Iditarod 2013

The 1,000+ mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome, Alaska kicks off tomorrow and a friend of mine is participating. One of my favorite drinking buddies, 67 year old Rudy Demoski is competing in his 7th Iditarod race. He hasn't competed in 27 years, but decided to enter the race this year because he "wasn't getting any younger." His best finish was 4th in 1974, and he has also finished in 9th, 15th, and 18th place in his Iditarod career.

Rudy is an Alaskan Native who is also a world renowned moose hunting guide. He has shown me pic's of him hunting with celebrities like Larry Czonka and Richard Petty. The guy has some amazing stories. Like the time in 1977 when he was leading the Iditarod after 20+ checkpoints, but stopped to get drunk in some village and had to drop out of the race. He also told me this great story about how he raised 2 Grizzly Bear cubs when he was a kid. He and his buddies woke the bears up from their hibernation (in the crawl space below his home) on New Years Eve, got them completely trashed on home-brew, and then (shocker) the bears proceeded to destroy his home. Truly a wild man!

Here's a picture of good ol' Rudy...

403.jpg?e7eff2

If you are interested, you can track Rudy's progress here...

http://iditarod.com/race/2013/

Today (03/02) was the "ceremonial" start in Anchorage. The race officially begins tomorrow, as the mushers embark from Willow, Alaska.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I now officially have a favorite musher to root for this year...the guy sounds tough.....what's his 40 time and is he good in pass coverage as a 4-3 MLB??

haha...Rudy has the "quickest first step" of all the mushers, but his 40 time was a bit disappointing. It should be noted, however, that he stopped after 20 yards to take a swig of fire water from his flask.

haha...Rudy has the "quickest first step" of all the mushers, but his 40 time was a bit disappointing. It should be noted, however, that he stopped after 20 yards to take a swig of fire water from his flask.

My kinda guy.

Gooooo Rudy!!!

Wikipedia says the origional Iditarod race was held in 1973, although portions of the trail used today have been used for a few different sled dog races since the early 1960's.

A native drinking? I can't believe that. The iditarod trail is far older then the 60's. It dates from when someone 110 + years ago discovered the best pass trough the Alaska range. Funny river I believe? Not the one in Kenai.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

A native drinking? I can't believe that. The iditarod trail is far older then the 60's. It dates from when someone 110 + years ago discovered the best pass trough the Alaska range. Funny river I believe?

Yeah, I read about that as well Jim. I think the question from Vader was "how old is the Iditarod race?" I'm just learning about all this stuff. Hell, I'm just a yankee from central NY.

Those dogs are awesome. When in Alaska almost 10 years ago, I took a helicopter to a glacier where they train for the Iditarod race, and it was such an awesome experience. Only way on or off was by helicopter, no phone, no internet, no communication at all except for a sat phone for emergencies. It was beautiful, the dogs were awesome, and it was just a great experience overall.

Here's a video I did back then - the Alaska part starts around the 2:50 mark.

Those dogs are awesome. When in Alaska almost 10 years ago, I took a helicopter to a glacier where they train for the Iditarod race, and it was such an awesome experience. Only way on or off was by helicopter, no phone, no internet, no communication at all except for a sat phone for emergencies. It was beautiful, the dogs were awesome, and it was just a great experience overall.

Here's a video I did back then - the Alaska part starts around the 2:50 mark.

You made the video? That was first class, it made me homesick and I live here! The low laying clouds are classic Alaska maritime sky conditions.

Edit-Damn that was a cool video. I know the bridge the train was going over ,hurricane gulch.

You made the video? That was first class, it made me homesick and I live here! The low laying clouds are classic Alaska maritime sky conditions.

Edit-Damn that was a cool video. I know the bridge the train was going over ,hurricane gulch.

Yup, that's my video. Thanks for the compliment, really appreciate it! :) The "eerie" parts with the ice in the water is near Hubbard Glacier. Our ship was supposed to get close to it, which would've been amazing... Unfortunately someone on the ship had a heart attack, so we had to leave so the coast guard could pick him up and get him treatment... And even more unfortunately, we heard that he passed away anyway. :(

Yup, that's my video. Thanks for the compliment, really appreciate it! :) The "eerie" parts with the ice in the water is near Hubbard Glacier. Our ship was supposed to get close to it, which would've been amazing... Unfortunately someone on the ship had a heart attack, so we had to leave so the coast guard could pick him up and get him treatment... And even more unfortunately, we heard that he passed away anyway. :(

A great video. Looks amazing up there.

29 year old twins Anna and Kristy Berington also racing in the Iditarod this year.

Anna

382.jpg?e7eff2

Kristy

347.jpg?e7eff2

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Only girls in the race that don't look like they were beaten with shovels.

I'm confused Jim...how were his comments nasty?

Calling woman about to go on a wilderness race though the heart of Alaska in winter, which I am certain would kill mr faustus in a few miles[if he ever worked up the nerve to try it] as "being beaten by shovels" is nasty.

