Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect the Bills to pick him but I would not be upset at all if they did. Oh and as for you C Buiscut, Matt Millen also drafted Calvin Johnson. Heard of him?

We're not comparing Calvin Johnson to Austin though...Right? B-)

No...No he was not... ;)

I understood him to be saying picking Austin at 8 was a Matt Millen move. There is stuff on the net including other team message boards ridiculing Matt Millen as a picker, for example an all WR draft.

We know why people make fun of Matt the GM. I didn't see what this had to do with the Bills possibly picking Austin.

If I was a NFL QB, I'd rather have two short, fast, sneaky WRs who got open than tall WRs who I could 'throw open.'

I get why people say we need a big WR who can go get the ball but if we focus on that, we end up picking guys like James Hardy and passing over guys like DeSean Jackson.

Wow just wowwwwww!!!! I say now that buffalo will not tender nelson...how about they draft #8 patterson and #41 austin???? :D that would be a dynamic WR crew.....Stevie 13 C patterson and T austin.....hmmmmmm looks good to me...... .just who will get them the ball? Well draft T bray he should be,there in the 3rd

Austin will not get out of the top end of the draft. St Louis has 2 first rd picks. they will grab him with one of them

If I was a NFL QB, I'd rather have two short, fast, sneaky WRs who got open than tall WRs who I could 'throw open.'

I get why people say we need a big WR who can go get the ball but if we focus on that, we end up picking guys like James Hardy and passing over guys like DeSean Jackson.

You mean like Marino had with the Marks Brothers? Mark Clayton, Mark Duper or the Redskins with the smurfs, Gary Clark, Rickey Sanders?

The Bills keep looking for their Plaxico, and all they do is keep shooting themselves in the leg . Marcus Easley - James Hardy

You mean like Marino had with the Marks Brothers? Mark Clayton, Mark Duper or the Redskins with the smurfs, Gary Clark, Rickey Sanders?

The Bills keep looking for their Plaxico, and all they do is keep shooting themselves in the leg . Marcus Easley - James Hardy

I don't exactly think that harkening back to the 1980's is the best way to approach putting together a WR corps.

The only team with multiple small WRs right now, that I can think of, is Philadelphia, and they haven't exactly won anything with those guys.

I think the success of teams like the Giants, Green Bay, etc. shows that you need a variety of pass-catchers. Big guys that can fight it out for the ball (Barden/Finley), small guys with short-area quickness (Cruz/Cobb), big fluid route-runners (Nicks/Nelson), burners with straight-line speed that can run a go-route (Hixon/Jennings); it takes all types.

I don't exactly think that harkening back to the 1980's is the best way to approach putting together a WR corps.

The only team with multiple small WRs right now, that I can think of, is Philadelphia, and they haven't exactly won anything with those guys.

I think the success of teams like the Giants, Green Bay, etc. shows that you need a variety of pass-catchers. Big guys that can fight it out for the ball (Barden/Finley), small guys with short-area quickness (Cruz/Cobb), big fluid route-runners (Nicks/Nelson), burners with straight-line speed that can run a go-route (Hixon/Jennings); it takes all types.

and i think more than diversity even - it speaks to stockpiling talent and if you have the 5 best overall receivers available to you, odds are you will have the best wr group.... even if they dont perfectly fit some mold.

Austin at #8 works for me. He can score points from anywhere on the field. Speed and good hands wins over size. Let Hackett find a way to use him. Surely we can find a decent red zone target (like Chandler) in a later round or free agency.

@MoveTheSticks: Here's my latest mock draft: http://t.co/dkhXlrA69U #NFLDraft

its an interesting balance on this board - ive noticed some overlap between the anti-geno crowd in one thread saying "geno just threw screens to austin, austin is the reason he looks good" and then this thread "i dont want austin, hes just roscoe"

and in this trio it seems bailey is totally forgotten around here these days - how have his workouts been going? dude caught 25 td passes last year. (not talking at 8, but in general curious how his stock is trending)

Edited by NoSaint

I wonder why:

2012 All Pro WRs:

Megatron 6'5" 236

Brandon Marshal 6'1" 238

2nd team:

AJ Green 6'4" 207 (pantywaist)

Andre Johnson 6'3" 230

Other than Welker in 2011 (and who wouldn't benefit from Brady), none of the first or second team all pro wideouts have been under 6-feet and 190 lbs...

Edited by Lurker

I wonder why:

2012 All Pro WRs:

Megatron 6'5" 236

Brandon Marshal 6'1" 238

2nd team:

AJ Green 6'4" 207 (pantywaist)

Andre Johnson 6'3" 230

Other than Welker in 2011 (and who wouldn't benefit from Brady), none of the first or second team all pro wideouts have been under 6-feet and 190 lbs...

Brandon Marshall is listed at 6-4 in most places...But I always thought he was 6-5...I'm sure that was a typo because your point is well taken...Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones fit that mold as well... B-)

Whaley explains Austin is on high on the Bills radar.

http://www.nfl.com/n...alo-bills-radar

I don't think that this is a smoke screen (or shocking). The Bills have 1 WR and a decent TE coming off of MAJOR surgery. That is it in terms of pass catchers!! I think that we will see a minimum of 2 and possibly 3 players drafted between TE and WR.

Edited by Kirby Jackson