Matt Scott - QB - Arizona

Revisionist history much. Kaepernick and Wilson were complete afterthoughts here. I went back and looked at the archives. There were only a few that liked them enough for the Bills to pick them. Where was this love of these guys from you before their drafts? If you can't post such a thing then you really have no business mocking anyone liking Scott over any of these bozos in this draft class.

If you're so certain, please show me a better (key word) college game video of Wilson or Kaepernick than Scott displays here against Stanford.

There were a few threads on drafting both Wilson and Kaepernick. I wasn't a fan of Wilson until I saw the camp gruden episode. To say that no one though Wilson was good is ridiculous. There were many here that did. Maybe you didn't visit the site as much as you thought. I'm here several times a day and remember thinking people were crazy for wanting to draft Wilson (until I saw the camp gruden with Wilson.)

It seems to me that you just want an athletic QB that can run. Scott was incredibly inconstant. He has tools, no doubt. But also has plenty of question marks. To say that you have no business to mock someone if they don't provide a link to past posts is just garbage. Not everyone lives, eats or breaths TSW or care to spend hours researching to make a post.

That being said, I'd be cool with drafting him in rd 4 or later.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few threads on drafting both Wilson and Kaepernick. I wasn't a fan of Wilson until I saw the camp gruden episode. To say that no one though Wilson was good is ridiculous. There were many here that did. Maybe you didn't visit the site as much as you thought. I'm here several times a day and remember thinking people were crazy for wanting to draft Wilson (until I saw the camp gruden with Wilson.)

It seems to me that you just want an athletic QB that can run. Scott was incredibly inconstant. He has tools, no doubt. But also has plenty of question marks. To say that you have no business to mock someone if they don't provide a link to past posts is just garbage. Not everyone lives, eats or breaths TSW or care to spend hours researching to make a post.

That being said, I'd be cool with drafting him in rd 4 or later.

I think we're splitting hairs here. Maybe I should say that there was no TSW groundswell. We both know what one of those is like here. I don't want to fight with anybody here. I'm too old for that. I was just shocked that this guy has not been seriously discussed at length here.

As for me just wanting an "'athletic QB that can run" go back and watch him throw the ball. That ball explodes off his arm and is very accurate. THAT is what I real like about Matt Scott! The fact that he's athletic and is fast and quick to make cuts and move just ADDS to why I think he's better than any QB in this draft. Here' a highlight of his throws vs USC and an interview…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLgZ4GqGWk

I look at Barkley and Nassib and I see the same throwing motion that Fitzpatrick has. I think that they are both backups at the NFL level because they do not have the arm or athleticism to be a successful starter. Matt Scott has both the arm and athleticism and the only thing is how long to get him comfortable enough to be the starter. Six games in? A year? Two years? If he's a six games in or a year type of learner than the Bills should seriously consider drafting him as their QB of the future in the second round. Maybe after trading back in the round for an extra third would be the best thing to do.

The big knock on Matt Scott is X's and O's. Rich Rods offense calls no plays, it's all spread and option pass routes. Like playground football. When he talked to NFL coaches at the East/West shrine game he was lost and needed extra coaching.

Edited by greenmohawk

The big knock on Matt Scott is X's and O's. Rich Rods offense calls no plays, it's all spread and option pass routes. Like playground football. When he talked to NFL coaches at the East/West shrine game he was lost and needed extra coaching.

Would you rather have a guy who knows Xs and Os but doesn't have the arm or physical skills to be a starting NFL QB (Barkley, Nassib) or the guy with the arm and great physical skills who could be taught the Xs and Os. Obviously you'd want both, but that kind of guy is getting picked #1 overall like Andrew Luck. If Cam Newton (no rocket scientist) can learn an NFL offense then why couldn't this kid?

BTW, Matt Scott beat Russell Wilson's combine cone drills times. A QB who's obviously incredibly quick and athletic. These kind of QBs are the future of the NFL QB position. Guys like Flacco, Brady and Manning are going the way of the dinosaurs. These college programs are not staying with the classic drop back guys any longer. The NFL is changing and old school QBs like Barkley and Nassib will not have any careers of note in the league.

