NFL team in LA pretty much dead....

I doubt that the waterfront stadium will ever materialize. The economics and finances don't seem to allow it. But slowly I am coming around that there is a way to make the waterfront stadium project become more realistic. If they build a stadium it can't merely be a stadium; it has to be a combo facility that also includes a convention center. The model would be the closed stadium in Indianapolis. It is a football stadium, a convention center and a multi-used facility in the heart of the downtown.

The waterfront development in Buffalo is steadily materializing. There is now a medical corridor that is downtown and is expanding. Building projects that lingered on the drawing board for years are now at the stage where shovels have hit the dirt. My point is that what was once inconceivable now seems less crazy and possible.

Put a Bass pro shop in there as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole idea of putting a team back in LA was just insane. The people there just don't seem to care.

Maybe the business people putting it together dont care, but the citizens do.

I intereact with people. Trust me, people and football fans want a team here.

Ps. The idea is not insane. La is a big @ city. A team here makes sense. It's actually kind of stupid that we dont have one yet. Upgrade the rosebowl or the coliseum. Done! These venues are still being used.

Maybe the business people putting it together dont care, but the citizens do.

I intereact with people. Trust me, people and football fans want a team here.

Ps. The idea is not insane. La is a big @ city. A team here makes sense. It's actually kind of stupid that we dont have one yet. Upgrade the rosebowl or the coliseum. Done! These venues are still being used.

I agree to re-purpose existing facilities.

I understand the desire by developers and planners to centralize activities in the downtown core and I'm happy for this trend after decades of sprawl practices have gutted so many city centers.

But I don't understand the desire to develop in downtown LA. Logistically it has to be a huge undertaking. Consider the amount of eminent domain and condemning which would have to happen just to acquire enough land.

Meanwhile you have two iconic sports arenas, The Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum already sited with parking and infrastructure.

I'm not sure what's driving the downtown LA push but it seems misguided, impractical, and just stupid.

I, for one, would LOVE a downtown stadium. The last time I was in Buffalo, I stayed at the Hampton Inn across from Hutch Tech and it was the Gus Macker weekend. It was actually a hapnin place. It would mean a lot to city.

Agreed. If the LA market gets their 2 teams (Raiders, Chargers, Rams?) before Ralph dies, the bidding price for the Bills franchise goes WAY down.

I hadn't even thought about that. I was thinking of the timing of the lease, but that's probably even more important.

Put a Bass pro shop in there as well.

The Bass Pro store never materialized for a variety of reasons. But even with that void the area is being steadily developed. The shame of that episode is that it went on far too long and then simply collapsed because the BP company decided that it wouldn't work for them. There were factions working to get that store anchored on the waterfront and there were factions working against that business locating it there. Sometimes when option number one is stalled then the right thing to do is to move on with the next option. Instead of freezing up with a particular setback it is better to move forward. That is what is now happening.

Don't get me started on the Peace Bridge fiasco!!!!! :wallbash:

Edited by JohnC

There are a few reasons this idea is dead and it's amazing anyone ever thought it was a feasible idea. Basically AIG wanted to build the stadium and rent it to a team or teams to use. That concept was moronic and had zero chance from the start because there simply wasn't enough money to be made and go around to two different entities. AIG wanted to keep a lot of the sources of income that an owner would need to make a profit. Later they said they would buy a part of a team but that would never work either. It only works if an owner gets all the parking and concessions at their own stadium or publicly owned stadium. It was incredible that these guys at that level didn't see the simplest thing. No owner was going to agree to AIG's terms.

I agree to re-purpose existing facilities.

I understand the desire by developers and planners to centralize activities in the downtown core and I'm happy for this trend after decades of sprawl practices have gutted so many city centers.

But I don't understand the desire to develop in downtown LA. Logistically it has to be a huge undertaking. Consider the amount of eminent domain and condemning which would have to happen just to acquire enough land.

