Lindy Ruff fired!

bbb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, they cover hockey...perhaps not with the zest of football, basketball or baseball, but they do show highlights. Almost every night, during hockey season, there are 2 or 3 NHL highlights in their "top 10" plays of the night...a number of their anchors are big NHL aficionados. Also, Melrose still has his segments a few nights a week...

Here is a good discussion of the Sabres current situation:

http://espn.go.com/b...into-postseason

Funny story (to me anyway): About 5 years ago, my friends & I made a Vegas trip. At the Palms pool, I was wearing a Sabres t-shirt and a guy nearby yelled, "Hey Sabres guy!" I looked and he was wearing a Sabres hat. We chatted a bit and he mentioned that he had run into Steve Levy earlier and because he was wearing the hat, they talked NHL for a few minutes. The next day at the same pool we had a cabana. Next to us was Levy and his group. Not wanting to be "that guy", I left him alone. But my buddy had decided he didn't want to sleep on this trip and was about 40 hours into his binge and feeling good. So good, in fact, he felt it would be a good idea to hit on the pretty girl in the bikini in the pool, talking to Steve Levy. In his stupor he didn't see the ring or simply didn't care and was all "Hey, how YOU doin'?" Levy says to him (they're both about 6'2"), "What the f*&k are you doing?" My friend replies, "What the f*&k does it look like I'm doing?" I call time out and send him to his room. I later told Levy that I gave my friend "A game misconduct". He laughed at that. We never talked Sabres.

:lol: That is some funny stuff. I have met Levy a couple of times, when WFAN was new...I was living in NYC. Seemed like a pretty cool guy...and I know he, John Buccergross (sp?) and Linda Cohen are all big NHL fans...I think Verses tried to lure Levy away from ESPN when they started showing hockey, but he stayed put.

Btw- Are either of these ladies the bikini girl?

http://coedbc.files....jpg?w=409&h=308

Didn't realize, Ruff finished with 571 victories as Sabres head coach..it is the second most in NHL history with one team...about 170 behind Al Arbour...next closest is 510 for Barry Trotz...longevity!

Edited by Buftex

:lol: That is some funny stuff. I have met Levy a couple of times, when WFAN was new...I was living in NYC. Seemed like a pretty cool guy...and I know he, John Buccergross (sp?) and Linda Cohen are all big NHL fans...I think Verses tried to lure Levy away from ESPN when they started showing hockey, but he stayed put.

Btw- Are either of these ladies the bikini girl?

http://coedbc.files....jpg?w=409&h=308

Didn't realize, Ruff finished with 571 victories as Sabres head coach..it is the second most in NHL history with one team...about 170 behind Al Arbour...next closest is 510 for Barry Trotz...longevity!

The girl in question is now Levy's wife and she wasn't blonde - just a petite brunette that was just minding her own business. Every now and then I text my buddy and remind him about that. He laughs because though he's a big dude, he's no fighter. "Good thing you stepped in Hopper, 'cause that guy would have hurt me bad. Her, too."

Ruff's win total in his first HC job is the record but Trotz will likely pass him. It's a sad day all-the-way-around.

ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL, so they don't cover it. Why should they pimp out for NBC? Now we get a lots of stuff about European soccer because, well...

I hate how they are just trying to build up soccer so they can dominate more. Other than a handful of guys on this board, I don't know anybody who cares about this crap - since when do Americans care about other countries leagues? Wait - we just lost to Honduras - Oh NO!...........And, when every single month of the year there is something that is so important and pretentious going on, I have no idea if there is even an off season to that sport.

I doubt there are more people who care about it in the US on the pro level than those who care about the NHL.

Yeah, but the Pred haven't been around since 1970... Let alone the last 20, they were founded in 1998.

It was a mostly sarcastic response, which is why I included the smiley. I realize the importance of what promo said. It does have me thinking about other guys who stuck with one team for such a long period. A guy like Gordie Howe immediately comes to mind and his ungodly amount of time with Detroit. That can never measure up percentage-wise obviously thanks to the Wings being around so long.

ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL, so they don't cover it. Why should they pimp out for NBC? Now we get a lots of stuff about European soccer because, well...

I think it was probably just time for a change but I can't help feeling like something good died today. Those were some great rides.

Exactly, I know some people do not like ESPN & I do have my issues with some of their stuff but I am a college basketball junkie & they do a terrific job covering that sport. I mean there are games on 2 out of their 3 main channels(ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU) every night & sometimes all three are covering it. I am surprised they have not made a play for the NCAA Tournament. They could easily not even get any other Networks involved & just put all the games on their 4/5 networks. They pimp soccer now because they cover it & they are always pimping the NBA because they cover it. Like ESPN or not The NHL made a grave mistake by cutting ties with ESPN(it may of been the other way around). ESPN gave them visibility on a nightly basis something the NHL has not had since their relationship ended.

Yup. And further evidence that ESPN sucks.

They're like a cable news network that only reports things that support a specific political agenda.

It was a mostly sarcastic response, which is why I included the smiley. I realize the importance of what promo said. It does have me thinking about other guys who stuck with one team for such a long period. A guy like Gordie Howe immediately comes to mind and his ungodly amount of time with Detroit. That can never measure up percentage-wise obviously thanks to the Wings being around so long.

So true! Good point. I never knew Al Arbor was coaching (games) with the Isles for that long!(but, no consecutive).

So true! Good point. I never knew Al Arbor was coaching (games) with the Isles for that long!(but, no consecutive).

And then in terms of coach/front office types, you have guys like Lou Lamoriello in NJ (26 years and counting) and Jim Rutherford with Hartford/Carolina (29 years and counting). So there are a number of guys who have been in one place longer in pure numbers than Ruff, I just can't think of any who would up as both players and coaches there.

Maybe Yzerman with his 20+ year career and then 4 years in the Detroit front office?

The video is a classic. The poor guy was worn down. Best of luck to lindy. The sabres had do something. Pegula hobby was getting an ass kicking by the fans.

Bring back the redhead # 6 in your programs. Love that guy. Now working for the rangers farm team i think.

Bring back the redhead # 6 in your programs. Love that guy. Now working for the rangers farm team i think.

Bringing in Housley is the only move that makes sense to me, as far as getting the fans to accept someone new. Even if Phil sucks for a couple of seasons and then you transition into someone else. Going from Lindy Ruff to a no-name or new-name is going to be tough. Unless the new guy can get us a Cup right away...