Edited by 1billsfan

Revisionist history much. Kaepernick and Wilson were complete afterthoughts here. I went back and looked at the archives. There were only a few that liked them enough for the Bills to pick them. Where was this love of these guys from you before their drafts? If you can't post such a thing then you really have no business mocking anyone liking Scott over any of these bozos in this draft class.

If you're so certain, please show me a better (key word) college game video of Wilson or Kaepernick than Scott displays here against Stanford.

Well...put me down as one of those guys. I know little of Scott, but Wilson was a massive mistake by this franchise. Check the history.

Would you rather have a guy who knows Xs and Os but doesn't have the arm or physical skills to be a starting NFL QB (Barkley, Nassib) or the guy with the arm and great physical skills who could be taught the Xs and Os. Obviously you'd want both, but that kind of guy is getting picked #1 overall like Andrew Luck. If Cam Newton (no rocket scientist) can learn an NFL offense then why couldn't this kid?

BTW, Matt Scott beat Russell Wilson's combine cone drills times. A QB who's obviously incredibly quick and athletic. These kind of QBs are the future of the NFL QB position. Guys like Flacco, Brady and Manning are going the way of the dinosaurs. These college programs are not staying with the classic drop back guys any longer. The NFL is changing and old school QBs like Barkley and Nassib will not have any careers of note in the league.

I'd want to make sure a guy was able to learn X and Os. I'd want a guy who dealt with them a whole career. And to say Flacco, Manning and Brady are going the way of the dinosaur is a tad premature, is it not? Last time I checked, they are all playoff QBs with Flacco being the MVP in the Superbowl.

I'd also submit that the read option is going to be a focus of every defensive coordinator in this league during the off season. It will be interesting to see how effective it remains.

I'd also submit that the read option is going to be a focus of every defensive coordinator in this league during the off season. It will be interesting to see how effective it remains.

By virtue of the fact that Dave Wannstedt is no longer an NFL DC, it's a given that the spread option will take a hit in production.

Nassib and Barkley both have arm and physical skills. Not to the effect of Scott, but enough to become good starting QBs. While I'm not really a fan of Nassib, I'd MUCH rather have Barkley than Scott and its not even close. The reason I like Scott, is because I think we can grab him in the 4th-6th rd. taking him in rd 2 is crazy IMO. Playing QB is much more than arm strength and running ability. Can he be taught the X's and O's? Maybe. Maybe not. The other 2 guys are miles ahead of him in that department. I can't envision anyone spending a 2nd rd pick on such and unpolished QB. Rds 4-6, Go for it. Any earlier is a huge mistake IMO. There will be some good players available in the 2nd that can come in and start this year. I'd rather have them.

Matt Scott would be a nice developemental QB, it's beyond any of us fans why we haven't drafted QB's. Let's grab two of these guys and see what happens, maybe they both turn out good and we can trade one for high draft pick like the good teams do.

I think we're splitting hairs here. Maybe I should say that there was no TSW groundswell.....

I don't see the relevance of this.

Does having a bigger following on a Bills public forum effect how the actual teams drafting see a player?

I don't see the relevance of this.

Does having a bigger following on a Bills public forum effect how the actual teams drafting see a player?

You need to read the thread to get the whole context. I got dissed for putting Scott in the same boat as Kaepernick and WIlson. It has nothing to do with the Bills picking players.

Edited by 1billsfan

You need to read the thread to get the whole context. I got dissed for putting Scott in the same boat as Kaepernick and WIlson. It has nothing to do with the Bills picking players.

You could suggest Tom Brady on this forum. They'd all say late round project at best on this chat board. They'd spend all day looking for mud on Brady. They'd eventually find one game. They'd say "I told ya so". They'd all say the Bills front office knows less than them. They'd suggest drafting someone....that they'd later say sucks cuz he threw a pic and the front office knows nothing. Then they'd say fire everybody. Cut all the players. Its funny as hell when ya come right down to it.