Meanwhile you have two iconic sports arenas, The Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum already sited with parking and infrastructure.

I'm not sure what's driving the downtown LA push but it seems misguided, impractical, and just stupid.

Lack of parking at both locations and the coliseum is in a really bad neighborhood.

Different stadium though.

Back to the Coliseum, it's still home to the University of Spoiled Children Trojans and it was good enough to host an Olympics (actually 2 although 1932 doesn't count anymore).

Why couldn't a Coliseum restoration be part of a South Los Angeles revival?

Because NO ONE wants to go down there for a game. It's in the middle of South Central LA which is one of the worst places anywhere. For some reason they leave USC alone. But no one trusts it. It's one of the most dangerous places in the city. They cannot remake that stadium there.

It is just insane. I am glad the Bills shut down all these notions and simply signed the 7 year lease agreement.

not investing into the city decrepit infrastructure will prove to be more insane. The waterfront idea was exciting and would deal with the Southern portion of Buffalo's waterfront in a very positive way. Cleveland did something similar and it benefited Cleveland tremendously, both from a national perspective, and from an encouraging future investment perspective

The city of Buffalo needs an investment of this magnitude

and you can bet the farm a new owner is going to want a new stadium, ya can not keep slapping on coats of paint on the old Ralph...

Lack of parking at both locations and the coliseum is in a really bad neighborhood.

That is completely TRUE, but actually IRRELEVANT. I'm serious.

The people look so chill and relaxed on saturday for usc games!!!! (Safety in numbers???? Maybe) Surrounding the coliseum you have museums. It's actually very safe and family oriented. Very safe and kid friendly, just to emphasize. Where are my la buddies, to back me up?

Parking? I always find parking in lots. But even if it is a problem, that "problem" will eventually go away. They are extending the expo line which already connects a lot of the westside. Downtown (usc stadium is in downtown la, pretty much) and heading west to culver city. The extension will extend further west to Santa monica. I could go on and on how south la can already use the blue line to get to downtown.

Bottom line: The usc and ucla fans would love a new upgraded stadium. Again, problem freaking solved!!!!!

Because NO ONE wants to go down there for a game. It's in the middle of South Central LA which is one of the worst places anywhere. For some reason they leave USC alone. But no one trusts it. It's one of the most dangerous places in the city. They cannot remake that stadium there.

Again that's not true. Wether its the large crowds, EVERYONE appears to feel secure. Everyone!!!!!!

If the game is over at 4pm and by midnight you are still half drunk, alone, walking around in dark spots with your $1000 dollar watch, then yeah you might get RAPED! But that happens in all major cities.

to add to the point that Buffalo could never afford a 1.4B stadium center is the fact that its just a proposal. In the end, it would never be that much. Some slabs of Granite and Limestone are replaced with Brick, some luxury ideas become more standardized and boom, your talking $800m or even less. What's the price of some other large stadiums around the league? Not every team plays Giants, Jets, Cowboys money to build a stadium. Look at Pitt, New England, Arizona, Seattle, Indy. All new stadiums and none of them over $770M in today's dollars. And only Indy was that much. The rest of those stadiums right around $5M or under in today's dollars.

You can't fix the terrible location in terms of getting in and out. A stadium should NEVER be built on the waterfront, not enough roads to get the paying fans there. Orchard Park at least has roads radiating out in 360 degrees.

New generation of stadiums will not be with all the bangs and whistles. Cities and states can not justify building these facilities when the main tennant uses it 10 times a year. They have to part of a convention center/staidum complex ot something similar. Too many sit unused for a majority of the year. NBA and NHL arenas can be used for other events year around like concerts, wrestling show, the circus and other events. NFL teams are facing an uncertain future on stadiums. LA would like a new team but there is no ground swell of public support. Buffalo nees to build a new stadium, closer to downtown, but needs to part of a grander plan to build housing, hotels, and a convention center.