responsible for our failures and successes. But the truth of the matter is that we saw Chan Gailey use Fitz about as well as he could possibly be used, and it simply isn't good enough. Metzelaars pretty much summed it up: Fitz is an average to below average QB. You can win with an average QB if you have a dominating defense. We didn't, not will we this year, even with Pettine. I do see the line of reasoning in "Fitz isn't the best long term solution, but he's the best for now"...in fact, I used it last season quite a bit.

Marrone has zero obligation to or history with the man. Marrone and Hackett are bringing in their own system, and all signs are pointing to it being very West Coast Offense, which relies on very accurate passing. All that does matter, and *should* matter is whether he thinks Fitz is capable of running his scheme. Nix's comments released today do not bear that up.

It's shocking and sad to me that this is even a topic.

Yes the Bills have a many holes, especially on D. But until you fix the problem occupying the #1 position on any football team you are just spinning your wheels. To just "let it ride" for another season with Fitzpatrick is not an answer.

To the OP: there are at least a half dozen QBs in this draft I'd take over Fitzpatrick. I'd rather attempt to move forward than continue on this path. I'm fully aware there is no guarantee a rookie QB will work out, but if he falls flat on his face you draft another QB in 2014. If the Redskins can draft 2 QBs in the same draft I don't find it shocking to draft QBs in consecutive drafts.

Every year it's the same story on this board. Every excuse under the sun is used to explain away why the Bills can't draft a QB in that year. It's always wait until next year to get the QB. Couple years ago you could find more than a few threads against drafting Newton. Luck was questioned as being overhyped. Washington was laughed at here for moving so much to acquire RGIII.

Time for the Bills to move forward.