OP could be right on with this idea. Or not. I for one like suggestions like his. I was not aware of the kid he mentions. He doesn't look too bad to me at all, albeit his read of defenses does appear weak in the video but hey that can be fixed in some cases.

jb

You could suggest Tom Brady on this forum. They'd all say late round project at best on this chat board. They'd spend all day looking for mud on Brady. They'd eventually find one game. They'd say "I told ya so". They'd all say the Bills front office knows less than them. They'd suggest drafting someone....that they'd later say sucks cuz he threw a pic and the front office knows nothing. Then they'd say fire everybody. Cut all the players. Its funny as hell when ya come right down to it.

OP could be right on with this idea. Or not. I for one like suggestions like his. I was not aware of the kid he mentions. He doesn't look too bad to me at all, albeit his read of defenses does appear weak in the video but hey that can be fixed in some cases.

jb

I never took issue with the suggestion...Who would? It's a message board and I welcome any conversation. I would not mind seeing the Bills Draft Scott either (just not in the 2nd Round)...

But the OP still continues to compare Scott favorably with Wilson and Kaepernick as prospects...And I'll I'm saying is...That's impossible...But I'm not saying Scott does not have the potential to play in the NFL...I'm not even saying Scott can't be as good as Wilson or Kaep in the NFL (though I doubt it)...I'm saying Kaep and Wilson were not just good, but great College Football QB's, which in turn made them better NFL prospects coming out...The OP seems to think that point is incorrect because there was not enough people banging the table on TBD for Wilson and Kaep before their Drafts...I'm not trying to dis anyone...I'm arguing a point...

The discussion was started because the OP made the comment that this Vid of Scott vs Stanford was likely as good as any College film on Wilson or Kaep...Which I think is a pretty outrageous statement to be honest...I mean...Y'all can argue that point among yourselves...I've rested my case on it...

And to the OP 1billsfan I do apologize for being a bit of a wise-ass...I can do that sometimes...My bad...I still stand by my argument 100%...But I should not be such a dick about it either... ;)

....I would not mind seeing the Bills Draft Scott either (just not in the 2nd Round)...

So you're saying you would be happy if we drafted him in the 1st round!!! :devil:

He looked good at the combine but I need to see a lot more film on him. Anyway from what I see so far from that 1 clip is that he needs to make more adjustments to pick up blitzers. They are blatantly showing him where they are coming from pre-snap and he's not even motioning guys to come back or changing the play or at least the receivers routes (hot route). Another thing is that his footwork needs A LOT of work. His arm looks decent but his sloppy and often back pedaling motion puts his passes all over the place. He reminds me a lot of Fitz to be totally honest.

I live on the west coast. Watched quite a bit of PAC 12 football as well as saw a good number of Kaepernack games. When I saw Kaep play I saw something in him.....the only issue was that I couldnt tell in watching the games was how his arm strength translated to the Pros and throwing Pro style routes.

This QB from Arizona didnt scare you. Remember he was stuck behind Nick foles in the program so he had only one year playing starter. He would have probably benefited from another year as starting Q with Arizona.

As it is he is slated more as a 5th round pick. Given his performance at the combine he may go up into the 4th. But I dont see the 3rd round.

I never took issue with the suggestion...Who would? It's a message board and I welcome any conversation. I would not mind seeing the Bills Draft Scott either (just not in the 2nd Round)...

But the OP still continues to compare Scott favorably with Wilson and Kaepernick as prospects...And I'll I'm saying is...That's impossible...But I'm not saying Scott does not have the potential to play in the NFL...I'm not even saying Scott can't be as good as Wilson or Kaep in the NFL (though I doubt it)...I'm saying Kaep and Wilson were not just good, but great College Football QB's, which in turn made them better NFL prospects coming out...The OP seems to think that point is incorrect because there was not enough people banging the table on TBD for Wilson and Kaep before their Drafts...I'm not trying to dis anyone...I'm arguing a point...