Maybe strippier pole girls are more his style.

Probably not to someone who needs to get nasty on a iditarod thread.

:cry:

Calling woman about to go on a wilderness race though the heart of Alaska in winter, which I am certain would kill mr faustus in a few miles[if he ever worked up the nerve to try it] as "being beaten by shovels" is nasty.

Maybe strippier pole girls are more his style.

And I'm the one taking this personal. :rolleyes:

And I'm the one taking this personal. :rolleyes:

Yes...it's pretty apparent to the common observer that the female dog mushers aren't necessarily the most attractive women in the wide world of sports. Now, if Jim's friend or relative was one of the women who was the victim of your "joke," I would understand his response. Otherwise, I say get a sense of humor.

Yes...it's pretty apparent to the common observer that the female dog mushers aren't necessarily the most attractive women in the wide world of sports. Now, if Jim's friend or relative was one of the women who was the victim of your "joke," I would understand his response. Otherwise, I say get a sense of humor.

Don't know any of them. I do admire their guts and courage however and found the remark crude and childish.

Don't know any of them. I do admire their guts and courage however and found the remark crude and childish.

Fair enough Jim.

Rudy successfully departed Willow with his team at 3:14 pm Alaska time. Hopefully he makes up some ground from his 38th starting position by the time he reaches Yetna (42 miles).

.....says the guy who just made a crude and childish remark about alcoholism among natives.

So, you don't like it when people make cracks about others you happen to respect?

Isn't that ironic........

.....says the guy who just made a crude and childish remark about alcoholism among natives.

So, you don't like it when people make cracks about others you happen to respect?

Not crude and childish when they admit it them selves. They know they have a problem with alcohol and so does every one else.

I was merely commenting on the fact that Johns post mentioned his friend needed a "nip".

Don't ya think? You might even say it's like rain on your wedding day.

Not crude and childish when they admit it them selves. They know they have a problem with alcohol and so does every one else.

I was merely commenting on the fact that Johns post mentioned his friend needed a "nip".

I was commenting on my friend, who is an Alaskan Native, who also likes to drink. Not condemning an entire culture of people.

Now, those of us who live in Alaska are well aware that the native population struggles mightily with alcoholism (among other things). That's just a fact. Jim...you have to admit, however, that you are being a bit hypocritical in this situation.

Rudy has dropped back from 35th to 45th place. According to recent reports, he has yet to leave the Finger Lake checkpoint (has been resting there for over 5 hours). I'm hoping that nothing has gone seriously wrong for him. Losing 3 dogs from your team is tough to overcome. It would be great for him to at least finish the race.

Rudy has dropped back from 35th to 45th place. According to recent reports, he has yet to leave the Finger Lake checkpoint (has been resting there for over 5 hours). I'm hoping that nothing has gone seriously wrong for him. Losing 3 dogs from your team is tough to overcome. It would be great for him to at least finish the race.

Sorry about the news. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Pretty good news....after a 6 hour and 4 minute rest (the guy is 67 for chrissakes) Rudy departed the Finger Lake checkpoint with his 13 dog team, and arrived at the Rainy Pass checkpoint after a 4 hour and 58 minute trek. He hasn't left Rainy Pass, so I'm assuming he is staying over night there and will be leaving for the Rohn Roadhouse checkpoint in the morning.

I was afraid Rudy might have dropped out of the race after such a long delay, so I was relieved to hear that he is pushing on. Rudy could make up some serious ground tomorrow, a many mushers take a 24 hour layover at the Rohn Roadhouse checkpoint before entering a long stretch of really treacherous terrain.

GO RUDY!!!!

Pretty good news....after a 6 hour and 4 minute rest (the guy is 67 for chrissakes) Rudy departed the Finger Lake checkpoint with his 13 dog team, and arrived at the Rainy Pass checkpoint after a 4 hour and 58 minute trek. He hasn't left Rainy Pass, so I'm assuming he is staying over night there and will be leaving for the Rohn Roadhouse checkpoint in the morning.

I was afraid Rudy might have dropped out of the race after such a long delay, so I was relieved to hear that he is pushing on. Rudy could make up some serious ground tomorrow, a many mushers take a 24 hour layover at the Rohn Roadhouse checkpoint before entering a long stretch of really treacherous terrain.

GO RUDY!!!!

Well there's always the red lantern award. Just completing that race is a hell of a achievement.

Well there's always the red lantern award. Just completing that race is a hell of a achievement.

Oh yeah, I think it would be amazing for him to finish the race.

Rudy is back in action though. He pushed through the night, arriving with his team at the Rohn Roadhouse checkpoint at 12:51am. He then departed Rohn this morning at 8:25am, and now is mushing one of the more grueling legs of the race (so I have been told); the 85 mile trek to Nikolai which is the first native village on the Iditarod trail. Rudy currently has moved up to 40th place, and has a good chance to move up even further in the standings with a good run today.

Doubly so.