QB Report from the Combine

simpleman

Looking at the latest mocks, I'm not sure how I feel about us drafting Geno if he drops to us at 8. I think after the combine, that he is still the best. But still not sure it is best for the Bills to take him in the first. If we do that, and he does not appear to be the answer, we will stick with him and we will not even consider getting a true franchise QB next year because we invested a 1st round top 10 pick this year on him and we will be afraid to admit we blew it selecting him. Investing a later round in a QB does not represent such a stigma to the FO if the pick does not work out. I see any QB draft selection this year as a huge question mark. Next year is shaping up to be a much better year to get a franchisee QB.

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ogletree 1st round , Mathius (aka honey badger, pothead ) second round, Nasib 3rd round, WR, WR CB LB or OL the remaining picks. I watched the Corners and Dee Milliner was sloppy. Dropped a ton of balls and other than his 40 time, didn't really show his quickness in drills like the honey badger. I know that he's been out a year due to suspensions but he looked like a top ten pick. Get him in the 2nd round and it will be the steal of the draft ( thats if he can keep his nose, head, rectum and anywhere else you can shove drugs into clean).

Cleveland misses: 2007 Brady Quinn rd 1 #22 , 2010 Colt Mc Coy rd 3 #85 , 2012 Brandon Weeden rd 1 #22

I don't get the Weeden negativity. I watched more than a few of the Brown's games last year and he has a good arm and can hit any spot on the field. If there is a problem with the Browns it is their protection and receiving core. Bad routes and drops plague that group, and Weeden was always under pressure. If they shore up the LT position and Guard positions, and select a quality target or two for Weeden then they are not too far off as they already have a quality RB and a decent defense. They were really close last year and I think they only had two losses where the games got out of hand and became blowouts, other than that they hung tough with just about every team they faced. They are a tough team that just can't get over the hump.

Personally I think that Weeden is as good if not better than any of the QB's in this latest crop.

Not sure if Norv is the guy to get the Browns over the hump offensively - seems a bit of a dud selection as he did nothing for San Diego.

Ogletree 1st round , Mathius (aka honey badger, pothead ) second round, Nasib 3rd round, WR, WR CB LB or OL the remaining picks. I watched the Corners and Dee Milliner was sloppy. Dropped a ton of balls and other than his 40 time, didn't really show his quickness in drills like the honey badger. I know that he's been out a year due to suspensions but he looked like a top ten pick. Get him in the 2nd round and it will be the steal of the draft ( thats if he can keep his nose, head, rectum and anywhere else you can shove drugs into clean).

The "Honey Badger" has been booted out of LSU's program even though he played at a high level for the school. I think that we better ponder just how big of a dope he had to be to accomplish that feat. Further, he is very undersized for the NFL. He is likely, at best, a nickel corner who lacks the size to play bigger receivers. He was listed at 5'9" 175lbs by LSU's program. That is likely generous - and that is Roscoe Parrish size. That doesn't mean that he isn't a great athlete, but can you see him trying to cover any of the 6'+ 210+ WRs in the NFL? Now, I'll admit that I'd be intrigued with taking him in the 3rd or 4th with the sole purpose of covering Wes Welker.

I don't get the Weeden negativity. I watched more than a few of the Brown's games last year and he has a good arm and can hit any spot on the field. If there is a problem with the Browns it is their protection and receiving core. Bad routes and drops plague that group, and Weeden was always under pressure. If they shore up the LT position and Guard positions, and select a quality target or two for Weeden then they are not too far off as they already have a quality RB and a decent defense. They were really close last year and I think they only had two losses where the games got out of hand and became blowouts, other than that they hung tough with just about every team they faced. They are a tough team that just can't get over the hump.

Personally I think that Weeden is as good if not better than any of the QB's in this latest crop.

Not sure if Norv is the guy to get the Browns over the hump offensively - seems a bit of a dud selection as he did nothing for San Diego.

I agreed with every word of this post until your last sentence.

Norv Turner has a sterling reputation in the NFL as an offensive mind and the Chargers excepting last season were a Top 5 scoring offense in each of the last 6 years.

Yardage-wise they were a consistent Top 10 offense.

Finally the demise last season of the Chargers offense was more likely a result of the deposed AJ Smith's failure to replace key cogs like Thomlinson, an aging Gates, a departed Vincent Jackson and Michael Turner, etc.

I know some Browns fans and they are rightly thrilled with the hiring of Turner as their OC.

You know its amazing to me how at this time of year how we continue to "talk ourselves out of" drafting a QB high.....

I think people get skittish because of JP Losman and Rob Johnson......the last two QB's that we have taken with a 1st round pick have floundered.

I WISH people would get this straight....we need to continue to draft high first round QB's till we find one that sticks......whether it be Gino Smith, Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkely, Tyler Wilsons.....whatever.......we need to continue to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round of drafts until we find the guy to biuld around......

Personally? If Gino Smith is there at 8 I draft him and dont look back.....his accuracy is outstanding andhe has all the tools

if we need someone like Cordello Patterson or Milinar the corner in the 1st....then Ryan Nassib is smart....is accurate...and has excellent arm strength

KEEP DRAFTING THEM TILL WE HIT ON ONE

Many here have been talking about drafting a QB since week 1 of last season. So many here wanted Geno Smith but accepted the idea of him not falling to 8.

Now that Smith could be available when we select people are going to cherry pick a few throws from the combine and things said by a talking head on TV and completely ignore his entire body of work?

If Genonis available you thank your lucky stars and run up to the podium. The people talking about passing on a QB this year will be the first ones making doom and gloom threads after Fitz throws his first Interception.

So many here wanted Geno Smith but accepted the idea of him not falling to 8.

Now that Smith could be available when we select...