The discussion was started because the OP made the comment that this Vid of Scott vs Stanford was likely as good as any College film on Wilson or Kaep...Which I think is a pretty outrageous statement to be honest...I mean...Y'all can argue that point among yourselves...I've rested my case on it...

And to the OP 1billsfan I do apologize for being a bit of a wise-ass...I can do that sometimes...My bad...I still stand by my argument 100%...But I should not be such a dick about it either... ;)

No hard feelings at all. When I saw this video I was astonished that this kid hasn't hit the radar here or in the draft expert media. Although that may be changing...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Fourdown-territory-Scotts-rising-stock.html

"I did not foresee such a loud buzz to surround the dual-threat signal-caller after catching the eye of scouts across the league at the NFL's Scouting Combine."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/14-Players-Who-Helped-Their-Draft-Stock-Most-At-Combine.html

"12. Matt Scott, QB, Arizona: Many of the bigger names quarterbacks failed to impress at the Combine, but Scott definitely showed that he has to be considered one of the better developmental prospects. Regarded more as a run first quarterback whose strength was his athleticism, Scott’s quick release, strong arm and accuracy were much better than expected. Scott still needs a big pro day, but if he throws as well as he did in Indy then I believe he will end up climbing to the top of day three on Draft day."

IMO it's for sure, he doesn't get past the Jaguars at #95. His former QB coach at Arizona is now the QB coach for the Jaguars. We all know that the new regime there can't wait to give Blaine Gabbert the boot. Also, I could see an unexpected team with a QB willing to pick Scott in the third round. San Francisco comes to mind since they have so many picks and he'd be a perfect backup if Kaepernick were to get hurt and miss some games. So if the Bills want him it would have to be their 3rd round pick but who's to say the Jags don't get "spooked" seeing his stock rise and pick him with their third rounder. I know many here think I'm crazy, but this is why I'd also consider him with the second round pick. This QB class has all the earmarkings of a dud class. After watching all of the videos, the only two QBs that I really like (they seem to have the combination of NFL level physical skills and leadership qualities) and who I think have that star QB potential is Manuel and Scott. As for Geno Smith, I just get a really bad vibe from him personality-wise. He doesn't seem like a very positive or sociable person to me. I may be wrong, but that's the vibe I get.

Do we as Bills fans really want to look down at "sleeper QB" prospects? Stanford not good enough opponent for you? I've been watching a lot of the 2013 QB youtube videos of Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Manuel ect and not one of them has a better video showing ball throwing skills than the one I posted. That ball shoots out and is on the money every time. Bang bang.

Remember, the Bills passed on Kaepernick and Wilson both of which were pretty much scoffed at by the majority of fans here (including me) as real franchise QB prospects. Not sure if either one had a much better video than Scott's Stanford game.

Dude, I'm here almost everyday. I went back into the damn TSW archives. There was NO clamoring for drafting either of these two players PERIOD

By "no clamoring" I mean other than a few fans showing passionate support for the Bills drafting of either Kaepernick or Wilson.

It nice that you posted the college stats of these guys, but where was this fervor from you in April 2011 or April 2012? It's AMAZING the clarity you have now for these guys. You are basically saying "I told you so" even though you never actually really did tell us so before their respective drafts. The reality is that Matt Scott looks ever bit the NFL QB that Kaepernick and Wilson did when they were being evaluated. I really don't care that he only has one year to look at. That was the case with Cam Newton. I think the long college career thing is played out. I'm not in fear of making another one year wonder Aaron Maybin mistake because I never thought he was big enough in the first place. These college players today are no longer intimidated by the NFL like they were years ago. Matt Scott does not seem intimidated and appears to have the same "I'm really good, you'll see" attitude that both Kaepernick and Wilson had coming into the NFL.

A month ago, you started this thread...

