Pet Peeves- List them

BringBackFergy

Not really. There is a new/modern definition of irony. It is called situational irony. Is this what you are referring to people messing up? People get all bent when the traditional definition of irony isn't used. Alanis Morrissette's song "Ironic" revolves around situational irony.

I think you're right when they use the term ironic to suggest situational irony, but it's still ill-fitting, to me--not quite the same situational irony as the Alanis Morissette song.

I guess a hipster would say, "this is situationally ironic that I am listening to Journey; I am super cool and know great music, but, hey, look at me, I'm listening to 80s cheese rock."

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL... Touche!

But I will take a hipster stab @ it. Journey in its heyday was as monolithic and mainstream as one could get! Even R.E.M breaking in could have never thought to have aspired to such heights (go figure what was to become). Now of all things... Listening to such mainstream is actually cool and different.

R.E.M will soon be ironic.

:-P

I can't believe the lack of respect for Journey from this board!!! :)

LoL...

All around my village, some body is sticking "Don't" stickers above and "Believing" stickers below the word "Stop" on the stop signs. There is plenty of respect for Journey in this world!

;-)

I like Journey (best part of Caddyshack was Rodney on the fairway with his golf bag stereo and Journey blaring)...I was trying to quote the "I can't believe the lack of respect for Levitre from this board" thread but screwed it up. :/

Not really. There is a new/modern definition of irony. It is called situational irony. Is this what you are referring to people messing up? People get all bent when the traditional definition of irony isn't used. Alanis Morrissette's song "Ironic" revolves around situational irony.

As it happens, that was a legitimate pet peeve of mine.

The original irony has quite a specific application that can be used relatively frequently.....where no other replacement word(s) could convey the same meaning for its use.

I figure that so many people miss-used the word that over time, the definition changed.....and is now technically appropriate to be used to simply mean bad luck. IMO it is one of the few times where the English language has evolved to hinder communication.....rather than improve it.

......and yes.....I see my own hypocrisy on my views on the word irony in correlation to my other pet-peeve that I listed earlier.

.....and yes.....I see the irony of the situation.

All that said, my favourite definition is that from the BBC comedy Blackadder....

Are the words Australians speak even considered English? I bet the Aussies even liked "new" Coke before Americans forced the return to the classic Coke formula:

:nana:

G'doi Moit.

They are indeed considered English.....though one often needs a translator to understand the accent.....or earplugs if one is around too many Australians in a confined area.

We may not have a very nice sounding accent......but at least a majority of us know that the language we speak is English........unlike Americans who somehow think that they are speaking American. :w00t:

:nana:

Pet peeve: people taking a perfectly good pet peeve thread and turning it into an ironic discussion of Journey.

OK fine - back to Pet Peeves (to keep "Steve Beerball Perry" happy):

When my ATM asks if I want to conduct my transaction in English.....uhhhhh, yes please. I haven't brushed up on my Middle English or Czechoslovakian in years and my ability to read braile is shaky at best...I guess English will have to do.

Athletes or other celebrities who win a championship or award and then state that the experience was "humbling." It makes me yearn for the good old days when Magic Johnson said he was going to be a spokesman for the virus.

I understand your first sentence - it must be in PR 101 or something, because winning The Masters or a gold medal would sure not make me humble!...............I don't get your 2nd sentence about Magic.

I understand your first sentence - it must be in PR 101 or something, because winning The Masters or a gold medal would sure not make me humble!...............I don't get your 2nd sentence about Magic.

Magic did a lot of good by going public about his illness, but the particular words he used when he made his announcement made it sound like he was going to try to (1) help the virus, rather than (2) help those searching for a cure or those educating the public about prevention. Some of the late-night talk show hosts made jokes about it at the time, so I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

People farting on planes ...as was the case on my 41/2 hour flight yesterday. Jesus, get your ass up and go the potty.

Pople who slam their seats back an hour into a flight, nearly spilling/breaking what ever you have on the tray. I get it is your right to put the seat back( I never do), but can you not have the courtesy of a quick head turn and the words " I am going to put my seat back"...would that really beso freaking hard?

BTW,flew Virgin America for first time this trip, as pleasant a flying experience as I have had for several years.

People farting on planes ...as was the case on my 41/2 hour flight yesterday. Jesus, get your ass up and go the potty.

