McKelvin re-signed

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can come up with is that he said it so McKelvin wouldnt be insulted when they came in with an offer equal to/lower than his previous contract. And based on the little we know, it looks like a former 1st round CB re-signed for about the same deal as his rookie contract, just shortened one year.

My thinking is the coaches clearly believe in him. He's not a bad cover corner, he just really struggles to play the ball in the air. Often takes himself out of position. Pettine and company must think this is fixable, who are we to argue? I can also say this, we could have benched EVERY corner on this team last year if we wanted to, it certainly would have been warranted. Also, we're playing a new scheme, maybe mcKelvin is a better fit for this.

Well done Mike in Syracuse. Oddly enough my name is Mike and we share the same city. Kudos to us. As for the "decision" to take McKelvin over Andy. I'm okay with it. Guys who can cover are always more valued over interior linemen, who tend to be very replaceable.

Resign a liability at CB over your best O lneman?

If this coaching staff believes McLuvin is the answer at CB, we are in for another long season. If as a nickel back, probably OK.

We will see, unless any one else has additional details or info.

Somebody on the coaching staff will instruct him to put his hands up and try to knock down some passes. He's usually right on the receiver, but he forgets that he has those tools attached to his shoulders. He was a first round pick with obvious skills.

Besides, everybody on the planet knows the key to pass coverage starts with pressure on the QB. Pettine will take care of this, and McKelvin will be fine. I also believe this will motivate Aaron Williams to become a better player. He has skills too! And Ron Brooks. We just need one more safety. Landry.

We all agree that the guy has had a bunch oh boners coaching him on D, yet we also agree that they knew precisely how and where to coach Leodis McKelvin, and that any performance that belied his value as the no. 8 overall pick is on him and only him.

That makes NO sense. Pick one reality and go with it.

This is a great signing for the Bills. Leodis brings it on gameday, he brings an intensity and a passion that very few of our defenders have during his tenure. He also has the kind of size and athleticism that one can only be born with.

If Mike Pettine has confidence in him, and NOT Wilson/Barnett, then I trust this staff--unlike their predecessors will tap much of Leodis' as-yet un-realized potential.

Over reaction crowd.. C'mon everyone knows that his contract is $20 million but how much in guaranteed money how much in bonuses and incentives.

His cap number will be much less then $5 million

McKelvin did well in nickel coverage last year. His weakness was the outside, and his consistency in returns is solid

We can agree to disagree on whether McKelvin is worth the money, but I strongly disagree with posts that suggest finding guards is easier than other positions. My recollection is that before Levitre we had almost 10 years of really poor o-line play, including at the guard position. Dockery, Pucillo, Villarial, Tucker, Gandy, B. Anderson and the list goes on and on (there is a reason why you may not have heard these names in a long time).

If this coaching staff believes McLuvin is the answer at CB, we are in for another long season. If as a nickel back, probably OK.

And you think with ol' andy at guard we're in for a great season? hardly the case. the team clearly believes that there is no reason to overpay a guard when they are easily the most replaceable pieces on the offensive line. i'd rather hope the coaches are right in thinking they can polish mckelvin up and make him the corner his talent indicates he could be. new coaches, new system. players will look different doing different things. andy is a good player but he's hardly the difference between us making the playoffs or missing them.

We can agree to disagree on whether McKelvin is worth the money, but I strongly disagree with posts that suggest finding guards is easier than other positions. My recollection is that before Levitre we had almost 10 years of really poor o-line play, including at the guard position. Dockery, Pucillo, Villarial, Tucker, Gandy, B. Anderson and the list goes on and on (there is a reason why you may not have heard these names in a long time).

so because our past front offices have overpaid mediocre players(dockery) or grabbed guys at the end of their rope(villarial, tucker, anderson) guard are really hard to replace? maybe in buffalo. and btw, all those guards you listed won just as many games as the *great* andy levitre did here in buffalo.

Who said signing McKelvin was done over signing Levitre? They had an opportunity to sign McKelvin and did it, which has absolutely nothing to do with signing Levitre. Levitre is going to test FA, it's come from his own mouth. Hell, he might be stupid not to. But IMO, if he's going for huge OG money, he's not worth it.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The only thing I can come up with is that he said it so McKelvin wouldnt be insulted when they came in with an offer equal to/lower than his previous contract. And based on the little we know, it looks like a former 1st round CB re-signed for about the same deal as his rookie contract, just shortened one year. So I have to imagine the Bills came in with something lower initially, right around the time Buddy made that statement.

I'm not gonna give Nix that much credit. I think I will stick with the idea that he stuck his foot in his mouth

7.5 million guaranteed, over four years, for a top return man/solid cornerback is a good deal.

Umm, you make it appear as if its 7.5 million paid over four years. That's not how it works. It's just guaranteed for 7.5 million. Big difference

Would have rather given a contract like that to Cris Gamble who was just released from carolina. .oh well.....spending money the wrong way seems like buffalos Mo these days...first fitz now this...

7.5 M is all that's promised to Mckelvin. hardly a kings ransom. without him CB becomes a huge need and we'd probably have to spend one of our top 3 picks on that spot. this allows us to get help in several of our other need areas. hardly spending the wrong way.

Anyone who doesn't see the contract is likely incentive laden is foolish. This has to be in the realm of $3mm guaranteed with escalators clauses; starts, INT's, TD's, etc. I also think he doesn't start at CB, and will not reach those goals. Our new CB will be in the draft, I think we're out of the business of bringing in FA CB's.

Hey, Don't get in the way of a good ole pitchforking! Without Kelsay, McKelvin is a prime target for unreasonable hate!

Umm, you make it appear as if its 7.5 million paid over four years. That's not how it works. It's just guaranteed for 7.5 million. Big difference

What I meant is that it isn't, say, 7.5 guaranteed over a two year deal, for example.