"I just went to the forum archive and searched "Colin Kaepernick". In a word, painful. In another word, why. I'm not posting the links because it's not fair to the people who didn't like Kaepernick at all. It seems I was very high on Newton and didn't even give Kaepernick a second thought. I was amazed at some of the people here who were dead on about this guy. Big props for that.

I will be watching the Superbowl today with some anger that the Bills took Williams when they could drafted had Kaepernick. I'll wonder what was going on in the Bills draft room that day. Were they scared off of him because he looked (not size) and played a similar style of QB to JP Losman and they "didn't want to go there"? Did they really like him, but as a 3rd round pick? There had to be a discussion because there were a lot of discussions here about drafting Kaepernick in the second. Maybe Buddy's comments about now having to draft QBs a round earlier than you'd like pertains specifically to Colin Kaepernick."

You're a riot. The funniest part of all of this is that you are arguning with other posters and your only knowledge of Scott is from a single youtube clip!

You previously touted the Bills picking Geno. Then you were all over Manuel for a while:

"It's still early in the draft season, but he's been my guy who I think will be the safest bet for a franchise, and even possible elite, QB in this class."

"EJ Manuel perfectly fits the new model of early QB success. Athletic, scrambling, fearless QB with a very good arm who can easily have a quick rise to success against the toothless defenses of today's NFL."

...Or wait, was that Scott?...

I could go on--there is so much pure gold in your content. But I'll let you continue. This is awesome.

Edited by Mr. WEO

"I just went to the forum archive and searched "Colin Kaepernick". In a word, painful. In another word, why. I'm not posting the links because it's not fair to the people who didn't like Kaepernick at all. It seems I was very high on Newton and didn't even give Kaepernick a second thought. I was amazed at some of the people here who were dead on about this guy. Big props for that.

I will be watching the Superbowl today with some anger that the Bills took Williams when they could drafted had Kaepernick. I'll wonder what was going on in the Bills draft room that day. Were they scared off of him because he looked (not size) and played a similar style of QB to JP Losman and they "didn't want to go there"? Did they really like him, but as a 3rd round pick? There had to be a discussion because there were a lot of discussions here about drafting Kaepernick in the second. Maybe Buddy's comments about now having to draft QBs a round earlier than you'd like pertains specifically to Colin Kaepernick."

You're a riot. The funniest part of all of this is that you are arguning with other posters and your only knowledge of Scott is from a single youtube clip!

You previously touted the Bills picking Geno. Then you were all over Manuel for a while:

"It's still early in the draft season, but he's been my guy who I think will be the safest bet for a franchise, and even possible elite, QB in this class."

"EJ Manuel perfectly fits the new model of early QB success. Athletic, scrambling, fearless QB with a very good arm who can easily have a quick rise to success against the toothless defenses of today's NFL."

I could go on--there is so much pure gold in your content. But I'll let you continue. This is awesome.

I think this is where the young whippersnappers say "pwned".

Eactly how is "some of the people were dead on" equate to there being a clamoring for Kaeprnick on TSW? Also, the "there were a lot of discussions" comment didn't mean that there was a clamoring for Kaepernick. If anything, it was more so the opposite of that. The majority of the fans here didn't want the Bills to draft him in either rd 1 or rd 2 of the 2011 draft.

I'm not apologizing for being open minded with regards to the QB position and who the Bills should draft, I still am. Only it's down to two QBs now...either Matt Scott and EJ Manuel...LOL

Eactly how is "some of the people were dead on" equate to there being a clamoring for Kaeprnick on TSW? Also, the "there were a lot of discussions" comment didn't mean that there was a clamoring for Kaepernick. If anything, it was more so the opposite of that. The majority of the fans here didn't want the Bills to draft him in either rd 1 or rd 2 of the 2011 draft.

I'm not apologizing for being open minded with regards to the QB position and who the Bills should draft, I still am. Only it's down to two QBs now...either Matt Scott and EJ Manuel...LOL

Maybe clamoring is too strong a word but there was plenty of support for Kaepernick in 2011.