Pople who slam their seats back an hour into a flight, nearly spilling/breaking what ever you have on the tray. I get it is your right to put the seat back( I never do), but can you not have the courtesy of a quick head turn and the words " I am going to put my seat back"...would that really beso freaking hard?

BTW,flew Virgin America for first time this trip, as pleasant a flying experience as I have had for several years.

People behind me on a plane who complain about my reclined seat and the fact that I have an intestinal condition requiring me to flatulate every 30 minutes. :D

I don't think plane or airport incidents count as pet peeves,since the entire flying experience is one big pet peeve.

People behind me on a plane who complain about my reclined seat and the fact that I have an intestinal condition requiring me to flatulate every 30 minutes. :D

Every 30 minutes would have been a welcome relief :doh: ! Dude must have been drinking the San Francisco equivalent of Green Genny Screamers the day before.

And to claify, it is not that the seat is reclined, it is the manner in which it is reclined, slammed with no warning. I almost always ping the passenger in front of me and so no worries if you recline, but please tell me beforew you do so..forgot yesterday and almost had an entire Anchor Steam in my lap..as it was about a 1/4 splieed onto tray.

I don't think plane or airport incidents count as pet peeves,since the entire flying experience is one big pet peeve.

Good point. Like I mentioned though, Virgin America was really nice experience. Nice seats, enough legroom, TV at the seats, and you order drinks and food from the TV, you open up a tab at the beginning, and away you go. Decent beers too, not just Bud, Heineken or Coors light

Edited by plenzmd1

TV's in seats and electronic bar tab?? Actual legroom? Sounds nice. I'll check that out for our next flight.

I have not flown them yet, but will when I have the opportunity if their price is competitive. This is from the company's own press release, but seems like a verifiable fact that they wouldn't choose to lie about:

http://www.virginame...alty-event.html

In just over five years flying, Virgin America was named “Best Domestic Airline” in the Condé Nast Traveler 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 ‘Readers’ Choice’ Awards and “Best Domestic Airline” in Travel + Leisure’s 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 ‘World’s Best’ Awards.

. . . People who slam their seats back an hour into a flight, nearly spilling/breaking what ever you have on the tray. I get it is your right to put the seat back( I never do), but can you not have the courtesy of a quick head turn and the words " I am going to put my seat back"...would that really beso freaking hard? . . .

We may disagree about Starbucks, but I'm with ya on this one. If you're tall with your legs wedged up against that seatback to start with, it's not just rude, it's painful. Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I've got the counter to your seatback issue...wife and I got on what would be a 7-hour flight to Maui, and the guy sitting behind me -- some crotchety old dude -- won't let me put the seat back. Literally slams his knees up against the seat so it won't recline. I politely ask and he says, "no -- I don't have any room." I'm no brawler -- and certainly not against a senior citizen -- so thankfully there were two seats on the opposite side of the plane for us to move to. And the flight attendants did recognize what we were dealing with and fed us free booze for the duration of the flight.

I've got the counter to your seatback issue...wife and I got on what would be a 7-hour flight to Maui, and the guy sitting behind me -- some crotchety old dude -- won't let me put the seat back. Literally slams his knees up against the seat so it won't recline. I politely ask and he says, "no -- I don't have any room." I'm no brawler -- and certainly not against a senior citizen -- so thankfully there were two seats on the opposite side of the plane for us to move to. And the flight attendants did recognize what we were dealing with and fed us free booze for the duration of the flight.

This a Pet Peeves thread. Please use the "Dream the Impossible Dream" thread for posts like this. :thumbsup:

I have not flown them yet, but will when I have the opportunity if their price is competitive. This is from the company's own press release, but seems like a verifiable fact that they wouldn't choose to lie about:

http://www.virginame...alty-event.html

We may disagree about Starbucks, but I'm with ya on this one. If you're tall with your legs wedged up against that seatback to start with, it's not just rude, it's painful.

Haha..i was being sarcastic in the other post, sorry no come through.

Their price is fine, lack of routes and connections is what is tough.

Free booze good, except flying to Maui leaving at 7.AM East, getting there at 1.00 PM local time, and already be schknockered :beer:

That's ridiculous. I don't normally recline my seat, but everyone has the right to do so.

I will say that I will recline if someone reclines in front if me. it's a chain reaction.