I still don't get this. There's 5 teams ahead of us that may likely pick a QB. For those who want Geno, keep dreaming. It ain't gonna happen.

I watched Sunday and I have to say I wouldn't draft any of them except maybe in the 3rd round or later to develop a backup. I was really dissapointed. I was hoping our 'system QB' would be there but sorry I wouldn't take any of them.

Time to just suck up another crap season and maybe we lose enough to get a top 2 pick or we will be out of the QB race again next year.

It took you for you to watch the actual combines to realize this class is full of duds? I wouldn't even waste a draft pick on a developmental guy. Whats the point? That's just a waste of a roster spot that could be used on a potential starter.

And yes. This is the worst time for sports in general.

Is this what your crystal ball told you?

No. Mathematics and probability theory told me.

Seriously though. QB is THE most important position in football. No question there. 5 teams ahead of us saw inadequate play out of this position. How else who you solve that problem? Pick the best QB this draft has to offer?

Edited by kas23

No. Mathematics and probability theory told me.

Seriously though. QB is THE most important position in football. No question there. 5 teams ahead of us saw inadequate play out of this position. How else who you solve that problem? Pick the best QB this draft has to offer?

So basically what you're saying is that you don't know for certain? Gotcha.

I agreed with every word of this post until your last sentence.

Norv Turner has a sterling reputation in the NFL as an offensive mind and the Chargers excepting last season were a Top 5 scoring offense in each of the last 6 years.

Yardage-wise they were a consistent Top 10 offense.

Finally the demise last season of the Chargers offense was more likely a result of the deposed AJ Smith's failure to replace key cogs like Thomlinson, an aging Gates, a departed Vincent Jackson and Michael Turner, etc.

I know some Browns fans and they are rightly thrilled with the hiring of Turner as their OC.

We will see, it was a rather flippant comment on my part just because it seems a bit out of fashion these days to reach into the pile of NFL retread coaches for a solution, but if he is just focusing on OC duties he may do well in that situation.

We will see, it was a rather flippant comment on my part just because it seems a bit out of fashion these days to reach into the pile of NFL retread coaches for a solution, but if he is just focusing on OC duties he may do well in that situation.

We shall see indeed.

I wonder how Norv views Weedon. There've been recent rumors that the new Cleveland regime isn't too thrilled with their QBs.

I wonder how true that is and how much of that might be Chudzinski and how much might be Norville.

No more Fitz!

I'd rather watch TJac just feed the ball to our RBs 90% of the time and make a few throws to keep the D honest than see Fitz in there anymore. The result in the end would be the same as last year anyway, a top 10 pick in next years draft. I just can't take the image of Fitz loosing anymore games for Buffalo. At least TJac loosing them will be different. Or grab a couple of latter round pick QBs and enjoy them trying to battle it out to be the backup QB next year when we get our real Franchise QB. At least the drama of them battling it out might be more exciting than watching Fitz blow yet another season.

Edited by simpleman

Geno Smith, Barkley, Jones, Wilson, Bray, Nassib - I'll take any of them. We need some fresh blood at QB with "potential"! We've seen what Fitz has to offer and it's not going to get any better nor is it good enough. Our top needs are: 1) Re-sign Byrd & Levitre. 2) New LBs. 3) QB 4) WRs

My prediction for this coming season is 5 wins. tough schedule & a new coaching staff will get us another high draft pick next year which will be the year we finally make the playoffs!

I still don't get this. There's 5 teams ahead of us that may likely pick a QB. For those who want Geno, keep dreaming. It ain't gonna happen.

The only 2 teams possibly taking a QB before us are the Browns and Cardinals. No other team is going near this whack QB class.

You know its amazing to me how at this time of year how we continue to "talk ourselves out of" drafting a QB high.....

I think people get skittish because of JP Losman and Rob Johnson......the last two QB's that we have taken with a 1st round pick have floundered.

I WISH people would get this straight....we need to continue to draft high first round QB's till we find one that sticks......whether it be Gino Smith, Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkely, Tyler Wilsons.....whatever.......we need to continue to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round of drafts until we find the guy to biuld around......

Personally? If Gino Smith is there at 8 I draft him and dont look back.....his accuracy is outstanding andhe has all the tools

if we need someone like Cordello Patterson or Milinar the corner in the 1st....then Ryan Nassib is smart....is accurate...and has excellent arm strength

KEEP DRAFTING THEM TILL WE HIT ON ONE

+1. You won't find your QB if you don't look for them....And we have to stop thinking about Losman, Johnson etc. Losman was a raw talent...Barkley is NFL ready with a 4 year starting gig at USC. The Bills just need to pick the QB and stick with him from day 1. This guy is deadly accurate. He would have been a Top-3 pick if he had come out in the draft last year.

I hope this team stops picking 1-year wonders and DBs in the 1st round. We need more tougher talent....and before I forget, a QB.

KC - Traded for Alex Smith with possibly 2 2nd-round picks. Can't see them spending their top pick on a QB.

Jax - Good possibility, especially if Mr. Khan is not sold on Gabbert

Oakland - Minor possibility, if Palmer will not reduce his salary and Raiders cut ties with him.

Philadelphia - Decent possibility. Kelly has picked Vick for this year. But that doesn't mean he will not draft one and get him up to speed next year.

Cleveland - Good possibility. New regime, new HC...May want to have a clean start

Detroit - Definite No.

Arizona - The biggest threat to us. Even if they get Cassell, he will be a backup. But they also may be more enamored by Barkley than Geno Smith

Out of the 7,

Definite No: 2 (KC, Detroit)

Minor Possibility - 2 (Oakland, Philly)

Decent Possibility - 1 (Cleveland)

Biggest threat - 1 (Arizona)

I believe only Cleveland and Arizona are in between us from getting either Smith or Barkley.