Pretty much every day Tonyjustbecause made the case for Kaepernick. OldTimer posted several times in favor of drafting him as did mrags, Tipster, Reddogblitz, CoachTuesday, Beerball, and yours truly.

Many of us were liking him in a trade down in the middle of round one and when he was still available in 2nd round, it became a no-brainer to draft him in the view of many here.

Scott would seem to be a good fit with the offense of new Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who offered Scott a scholarship to Oregon after the quarterback had already committed to Arizona.

Scott said other teams expressing the most interest at this point include Arizona, Seattle, Washington, Buffalo, Jacksonsville and San Diego.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/arizona-qb-scott-sharp-high-230010198--nfl.html

"When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two."

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6811

I know there are many posters here who have ignored Matt Scott being picked by the Buffalo Bills as a viable "franchise QB" option this coming draft. However after blowing up his pro day (see the links above by other posters), some of these fans who have ignored him had better start coming to realization that he will be picked ahead of Ryan Nassib.

It's funny to me how the "Ryan Nassib" thread has 39 pages and 60,000 views and this thread has a paltry 4 pages and less than 4,000 views, however Ryan Nassib is simply not a viable option for the Bills who are in pursuit of a true franchise QB. Matt Scott is that kind of a player, and until now he's been by far the most under rated player this draft season. He has the entire package, the ability to throw, AND has speed AND has athleticism, AND is very competitive.

I think guys like Barkley and Nassib are "old school" facades for what's really going on in the background. Teams want QBs like Smith, Manuel or Scott. Where they go is obviously a mystery. But there it is, someone has projected Matt Scott as possibly going in the 2nd round! This is something Bills fans should start paying close attention to.

"When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two."

http://www.draftinsi...et/blog/?p=6811

I know there are many posters here who have ignored Matt Scott being picked by the Buffalo Bills as a viable "franchise QB" option this coming draft. However after blowing up his pro day (see the links above by other posters), some of these fans who have ignored him had better start coming to realization that he will be picked ahead of Ryan Nassib.

It's funny to me how the "Ryan Nassib" thread has 39 pages and 60,000 views and this thread has a paltry 4 pages and less than 4,000 views, however Ryan Nassib is simply not a viable option for the Bills who are in pursuit of a true franchise QB. Matt Scott is that kind of a player, and until now he's been by far the most under rated player this draft season. He has the entire package, the ability to throw, AND has speed AND has athleticism, AND is very competitive.

I think guys like Barkley and Nassib are "old school" facades for what's really going on in the background. Teams want QBs like Smith, Manuel or Scott. Where they go is obviously a mystery. But there it is, someone has projected Matt Scott as possibly going in the 2nd round! This is something Bills fans should start paying close attention to.

Maybe it's because you admitted in your OP that you have only seen him play in a single youtube clip....

Maybe it's because you admitted in your OP that you have only seen him play in a single youtube clip....

As per San Jose Bills Fan's link, there are reportedly seven teams interested in Matt Scott...Arizona, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, Buffalo, Jacksonsville and San Diego.

I count two for Ryan Nassib..Buffalo and the New York Jets.

I still stand by my initial reaction to the video of Scott ripping up Stanford's defense, and it seems his rise up the draft board backs up that reaction. If the Bills don't take Matt Scott in the 2nd round, there's a very good chance he'll be gone before their 3rd round pick. This is major news IMO.

As per San Jose Bills Fan's link, there are reportedly seven teams interested in Matt Scott...Arizona, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, Buffalo, Jacksonsville and San Diego.

I count two for Ryan Nassib..Buffalo and the New York Jets.

I still stand by my initial reaction to the video of Scott ripping up Stanford's defense, and it seems his rise up the draft board backs up that reaction. If the Bills don't take Matt Scott in the 2nd round, there's a very good chance he'll be gone before their 3rd round pick. This is major news IMO.

Well, not really. 6 of those teams are ones Matt Scott reports are interested in him. So, consider the source.

Anyway, that articl makes it seem he will struggle to keep his weight much over 200 lbs. Lightweight QBs haven't fared so well in the NFL..